• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Flying after surgery

Lincs Lass

Bearing in mind I've only just gone on the waiting list for a bypass at Derby it may seem a strange thing to be asking but I've been asked to help chaperone a group of teens to Uganda in April 2014.

I am guesstimating that my op will be done around August this year. Is 8 months a good amount of time to get 'stabilised' with eating and being healthy enough for flying?

Hello there

Its very difficult to say whether you be stable as each person is different with their journey in regards to how many fills they need/ size of bands they have etc. Sorry I cannot be of any help. Blue Diamond xx

Hi I'm 4 months post op and I've just flown from Dubai - London, London- Bangkok and finally Bangkok - Dubai and was no issue at all so I'm sure you will be fine. I just advise you take your own food on plane, walk around a lot and keep well hydrated :)

Thank you ladies.

I'm down for a bypass so the fills thing won't be a problem.

I've an appointment with the dietician in March so may see if she knows or can find out x

I had my bypass in august 2012 and am flying to the states this october... only thing u will need to do is to shop around for travel insurance xx

I had my bypass in august 2012 and am flying to the states this october... only thing u will need to do is to shop around for travel insurance xx

I had a really good quote from insure & go the other day for my holidays. It didn't increase the quote by much where as some really do inflate their prices as soon as they know about WLS x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I hadn't thought about insurance!

I would think we would get group insurance so I would just have to pay the extra x

My bariatric surgeon said I would be safe to fly easily at 6 wks post op, had no problems with flight or insurance x

I flew to Spain less than 6wks post op had no problems with the flight or insurance just paid an extra few pounds when I altered my details. The main bonus was the seat belt the previous October I struggled to do up the seat belt that August it fitted with several inches spare. Best nsv at that point in my journey other than the smaller clothes that is.

Back