• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Finally getting somewhere

Lucy86

Hi everyone

Well after a very slow start to my journey, waiting months for my initial appointment I would like to thank those who reassured and encouraged me to stick with it.

My GP appointment was last May when my referral was made to the Weight Management Team. I eventually got my appointment for the seminar in October, and since then I've had my first MDT meeting and a subsequent physio appointment.

I have been given a target of 7kg to lose, and to quit smoking. I have started to lose it slowly, and am on day 4 of being a non smoker.

I have also been referred for a gym membership, which I received a phone call for today giving me an appointment for my consultation next week.

Initially I was told I had to be on Tier 3 for 12 months but now they are saying 6-12 months (maybe because I am on the verge of a BMI of 50). I'm feeling much more positive now.

Just got to do some research into bypass and sleeve to help me decide :)

Lucy xx

Welcome and good luck! I had my sleeve op just over 10 weeks ago and I already feel like a new woman - it's definitely worth it!

Keep up the good work re: stopping smoking!

Don't forget to let us know how you get on. :) x

Thanks ladies x

How did you find the sleeve? I'm totally torn between the two as had my heart set on a bypass until I read a little about the sleeve.

Lucy xx

Bypass. The gold standard of WLS. You must decide with the help of your consultant who will know what is most likely to be the best option for you. Welcome and good luck

I chose sleeve as it was the best option for me. It's a very personal decision so don't get swayed by those who say one is better than the other - different courses for different horses as it were.

The reason I chose the sleeve was that I needed more restriction than a band but I didn't feel I had enough co-morbidities to opt for a bypass. My consultant said that due to my age and that I "only" had type 2 diabetes, the bypass wouldn't be the best option.

Listen to what the consultant has to say, do your research fully, and don't decide on a surgery just because someone says it's the best.

So far I am really happy with the sleeve. I've lost nearly 5 stone and am down 3 dress sizes. I am learning how to eat properly and not shoveling food down my throat. I take my time and can now realise when I don't need any more food. I'm never stuffed and I'm never hungry. Perfect. I can still have a little treat when I fancy it, but it's not an entire chocolate bar or share bag of crisps like it would have been in the past!

As I said before, good luck and keep us informed! :) xx

I chose sleeve as it was the best option for me. It's a very personal decision so don't get swayed by those who say one is better than the other - different courses for different horses as it were.

The reason I chose the sleeve was that I needed more restriction than a band but I didn't feel I had enough co-morbidities to opt for a bypass. My consultant said that due to my age and that I "only" had type 2 diabetes, the bypass wouldn't be the best option.

Listen to what the consultant has to say, do your research fully, and don't decide on a surgery just because someone says it's the best.

So far I am really happy with the sleeve. I've lost nearly 5 stone and am down 3 dress sizes. I am learning how to eat properly and not shoveling food down my throat. I take my time and can now realise when I don't need any more food. I'm never stuffed and I'm never hungry. Perfect. I can still have a little treat when I fancy it, but it's not an entire chocolate bar or share bag of crisps like it would have been in the past!

As I said before, good luck and keep us informed! :) xx

You're awesome! xx

*blush* thank you, but you are too - we all are for taking this step and getting real with ourselves. It's huge. Xx

Back