• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First fill disapointment

Miss hungry

7 stone lighter!
:sigh: Travelled to Bristol today for my first fill. However...after alot of needle stabbing and prodding of my stomach, she admitted defeat. She could feel the port ok but couldn't draw any fluid in or out.
I'm worried that my port has flipped over, I've read about that happening.
Can't believe my bad luck. I couldn't have my fill last month because of my gammy port wound and now this. Iam destined to have to use 100 % willpower it seems.
I have to wait for another appointment with a special nurse now.
Has this happened to anyone else?
:wave_cry:

:sigh: Travelled to Bristol today for my first fill. However...after alot of needle stabbing and prodding of my stomach, she admitted defeat. She could feel the port ok but couldn't draw any fluid in or out.
I'm worried that my port has flipped over, I've read about that happening.
Can't believe my bad luck. I couldn't have my fill last month because of my gammy port wound and now this. Iam destined to have to use 100 % willpower it seems.
I have to wait for another appointment with a special nurse now.
Has this happened to anyone else?
:wave_cry:

This happened to me and my port had over turned and I had to have my port resighted

how do they do that? Is it surgery?

Yes I had to go back in and have surgery again,only day surgery though because I was asked if I didnt mind being awake for surgery and have a local anesthetic.

Does it hurt?

Not at all, didnt hurt one bit for me

Tell me everything!!

Well I was admitted, operated on at about 1pm and I had a fill of 3 mil whilst I was on the table, went back to the ward, had bp checks etc and I was back home by just after 2pm :D:D

Last edited:
how do they do that? Is it surgery?

Yes I had to go back in and have surgery again,only day surgery though because I was asked if I didnt mind being awake for surgery and have a local anesthetic.

Does it hurt?

Not at all, didnt hurt one bit for me

Tell me everything!!

Well I was admitted, operated on at about 1pm and I had a fill of 3 mil whilst I was on the table, went back to the word, had bp checks etc and I was back home by just after 2pm :D:D
Thankyou so much for the info, I would of been worrying about it otherwise xxxxxx

Aaw Karen - What a dissapointment hun x :grouphugg:

I`m sure they will sort it very soon for you, I`m afraid your going to have to try to be very good. :angel:

Were all here to help and support you though - don`t ever think you`re left on your own x

:talk017:

Take care hun x

Love Kat x

thats a real bummer. i dont know what i will do if that happens to me, my surgery is in belguim.............omg, panic stations :(

:flamingmad::flamingmad::d'oh:

majorly not fair!! whats next then. did they confirm its a flipped over port or do u have to go back for an xray??

Oh Dear, i hope you manage to get this sorted!

I wonder if you would have to pay for the surgery to flip it back or would it be covered as part of the aftercare?

Aaw Karen - What a dissapointment hun x :grouphugg:

I`m sure they will sort it very soon for you, I`m afraid your going to have to try to be very good. :angel:

Were all here to help and support you though - don`t ever think you`re left on your own x

:talk017:

Take care hun x

Love Kat x
Thanks Kat xxx

this happened to me twice unfortunately. I had my band put in May 2009, my port flipped withing 5 weeks which was discovered when I went for x-ray fill....THG re-sited it at no extra cost but by the time THG would allow me to try for another 'attempt' in the October of that year...it had flipped again.

if you were done with THG, beware as they will only cover you for the first 6 months after op.

I ended up having my band removed on the NHS last July as I had lots of nerve pain in my left side.

this may not neccessarily happen to you, it was my experience but has left me £7000 out of pocket, or as the NHS surgeon said "you'll be short of a bob or two but at least you'll feel better" :eek:

hope you get it sorted soon. (I also had Mr Siggurdsen as my original surgeon)

Just a word of advice I've had two ports changed the first one under local and the second under general if you look at my pics you will see the damage my first op under a local did I would so ask for a general again !! It Diddnt hurt under a local just felt weird them diving in to me but the general was better I was in at half 1 home by half 8 no big deal really between the two they could investigate better wit a general so if you have a choice go for a general?xx

Back