• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First A&E visit!

Mio

Had my last band fill on Monday - was tolerating liquids fine, but couldn't eat anything most solid than chicken soup. Lots of pain, backing up, stomach cramps and wasn't able to keep anything down. Was kidding myself that this was ok until I tried to eat in front of my friend last night and lasted 2 bites before I was in so much pain I couldn't breathe.

Cue late-night visit to the hospital, where I got stabbed with a needle a lot (I have tiny veins and no-one can find them to take blood) and was told I was dehydrated and needed a defill. Except there was no-one from the bariatric team available, and no bed for me. So I had to go back with my friend (so I had someone around just in case), was told to drink lots of water and had to wake up at 5:30 this morning to go *back* to the hospital to get admitted and wait for someone from the team to defill me 0.5ml!

Finally got home at 10:30am, and eating better now though still not eating enough (finding it hard to get above 800 cals atm) Am sure it'll get better but I'm currently a bit terrified of food because I associate it with pain still.

I feel silly that I let it go on for so long, but I thought it was normal and it would settle down or something, but when I literally couldn't eat anything and was in agony every time I did I realised I really needed to get it seen to. Definitely a cautionary experience!

gawd mio that must have been scarey!! hope everything stays ok now :) xxx

I was utterly terrified, though mostly of them trying to take blood - I have 5 holes over three parts of my arm where they tried and failed until eventually one (very cute and very camp!) guy came in and did it on the first go! If I hadn't been hyperventilating and crying I probably would've hugged him *lol*

Definitely learnt my lesson, and learnt how my body tells me about things. I suppose you only know when you go through it but not in a hurry to do that again I have to say!

Hi Mio - hope you feel better soon. Hopefully things will settle.

I had to have a defill in December and ended up in A & E. Having sat for hours I was eventually seen by someone who they assured me knew what he was doing. He clearly didn't but did manage - eventually - to get some fluid out. I totally sympathise - I left things too long thinking it would settle - I never want to go through that again.

I had my appointment with my consultant today and there was nothing in my notes about what had happened. He was furious. He gave me a check up and checked how much was in my band - I think he was worried there had been some damage after I told him that the person who did the defill had bent the first needle on my port after I told him it was too big:rolleyes:.

I have had a fill today and I will be watching things very carefully.

Please do not let this put anyone off. It happens with bands - but it is still a good tool.

tranquil x

Hope you are feeg better soon hun x

I hope things settle for you now chick xxx

Glad you went and got a defill it was the correct thing to do , take it easy and things will be ok. xx

Well done on getting another fill tb , hope this one works for you hun & your right the band is a gr8 tool. Wishing e1 the best - Julie xx

Hope you are feeling better Mio xxx

Hope u are feeling better now xx

hope you feel better soon

It is a learning process! Hope you feel better very soon. It's funny how people react differently, I have 6 ml in band of 10 ml and have not got restriction and some people get too tight after 4 ml .... get well soon xxx

I'm glad its fixed now, must have been awful. But I have to admit, your thread title makes me nervous "First A&E visit" really makes it sound like you are planning a Second and a Third... lol

Back