• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First week post op questions

Prepare yourselves for a rant ..... I think today has been my hardest so far. Very hard going at work and then hospital appointment to see my dietician. Not only had she cancelled at the last minute the previous week, she then turned up 30 mins late this week. She's been late for every appointment so far. Once I got in there she then proceeded to tell me the food I'm having is too carb heavy (apparently 100ml of soup and 2 oatcakes is too much - despite it being on her diet plan!) even though I've managed to lose a stone in the last 6 weeks. I honestly don't think I've learnt anything of any value from my sessions with her that I haven't read on here or just used my common sense. Has anyone else had a bad experience with their dietician?

Being so late is just rude especially if she's not explaining why or apologising.
Can you ask to be seen by someone else?
Well done on your loss whatever she says :)

I only saw one once before the op and that was it, I think we all know what we should be eating..that's not why we got fat!
To be honest I work well with carbs, some people are better with fats..the key is finding what your body likes I think. Hope work picks up x

The problem with being around negative people like her is that they actually have the opposite affect of trying to help you !
Her lack of empathy will drive her patients right back to the old way of eating .. She's in the wrong job .
I'm sorry your not getting the support you deserve.. Can you change for another dietician ?

So, I've not updated for a while and thought, as I've just gone past my 6 month surgiversary mark I'd do a little update.

So stats - started pre op at 21stone 1lb, 2 weeks later had op at 20 stone. Now, 6 months later I've lost nearly 5 stone (4 stone 9lbs to be precise) and I'm delighted with my progress. It's not super fast as some, but I'm living a real life and have had some challenges on the way with my head battle with food.

So now I eat tiny portions of most food. Sometimes I snack too much which slows down the weight loss but I think I'm consuming about 1/4 of what I was before.

As far as healing goes, I have been very lucky that I am fine and I've had no complications post op. Scars healed up well and fading nicely.

I can eat most food except bread and pork, which makes me sick. Everything else had to be a tiny portion (100 ml) and eaten slowly. I much prefer to snack but that's where the hidden calories sneak in! I still eat too much and too quickly but I am learning. If I eat like that I tend to gurgle like an old radiator and sneeze! No pain, just a very full feeling. If I've pushed myself too far, which happens rarely now, I feel very sick, or I am sick, and something close to an anxiety attack kicks in. This more often happens when eating out, I find it incredibly hard not to eat what is put in front of me!

Other side effects have been hair loss. I would say about 1/3 of my hair has dropped out but it's slowing down now and starting to grow back.

Positives! The weight loss has already changed my life and I'm still only half way. I can wear much nicer clothes, my skin hasn't sagged at all yet and I am just able to get about more. I'm now jogging 3 times a week which I never dreamt id be doing and it's no longer an effort to walk around.

Emotionally I miss food and I've worked hard to try and not use it when things haven't gone well. It has been difficult though.

However, I have no doubt I've made the right decision and would do it again in a heart beat. Any newbies who want to ask questions please do!

J x

Thanks so much for the update @juju_doll . This is so helpful to me as I am also losing at a similar rate to you (although I started slow from week 1 :mad:) and I have been wondering lately if it will stop sometime soon and not start again :confused: It seems I never even had a honeymoon period:grumble:. Happy to see you're still losing, have healed nicely and feel you've made the right decision, gives me hope :).

Hi Ladies,

I am in the process of possibly going to Beautiful Beings for a gastric sleeve. My Mum is happy to come with me but my OH is so against it as he said about all the
"dodgy" operations you see on the TV as their done abroad.

How do I persuade him? I've not seen many reviews of the clinic except from what I've read here and watching Joshua on Youtube with his story....
(I am most likely going to still go though, but I'd rather has his support too...

If you ladies dont mind me asking, did you guys pay for it normally? Or get a loan out? pay on credit cards etc?

What happens if something goes wrong, will the NHS treat you??

Thanks! :)

I agree with him - there are plenty of dodgy operations abroad (and in the UK) but if you do your research you can find some of the best care abroad - much of it puts the NHS to shame. Where there are agencies making arrangements then research the named surgeon. Any decent surgeon has plenty of online testimonies and is honest about complications they've had. I looked into Beautiful Beings but went elsewhere as my procedure was a band-to-bypass conversion and they didn't do it.

PS. I'm not a lady.

Last edited:
Back