• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Five weeks post op and no weight loss for two weeks!

Lawstudent

I have had a lot of problems with swallowing and suffered over a week on water only where I lost 11lb but since starting eating a bit I am not losing anything! I have lost over four stone in six weeks but this is very frustrating :(

Wow I had to double check ur weight loss. That is some weight loss x congratulations x don't panic or beat urself up about not loosing every week otherwise u will end up a wreck. U need to do it slowly. Maybe ur metabolism has started to settle down now after surgery x but hey if I'd lost that much I'd be doing ruddy somersaults x well done u x x x

mollythedogsmum said:
Wow I had to double check ur weight loss. That is some weight loss x congratulations x don't panic or beat urself up about not loosing every week otherwise u will end up a wreck. U need to do it slowly. Maybe ur metabolism has started to settle down now after surgery x but hey if I'd lost that much I'd be doing ruddy somersaults x well done u x x x

Awww thank you! It is great, I am just worrying that I won't lose any more! I think maybe it is because I am hardly eating, i have an average of one bag of quavers, two table spoon fulls of like shepherd's pie for dinner then maybe soup for lunch. That is it. 500 cals on a good day.

Omg ur not eating enough x x what do u have for breakfast (I've got no room to talk like ) I have porridge or a activia yoghurt with the bits u add in and a glass of fruit juice. Soup for lunch and maybe soup of mashed veg for t x

mollythedogsmum said:
Also I'm not a big tea or coffee drinker but I now have a couple of cups of decaf tea with milk

Well today I have thrown all food up, I will have to have the dilation again next week. I am living off Quavers for a bit lol!

Lawstudent said:
No, I have felt some tightening for a few days but stupidly delayed! Quavers I can keep down!

I have just seen what others eat daily and mine is pathetic in comparison. No breakfast, yoghurt or soup for lunch then about three table spoon fulls of soft diet for dinner. No snacks. About 1pt milk and 1 litre of water. Oddly I am never constipated!

Firstly may I say that you have lost a huge amount of weight in a comparatively short period of time. The human body can only lose so much within a given time-frame; weight loss is never linear or accurately predictable in advance.

Your body is surely adjusting to this vast loss, and 'taking stock', so to speak, of your current very small food intake. It may well be trying to keep you alive, since it does not realise that you are deliberately eating much less than you used to in order to lose weight!

Your post-op complications are another matter; the added procedures you are having will hopefully sort-out your struggle to keep-down fluids, etc. Don't just accept problems as 'normal' and acceptable; they're not!

We all want to lose all of our extra weight, right now, or better still, yesterday! It's hard at times to be patient when we have so much invested in a slimmer future. It takes as long as it takes; we must accept this. Be sure to prioritise your health and well-being, because no amount of super-fast weight loss can hope to compensate for the loss of either.

Take good care of you! And keep posting x

mollythedogsmum said:
What op did u have? X

I had bypass, keyhole. And regret it very much right now after a day of terrible vomiting! I really do not feel so good tonight :(

No wonder you feel so awful. You need help! I'm sure you've told your Team everything, so it strikes me as a bit odd that they are not doing more to address the vomiting. You should ask for some kick-ass anti-sickness tablets; that would be a start, at least.

If you keep throwing-up you will become dehydrated, and that can be dangerous. This may be one reason why you feel so poorly. You may also be weak from lack of nutrition. Tell your provider how frequently you are being sick - don't hold back.

I pray you get this sorted-out soon x

Everything you've described sounds quite normal to me for a bypass. The only thing you need to do is make sure you are getting enough fluid, especially with vomiting. You should let your team know about that and visit your gp - they can hopefully prescribe you some anti sickness medication. 500 cals at around 5 weeks post op is normal, that will gradually increase as you can eat more. Try having lots of high protein soups. Mashed food like potato and low sugar beans are a good way of getting in more protein. Try a very little and often. Bin the quavers, I know it's tempting because you manage them but they have absolutely no nutritional value. Nutrition is paramount when you are eating so little. Crackers with low fat pate on top might make a good alternative, if you chew each mouthful until it is mush most people find it easier to get down. Keep drinking plenty of water (keep sipping away) and milk. You are still extremely swollen inside and recovering, I felt the same way at the same time as you and I know it feels awful. Get those anti sickness tablets and things should start to pick up. Also not sure if you know but you won't feel your proper restriction yet as things are numb. That should kick in around 8 weeks post op.

As for the stall, completely normal, your body has most likely gone into starvation mode with so little fuel and a massive loss. It will pick up again I promise. Just keep following you providers rules to the letter and you will be fine, give them a ring for reassurance too and definitely talk about the sickness as it's been mentioned dehydration is a real possibility as we as getting enough fluids is hard in the beginning, and you don't get enough from food anymore, plus the vomiting so it's important to get on top of that.

Best of luck, you will get there :) x

Just read elsewhere you are going for a dilation, that should bring a great deal of relief too but still try and get some anti sickness in the mean time as you want to try and keep down what you can eat. Good luck x

shelleymarie said:
Just read elsewhere you are going for a dilation, that should bring a great deal of relief too but still try and get some anti sickness in the mean time as you want to try and keep down what you can eat. Good luck x

My GP refused anti sickness tablets as she said the stricture was the problem, not nausea. To be honest I feel like jumping off a bridge! Sick all weekend in London, can't eat a thing, etc. i could cope if I was losing weight but I am losing nothing! I am very grumpy and thoroughly fed up! I will ring surgeon tonorrow to sort dilation at least :( The first one I had was horrible!

Lawstudent said:
I had bypass, keyhole. And regret it very much right now after a day of terrible vomiting! I really do not feel so good tonight :(

Hi ya x has the vomiting stopped? U could have the sickness virus x

Hi
I had a stall at 4 weeks, for 6 weeks!! i was gutted and also wasnt eating a lot. It just started up again soon after, but i remember how upset i felt at the time.
Eveyones stall is different and most of us cant swerve them.

Kim

There is nothing to worry in it. Everybody is different, and everybody has different lifestyles and routines. Loosing weight is usually not steady or consistent process. It's not like people lose about three pounds most weeks. It's like, 10 pounds one week, two pounds the next, five pounds the next, no pounds at all the next two weeks, then six pounds the next......

mollythedogsmum said:
Hi ya x has the vomiting stopped? U could have the sickness virus x

I had the second dilatation today, it was much worse than the first and I had awful sickness after but feeling better now! Had a few crackers and wasn't sick so that is progress!

Back