• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First steps to a long battle!!

Fingers crossed the new doctor listens to you. My GP referred me because I had also exhausted all their weight management options and on most diets ever invented.

I really hope it does not have to come down to you getting a loan against your house. If your doctors dont budge, some people have had some oy going to their MP. Dont give up!!

Doctors appointment made for 10am tomorrow. Another sleepless night ahead!

Good luck for tomorrow - as has been said, perhaps a new face and different approach will work in your favour!

Remember, tears are a good tool!

Tatiana

Good luck for tomorrow - as has been said, perhaps a new face and different approach will work in your favour!

Remember, tears are a good tool!

Tatiana

He'l be getting tears alright, i cant help it recently.

PCT have just rang me back and are emailing me with all the avenues that are available to me so I will have them to go to my doctor with, and then if still not happy they said they will take it on as a complaint. So positive Monday I feel.

minxtress said:
PCT have just rang me back and are emailing me with all the avenues that are available to me so I will have them to go to my doctor with, and then if still not happy they said they will take it on as a complaint. So positive Monday I feel.

Excellent news that you've got info direct from PCT, now surgery can't deny knowledge or claim you're not eligble if you fit the criteria!

All systems go for tomorrow - I'm sure the surgery won't want a complaint lodged against them!

Tatiana

I wish you all the best on your journey hun...Don't need to tell you it's gonna be a rough ride BUT....Stick with it,It will be worth it ( Btw i'm still going through the motions so i DO know how you feel,as do many others on the NHS route)

take Care
Andy x

I'm just hoping all the info arrives before tomorrow or I may have to cancel my appointment til it comes. Better to go with everything I need I think.

I'm just hoping all the info arrives before tomorrow or I may have to cancel my appointment til it comes. Better to go with everything I need I think.
it doesnt take long to email, hopefully they will pull their finger out!

Well nothing yet! Hopefully I get it by close of business today or im going to cancel tomorrows appointment.

Just received this via email regarding our PCT guidelines so making a new appoinment with the doc asap!
Thank you for your email below, which has been forwarded to myself.

Historically, any patient requesting Bariatric Surgery was required to seek funding from their relevant PCT prior to being referred. However, as both the PCT and the hospital providing this treatment work to guidelines from NICE (National Institute for Clinical Excellence), it was decided that referrals could be made by GPs direct to the hospital as they would determine whether the patient is eligible for treatment. NICE guidelines state that surgical intervention is appropriate for any patient with a BMI of over 40 and also documented evidence of tried previous attempts at weight loss but unsuccessful . For those patients who have a BMI of between 35 and 40, to allow surgery to go ahead, the patient must have a co-morbidity that would be improved with weight loss for example conditions such as diabetes, heart disease etc. Our local policies are outlined on the PCTs’ public website South of Tyne and Wear

Any clinician assessing your eligibility for NHS funding would therefore need to take into account your previous attempts at weight loss. We would urge you to engage further with your GP to discuss your suitability for different approaches to weight loss and the extent to which you match these NICE guidelines.

Yippee the doc has referred me! Only the first tiny baby step but im so chuffed

thats great Minxie :) xxx

Hi Minxtress

If you suffer from hyper tension (High blood pressure) ask your doctor to emphasize that point as well. In Norfolk PCT this is also counted as one of the criteria for weight loss surgery, although I don’t know if this counts in other PCT’s areas

Stavros

:welcome:

That's great news! You're on the road now...My bmi wasn't high enough but I have autoimmune thyroid disease so was referred but only after begging and trying every diet, exercise and pill known to man! Have you had you TSH levels checked? Might be worth a try just in case... Best of luck x

I had it checked a while ago but not recently. Its a good job I had the email off the PCT printed out as he wasnt going to refer me, but couldnt argue with the facts. He has kept the print out to include with my referral. I also spoke to Mr Shroeders secretary yesterday and informed him of that also.
Im agonising over the long time it will take but ive been fat for this long im sure i can hang on a while longer!

I was checked for my thyroid every year for 10 years but always 'normal' then it suddenly went through the roof so might be worth checking again but it looks like you're on your way now anyway. The initial referral seems to be the hard part - once you're in at sunderland they seem pretty keen to go ahead so long as you show willing by losing some weight and passing psych tests etc. Fingers crossed x

Oh thats good news. Just been looking at my skinny pics off a couple of years ago i cant wait to get back into those size 12 skinny jeans and lovely tops.
Bitten my nails for last 39 years and managed to grow them lovely and long this last six months, so things are starting to look up indeed.
I have long been convinced of a thyroid problem but feel a nuisance when i keep asking for blood tests, its usually for my iron i get it checked as get quite bad aneamia and need b12 injections every 8 weeks. But when Im low boy im low!!

I am so happy you have been referred! Well done for being persistant. There must be so many people who accept the first answer of their docs and never get the chance to have WLS. I look forward to seeing more of your journey :)

Back