• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Finally - got my date for surgery!!! HURRAH!

Pip1

How do you cope???

Hi all...

Im a little away from my pre-op diet... had my 1st appointment with the Consultant on 12th July 2013... just awaiting the news for a date!

Im all prepared for the milk diet (have bought some no added sugar Crusha - as suggested by Hospital) etc.

HOWEVER... although Im really up for this and determined to do this... like many of us, Ive waited 2yrs and I want this SO much, but on the milk/yoghurt diet - the $6m question.....

"how do you cope with other members of the family eating "NORMAL" food... all those smells of nice real food etc? Any tips? Do I go in the garden and contemplate my navel?

Cheers,
Pip x

Heya,

I found it hard the first few days but because you're not have carbohydrates you don't get hungry after a while. What I would do at evening meal time was to make up my oxo drink and have it in a bowl like soup so it was savoury and something different. It's easier than you may think - just keep your eye on the end goal! It's only 2 weeks :) best of luck x

The first 2-5 days are hard but after that you will go in to ketosis. Then it gets much easier. You just have to think about how hard you have fought to get to where you are, years of pain from being overweight, years of diets etc, just knowing this is your chance for a change that will give you the chance of a new life. I cried a lot and was in a foul mood for 5 days and then ketosis kicked in and I felt ready for the challenge more than ever. I only lived with my mum at the time which meant I could avoid her whilst she was eating but of course could still smell her cooking but I think I had it easy in that respect. I do know many people who cook for their families whilst on their pre op diet and cope. It's just one more crazy diet to do before the big change. Get through the first few days and you will be fine and always hold on to the fact it is so your surgery is a safe as possible :)

Hi, This is my first time posting anything . I am on day 4 of my pre-op diet. I am doing The Liquid diet - Soup and yogurt diet. 4 cans Weight Watchers soups + 4 low fat low sugar yogurt. I am doing ok but cooking for my daughter is a nightmare. I made her a sandwich the other and ended up eating 3 slices of ham :( apart from that i have been ok. Today i tried the low fat low sugar and low carbohydrate whole food diet. My Dr said the first week i can try both to see which is better for me, but not to mix them in the same day. I think the The Liquid diet is more filling, but already i am so tried of Liquids!

have you had your mdt day yet the waiting part is endless at st Richards but they are so good it worth it, I didn't find it too bad when I did it last time didn't mind making food for others in fact I took up baking lol found I enjoyed feeding others to pass the time

Sorry i am new to this ...What is mdt day?:confused:.I am due to have the gastric sleeve op on Monday 19th August but i am going in on Sunday.

mdt is the day when u meet surgeon anethsatist phsycologist gp and dietician but you already have a date so you have either had it or your hosp don't do it

good luck with your pre op diet i did the liver reduction diet where i was on very low cabs, high protein so lived off eggs and veg for 2 weeks, i still had to cook for my hubby and 3 kids which i didn't find too hard as i have waited for 5years to get the funding etc for my op so wasn't going to waste it, good luck for your op and anyone else having there op soon

8wks on since 1st appointment..

Im 8wks on from my 1st appointment at St Richards...

The poor postman gets lynched every day... and every phone call is answered in less than 2 rings.

Im turning into a psycho-chubster!!

x

get used to waiting hun I had my mdt about 2months after initial consult and im now 2-3 months into a 6monthish wait for the surgery . waiting sucks:(

I feel exactly the same Pip. I had my pre op back in July and I'm still waiting....... I come on here every day and read people's stories and cry.

I don't mind waiting.... but just need a date to "plan"... and also have something to work to. Worked for 25yrs to meet goals/demands... and now in limbo - not somewhere I like!

Morale plummeting daily (sadly!)

Waiting for my psychological meeting on the 25th of Sept....dont know where to after there...All this wait is too much...i can relate to you...x

Well Im a VERY happy man....

Took a telephone call this morning from Mr Slater's Office at St Richard's Hospital... she said that he his doing an "extra" day of surgery and would I like to come into hospital for my bypass on 17th OCTOBER !!!! OMG... yes!!!!!

So I have my pre-op blood tests and MRSA checks on this WEDS (2nd).. so I suppose I will be on the milk diet immediately?

I am over the moon! Ive waited 2yrs for this! Finally a date - best Christmas present ever - my life back!!!!

x

great news :)

sooo jelous im waiting for a call from st Richards too really pleased for you tho x can I ask when your mdt was might give me a idea of wait?

very well done you! good luck

Fantastic Pip. Really excited for you. I had my bypass on 9 July and have not looked back. I'll start moving everyone along to make room for you on the losers' bench x

Back