• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First weight management appointment.

Lumpybumpy

I'm really nervous about my first appointment, could someone tell me what it in tails? I'm really worried about being weighed, I know it might sound stupid but does anyone know if your weighed in front of other people? Or if you have to undress? I'm very body conscious as the thought of this is worrying me a bit :-( x

No you don't undress and it's private. Remember they see it everyday so try not to be too embarrassed x

It may be a little different but when I was seeing the dietitian I was in a room with him talking to him and there was a set of bariatric scales in the room. He just asked me to take my shoes off and step onto the square :) No undressing and not in front of others :)

Hi good luck! My first appointment at the hospital was at an education meeting where i was weighed in front of everyone though it was discreet i was surprised it was in front of everyone. It was fine though everyone in the room was in the same boat and even though normally i would feel self concious i didnt because it was handled very well. Good luck you'll be fine!

Good luck! I am really nervious about my appointments too! Even though i am more nervious about beeing rejected than stepping on the scales!

I was so worried to know my actual weight, but the consultant reassured me not to worry and that it would be the last time i saw that number, which made me feel a lot better!

Good luck on your appointment :)

I was so worried to know my actual weight, but the consultant reassured me not to worry and that it would be the last time i saw that number, which made me feel a lot better!

Good luck on your appointment :)

What a nice thing to say! Even though i probably would not believe him :)

Well I didn't believe it either lol but it was better than when I first spoke to my old GP about surgery. He said " All you have to do is close your mouth and exercise".

I would have hit him if I could...

Well I didn't believe it either lol but it was better than when I first spoke to my old GP about surgery. He said " All you have to do is close your mouth and exercise". I would have hit him if I could...

What a jerk!

Well I didn't believe it either lol but it was better than when I first spoke to my old GP about surgery. He said " All you have to do is close your mouth and exercise".

I would have hit him if I could...

Ohhh no!!! That is so terrible! i would have started to cry i think!!
I have never had such a rude gp in my life but all the doctors used to be very dismissive.

Ohhh no!!! That is so terrible! i would have started to cry i think!!
I have never had such a rude gp in my life but all the doctors used to be very dismissive.

Tell me about it! TBH i think he was like that because i knew more about the referral process than he did, and he didn't want to look stupid, so he made me feel like crap instead... Thankfully now i see someone else!

Quick update I have now completed the 12 week intense 3tier weight management programme and have just started the 9 month maintenance stage, I've been told I will get a letter for a bariatric seminar 'walts and all'. Does anyone know if this means I already have funding in place? I asked my counsellor and she seems under the impression the funding is already there and once the maintenance stage is completed I will get my date? Very confused now x

Congrats :) next week I will also have finished my weight management 12 week course. I have lost over my target and have been told I have to keep up the diet and exercise for 12 weeks more when I will them get an appointment to go back to the consultant. He will then put in for funding which will take several weeks, send me to a seminar which are held once a month at mid yorks , then go on waiting list. My dietician told me it will be early next year by the time I get the op so that's about 9 months here too. Wishing you luck to get sorted as soon as possible xx

I don't know anything about the funding side of things but well done on getting to where you are x

Congrats :) next week I will also have finished my weight management 12 week course. I have lost over my target and have been told I have to keep up the diet and exercise for 12 weeks more when I will them get an appointment to go back to the consultant. He will then put in for funding which will take several weeks, send me to a seminar which are held once a month at mid yorks , then go on waiting list. My dietician told me it will be early next year by the time I get the op so that's about 9 months here too. Wishing you luck to get sorted as soon as possible xx

Ohhh you'll have to keep me updated! I'm really nervous, it doesn't really feel like I'm getting anywhere! I'm worried I'm going to complete this course and they will say no sorry you can't have the surgery :-(
I have my first face to face appointment with the dietician today, I've had to telephone consultations, I'm a little worried as I have gained 2lbs since our last telephone conversation. I have lost two grandfathers in the space of a month and to be honest I have fallen off the wagon but I am a massive comfort eater, which I didn't really acknowledge until I received my counselling!
So long story short I now know when I'm comforting eating but the grief took over and tbh I didn't really care at the time I just wanted to feel 'better'. I am now in the right mind set and as of Monday have been back on track!! I'm hoping they won't be too harsh on me for gaining a little, I'm till 5lbs lighter than I was when I started. X

So I have been referred to a 'warts and all' seminar, has anyone else had to attend one of these meetings? What does it in tail? I have to attend the vines medical centre in Maidstone, has anyone else been here? X

Last edited:
dont know about maidstone but the seminar is just about the different surgery options what each entails and what you can and cant do/have after surgery nothing to worry about

Back