• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First fill under X Ray

cazbandy

Bring on the Trumpets!
Today I had my first fill under x-ray at Ashford Hospital in Middlesex.

Was a mad experience but so much less worrisome than I had in my mind.

They basically weighed me and congratulated me on my loss so far, then my surgeon Mr Horner introduced me to a colleague from Kenya, who is learning how this surgery and aftercare is done.

Then I stood in front on the x-ray doodah and they found my port, all up the right way and fine.

They came the tiniest of needles, a very very small pinch of pain and then it was in, I walked back to machine, yep with needle hanging out of belly (very Pulp Fiction) and they asked me to swallow barium which was ok, a bit like milk of magnesia and not as bad as I had been told.

Weird seeing your own guts at work...

He then stuck 2mls in and asked me to drink more barium, felt no restrictriction so he added another 1.5mls, this time it felt a little too tight, like I had to force it down with saliva, so he pulled it back, so I now have a 3.25 fill and a good restriction.

Sticking to fluids but he said I could try something like soup and mash later but back to normal foods tomorrow.

He has asked if I can steer clear of bread, rice and pasta.

A small trade off if I loose loads of weight.

With that I was given water to drink, which went down fine, then asked to go to canteen, have a tea, if I have any trouble swallowing that come back straight away.

There is a tiny bit of restriction on the fluids going in but he said that will settle within a day or so. But if I have any worries come straight back and with that he hugged me and said, well done and now you should start loosing again.

I was in and out in 10 minutes....

Wow, that sounds so easy. You seem to have an excellent care system in place. Congrats on your first fill and wishing that the pounds fly off!:D

congratulations on your first fill, sounds quite easy, glad you posted this as i have been quite worried about it, hope all goes well in the next few days
love

congrats on your first fill i didnt have xray or barium with mine weird how they all do it different i just layed down raised my feet and in popped the needle i didnt have any restriction from it tho:( just alot of burping hehe

Back