• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First week post op questions

Morning...
Yes weigh one day a week, i always did mine on a Monday and wrote it on my calendar to see my months progress.
Get that infected wound sorted, you dont want that to worry about.
Just take it easy...you will get the hang of your new sleeve in the coming months.

I'm a dreadful daily weigher so I guess I need to get in to the habit of doing it once a week. Yes, I was a bit unimpressed they said they couldn't see me until tonight considering I paid 10 grand for this operation. I don't fancy spending the day with an infected wound!
go to your gp if they can't see you, even the practise nurse can sort it. The sleeve will work :)

Hope you get the wound sorted out lulu. I used to be a twice daily weigher. It wasn't easy but I have managed to get myself down to weighing myself once a week now. Weighing everyday can be soul destroying when the weightloss slows down but it's a habit that becomes very hard to break once established so yes it's a very good idea to try and break the cycle now ;)

I'm four weeks post op and have stayed the same weight for a full week!!!! I suppose my body must be just getting used to things coz I did lose quite a bit during lrd and first three weeks, I have been told by others to have faith things will start to move again but it's hard I doubt myself all the time kinda feel like I must be doing something wrong or that the op isn't gonna work for me I sometimes even think did they do the op properly X

My thoughts too you sound just like my head glad it's not just me x

So it's been a bit of a funny week so far - firstly one of my wounds came open on Monday so I went straight back to the hospital and they steri stripped it up. Today I've noticed there is green stuff coming through the steri strips and it's not smelling great. So I'm going back this evening for them to have another look at it.
I've also not lost any weight since Saturday and it's driving me mad. How can that be the case? Argh.

Hope they sort your wound I'm stuck weight wise too I'm four weeks post op tomoz think it must be our bodies clinging on or something as a few seem the same at this stage x

Thank you lovely people, these first few weeks are definitely hard, I know it was the right thing to do and it will work. At least this is my last day of liquids, and the joy of purée tomorrow! I think I'll be better when I get back to school next week and I'm busy.

So they don't think it's infected but they did a swab anyway so I'll find out on Monday if it's infected. Feeling better now I've had it checked out and tomorrow I get to eat purée! Hooray! Any suggestions for delicious purée treats for the next 2 weeks?

So they don't think it's infected but they did a swab anyway so I'll find out on Monday if it's infected. Feeling better now I've had it checked out and tomorrow I get to eat purée! Hooray! Any suggestions for delicious purée treats for the next 2 weeks?

I'm just finishing purée I've had corn beef hash, pea and ham soup , runny mash carrots and turnips cauliflower cheese and gravy, stewed apple or banana and custard, Semolina, angel delight, high protein yogs eg Danios I preferred theses type of things as I'm not really into a puréed up meal
Glad it doesn't look like you've got an infection x

Yayyyy on the no infection and the onto purée. I never had the purée stage. It was liquid for two weeks then onto softs. Different teams different ways

So I thought I'd pop on an update! Today I am 4 weeks post op and I've lost 30lbs since the beginning of this process, 15lbs in the 2 weeks pre-op diet and 15lbs since my op. I'm now on to 'soft foods and definitely won't miss purée! So this morning I had half a weetabix with milk, then soup with some ham and cheese in it for lunch with a mini pot of rice, and then made some spag Bol sauce tonight and had it with some mini macaroni! I can currently eat no more than 100g/ml in a serving otherwise it hurts!
My biggest issue is drinking and I'm not getting a litre in at the moment. I need to make more of an effort with it really! I've had really bad leg cramps at night over the last 4 weeks, about 3 times now and I think it's the dehydration.
All my vitamins are going down a treat although I feel pretty tired by the end of the day! I do sleep really well though which is fantastic.
All in all, I'm really chuffed with my progress. There have definitely been some tricky moments - in fact whole tricky weeks - but I feel nearly human again and ready to face the world. Best decision ever!

I'm glad it's going so well but the fluid intake is very crucial. It's dangerous having such little fluid X

Got to go with Niccie on this. Fluids are crucial as we can become dangerously dehydrated. Imagine a normal persons tummy ..it will hold fluid there for a fair wee while and therefore slowly hydrating that person.. Now imagine our wee pouches. The liquid just flows out and through our system rapidly and thats why its drummed into us to drink plenty and to sip fluids in order that we get a better uptake and stay hydrated. I came close to being hospitalised a few weeks ago when I was unwell with a raging temp an upset tum with no desire to eat or drink which is a really dangerous combination for us. We tread a very thin line in keeping the balance right. It doesn't help if our body fails to recognise that it's thirsty :sigh: so we need to preempt it.

And there was me thinking I might get a well done .... Best I get back to the water!

Whoops me bad I'm really bad for wagging the finger.. I just don't want to see you being avoidably unwell. Well done on those losses though and the tiredness takes a few weeks to go. It's difficult to remember at this stage that you have just had a major op.

So this week 3lbs off. I'm happy with that. The food and liquids are slowly increasing and I'm working towards upping my steps too to be a bit more active. Can't wait for the Easter holidays though, I'm shattered!

I found it really hard to drink anything cold for ages. Even now I don't drink water unless I'm really thirsty - it just doesn't sit well. Instead I drink mugs full of fruit tea - mango and strawberry is a particular favourite. Because it's warm it sits better and I prefer it to nas squashes as I can't bear the taste of artificial sweetener. Just a thought. Well done on your first month on the losers bench xx

So 7 weeks post op and I've lost 37lbs so far, a nice loss of 4lbs after my 12 day stall which meant I stayed the same last week. Feeling far more energetic, eating tiny amounts but keeping up the protein and I'm getting more liquids in too which is good. I'm hoping for another 7lbs over the next 3 weeks of Easter hols to get me in to the 17s and 3 stone off. No problems at the moment, heartburn was a real issue but my surgeon prescribed me more medication for that so it's getting under control.

Back