• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First steps to a long battle!!

minxtress

First post here, but energised by reading everyones positive views.
My BMI is currently 44 and I asked my doctor to be referred for WLS and he said my BMI needed to be over 50, or around 40 and have other complications such as diabetes etc. I was devestated, and enquired about private funding but I just cant afford this option. I have even considered selling my home.
After reading posts on here, and seeing the NICE guidelines, I dont feel I have been given the correct information, so I am going to go back to my doctor and demand a refferal.
Any advice??
I suffer back pain, im on anti depressants as the weight issue as made me agrophobic, and I have stress incontinence. My doctor is not very understanding at all with my weight issue, and puts anything I go to him for down to my obesity which puts me off going. If I have headaches, its the obesity, heavy bleeding its the obesity. I am fed up with it.
My sister is anorexic and gets every kind of help possible thrown at her!!
Rant over. Wish me luck and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

hiya minx, welcome to the site :) i know its very disheartening, as a lot of us know :( Not sure you'll get a very good reaction from your doctor if you demand he refers you lol but some people can get surgery on special circumstances so its worth chatting with him about it. If hes one of these that is dead set against i, maybe you could change your doctor? Good luck :) xxx

Where are you from Minx?
A lot of pct's are really strict at the moment.
As my GP keeps telling me "There is a budget crisis in the NHS at the moment and the purse strings are very tight" Other words you have got more chance of seeing the queens knickers

NICE set guidelines , that doesn't , unfortunatly mean all PCT's follow them , they set their own criteria. My PCT also say bmi 50 , bit as mine was not a lot under that I decided to put on the 7lbs I needed .
Good luck with your quest hun

Good luck seeing the GP.

As I said elsewhere please research the criteria for your PCT as it may be that you would qualify on special circumstances.

Co-morbidities can include things like diabetes, arthritis at a young age, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnoea. It might be worth investigating if you qualify through these if your PCT has sey BMI of 50 as the qualifying level.

Tatiana

Thanks Guys!! A nice warm welcome.
I live in the North East so would go to Sunderland for Surgery.
Where would I find out what the guidelines are for my PCT?
I wont demand then, but I will chain myself to his desk until he agrees! :cry:
I know its going to be a long arduous rollercoster but hey lifes like that pretty much anyway with the way I feel so I am well prepared for it.
Thanks.
xxx

Thanks Guys!! A nice warm welcome.
I live in the North East so would go to Sunderland for Surgery.
Where would I find out what the guidelines are for my PCT?
I wont demand then, but I will chain myself to his desk until he agrees! :cry:
I know its going to be a long arduous rollercoster but hey lifes like that pretty much anyway with the way I feel so I am well prepared for it.
Thanks.
xxx

My PCT is the same as yours and when I was referred in 2010, they followed the NICE Guidelines.... I have posted a more detailed response to one of your posts on another thread ;) x x

It will come down to your pct unfortunately but as your doc is adamant all your ailments are down to your obesity then he should be more sympathetic!Maz x

Hiya,

Why not make another appointment with a different GP in the practice? Tell them how much your weight affects you everyday in what ways and maybe they might have a different approach than the first Dr.

Have you tried calling your locals PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service... I Think!) Each PCT has one and you may be able to get the information about who qualifies in your specific PCT from them, otherwise it's calling the PCT directly. Sometime Google can bring up some interesting finds too.

Personally I think selling a house to fund an op is last chance saloon but believe me I understand how it feels when you want to go through something so life changing so badly, you feel you'll do pretty much anything to get it.

One thing I will say though is DO NOT GIVE UP. Peck the GP's head everyday if you have to to get things moving. Even if, like mine, it takes 18 months or so to get you to a much happier place post op just keep going. Many people on here either have been or are in a similar situation to you and there are always plenty of people here to help you through the tough times.

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I am definately going to ask to see a different GP at my practice on Monday,armed with the NICE guidelines, and my mam is going with me incase i get too emotional and forget what to say...it happens!
I hardly slept last night running over everything in my head....from docs, to ways of raising money, to the whole after op living. You name it it was on my mind. Hence today I feel drained....but more determined.
Love reading everyones stories on here. It really is inspirational.

For additional ammunition write down examples of all the occasions you can remember going to the dr about sonething and being told the problem was down to your obesity - all ammunition for getting referred, after all, if your obesity goes away surely you'll have less need to go to see them and save them money in the long run!

Tatiana

Bizarre question I know.......but when you go to these groups and hospital etc, do you have to strip to get weighed?? I dont think I could do this tbh

The support group for my hospital is just that - support! It's done out of hours and in a non-clinical area of the hospital so no scales in sight!

At hospital appointments you will be weighed but not stripped off gor it - maybe just coat and shoes do you're ok if you wear more than just coat and shoes!

Tatiana

Ah thats ok i envisaged bra and panties and was panicking.....mind getting ahead of myself yet tho as still havent even been referred lol.
Awake for hours again last night trying to get it all straight in my head.
I have decided if I dont get any joy at my doctors this week, I will write to the surgeons directly as a last ditch attempt. If that fails I am going to have to get into debt and go to Belgium for the op. I cannot go on like this anymore.

Are you under any consultants for any of your obesity related problems? Maybe they could refer you x

Don't forget everything counts, even your stress incontinence, acid indigestion and reflux, all joint pains, swelling in legs, breathlessness, snoring, back pain, depression. I'm sure others can add to the list x

I only ever go to my GP if I really have to because of his negativity. The terrible head aches was down to my weight apparently. My pmt was down to my weight, my heavy menstruals was down to weight, my bowel problems are to my weight, my depression I know is down to my weight. I lost 6 stone 2 years ago and have put it all back on, but even when I was lighter, I still suffered most of these things.
Think thats half the problem I know how it feels to be thin its fresh in my mind, i can taste it, and it tears me apart.
I had a hysterectomy in April, and the Dr who performed it was derogatory about my weight, and I have to go back to see him on 22nd Nov, but he wont be any help. It is basically down to my GP's, so going to ask to see the newest addition to the practice in the hope he will be fresh blood and with more modern ideas.
My partner goes with me to the GPs and is ready to commit murder by the time we leave because I am so upset, but im going to take my mam with me this time as she is more level headed than me, and knows her stuff!
I have just applied online for a loan against my home so if all else fails I have a back up plan. Obviously dont want to go down that road but if its the only way then so be it.

Last edited:
Thanks Mariew. I am even going to wear my ankle weights under my jeans for my appointment and put bags of 2p in my jeans pockets and i have my list in my head off to T what I am going to say to him.
I have done slimming world on prescription, I have done the gym on prescription, I have done orlistat, I have done reductil. I am on 4 movicol a day......what next???

Back