• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First Gastric balloon operation in the UK

KD

On the Sharon Osbourne show. Interviewing 14 yr old Becky Unsworth.

Sharon: 10 days ago Becky Usworth had the first gastric balloon operation in the UK to help her lose weight. She asks Kerry (Becky's mum) how she feels about letting her 14 yr old daughter go through this.

Kerry: (snip) it was Becky's choice. I would never force my children into doing something that they didn't want to do.

Sharon: Becky, looking at you, you like like a young girl going through puberty and you haven't quite grown into your body yet. You don't have to tell us, but how much do you weigh.

Becky: 12 stone 9. (she's 5ft 5 BTW)

Sharon: I don't think that's obese, I think that's an extreme term to use and I've struggled with weight my entire life.

Can't quite keep up with the subtitles. Will précis it......

Sharon asks whether she was depressed. Becky says she was a little bit depressed, but since going to high school her mates stick up for her, so it doesn't worry her as much (talking about being overweight that is)

etc etc

The idea is that they keep the balloon in for 6 months whilst Becky has counselling and learns how to eat properly. It's then taken out. Counselling continues for another 6 months.

The doctor explained that Becky had been through the mill of NHS clinics and consultants and none of the treatments had worked.

He says that over the six month period, a fully grown adult would lose about 2-3 stone in the 6 months. The doctor explains that this isn't just about losing weight, but to allow them that time to re-educate her and rebalance her to reinstate a normal relationship with food and they will carry on for at least another 6 months, if not indefinitely.

Sharon talks about diets and how hard it is to maintain. Doctor says the operation is a tool not a solution.

Sharon then talks about her gastric band op and how she had the operation 5 years ago and she still throws up every single day of her life because still mentally she wants to eat.

She talks about how pleased she is the doctor will continue to work with Becky to help re-educate her relationship with food.

Okay….I have to admit to being shocked by this. Not Sharon. Just the idea of a 14 yr old who isn't that big having this operation. Ummmm. What do you think?

Last edited:
Shocked .... and incredibly, incredibly sad :(

That is disgusting,the op has some horrible side effects and also from my experience a waste of time as i had it done 7 yrs ago.
Why cant the mum just help her daughter lose weight instead,next they will be saying give a 14 yr old breast implants as she feels bad about her body !!

That's just so sad :(

At 14 years old :eek:

I'm really shocked. I loved Sharon Obsbournes autobiography BTW :) I just happend to be reading it when I started LL and it really helped me.

I agree re the 14 year old - was very pleased to hear that Sharon said she still throws up every day - that is exactly my experience with the band - you never stop trying to eat stuff you can't get down and it is a hideous experience. Very glad that people don't just look at her, see that she's slim and had the band and think that is the answer and its all lovely.

At 12 stone 9 and 5ft 5 shes hardly a good candidate for this op...

Goddamn it i am raging...and worse yet shes only 14.

Some people have alot to answer for...they really do.

Ivy

Was this done on the NHS? If so, that's even worse. They can't find the money to perform hip operations on those who desperately need them but will fund inappropriate procedures on a 14 year old?

BAHHHH! :mad:

Back