• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Flying Home After Gastric Band Op...

LOLAPIG

Hi :wave_cry:, well here I am at long last I've finally made the right decision for me. I'll not bore you all with the details, you all know the story I'm sure. I will have my gastric band fitted in a few weeks times, a little nervous, but sure at the same time it's the right thing for me, after many years fighting a battle I am unable to win without this help. What I really wanted to ask is, has anyone flew back home the next morning after their op, and if so how was it? Due to unforseen circumstances I have to fly home to Edinburgh from Birmingham the following day after my op, and not be driven, as initially planned. I have been told by the hospital that I will be fine to fly, but needless to say I'm a little unsure. So if anyone can tell me their experiences I would appreciate it. Thanks for in advance. :)

Last edited:
I've heard flying can make your band feel tighter, but as you'll be on liquids I dont think that'll matter too much? And the flight is only a few hrs right, if that?

Yes, I believe this is the case, I'm sure it'll be fine, however, you know what it's like, I'm a bit nervous about the op, and then having to fly home alone. I will be driven to the airport by the hospital driver, then my husband will be waiting to pick me up in Edinburgh, so it should be fine. I just wondered if anyone had done it and how they felt, pain wise ect. Thanks for your reply EIGHTEENSTONEGIRL.

Will bump up the thread so hopefully someone who has flown after their op will see this. There have been banders who have flown back from Belgium or flown home to Ireland etc who should be able to answer :) good luck x

Thanks for that Flutterby, I know in my head it'll be fine, I'm just a bit nervous about the whole thing really! I'll be dropped at the airport by the hospital driver, and will be picked up at the other end by my husband, However, just think it's the fact I'll be alone at the airport and on the flight. A wee bit worried about how much pain, if any, that I'll be in. It's all becoming very real now, looking forward to it, but nervous too.

theres a few about who have flown maybe check some of the other threads maybe in general weight loss section or chit chat section or even peoples diaries

I have flown back to Dublin the day after being banded and then again a couple of days after my revision to a sleeve. I had no issues whatsoever apart from needing my hand luggage lifted into the overhead bin for me.

Thanks for your comments, I suppose I'm just a bit, nervous. I'm not the most confident of people at the best of times, but I'm determined to get on with it to make me a healther & happier person all round.

I have flown back to Dublin the day after being banded and then again a couple of days after my revision to a sleeve. I had no issues whatsoever apart from needing my hand luggage lifted into the overhead bin for me.
Hi all, I am going for gastric sleeve soon in Leeds with Mr Halstead, I am living in Ireland so I am a bit worried about the flight back, I see a few members have made this journey any advise? also anybody had surgery with Mr Halstead did you find him good?

Hi

I travelled over from Dublin to Mr. Halstead for my revision to a sleeve. He is fantastic. Can't recommend him enough and the hospital staff were excellent, so attentive. Traveling home wasn't an issue at all but he did ask me to stay in the area for a few days after I was discharged from the hospital, just in case I had any problems. I didn't have any at all and traveling was surprisingly easy about four days post op.

Hi

I travelled over from Dublin to Mr. Halstead for my revision to a sleeve. He is fantastic. Can't recommend him enough and the hospital staff were excellent, so attentive. Traveling home wasn't an issue at all but he did ask me to stay in the area for a few days after I was discharged from the hospital, just in case I had any problems. I didn't have any at all and traveling was surprisingly easy about four days post op.

Oh wow thats great its nice to find somebody else who has been thru it. I have gone thru most of the forums looking for info, Do you mind if i ask you was there much pain after the op or any complications? Did you go thu THG?

Oh wow thanks its great to find someone who has been thru it, do you mind if i ask you was there much pain after the op, any complications, i suppose thats what worries me the most once i get back to eire if something went wrong, did you go thru THG?

Ask away, I'll be glad to answer anything I can, I know how nerve racking it can be.

I had no complications and very little pain afterwards. To be honest the pain after I was banded was so much worse. After my sleeve for the first day I was very nauseous, it was a mixture of the after effects of the surgery and a reaction to the morphine they gave me. On day two they stopped the morphine to see would the sick feeling improve and it completely went. The paracetamol drip they replaced it with kept me pain free and no sick feeling.

Mr. Halstead doesn't allow you to drink anything for 24 hours after surgery so bring mouthwash/spray for the dry feeling in your mouth. The day after surgery I was sipping juice and I had an ice lolly as well.

And yes I went through thg, Sam is fabulous and is so great after the surgery to take care of you and answer any questions or concerns that you may have. She has contacted Mr. Halstead a couple of times for me since the surgery also with some queries.

When is your surgery?

Thanks a mill for the update looks like it will be mid may jst waiting on confirmation from linda, i also went thru THG dublin branch.,i am really happy i am finally having it but the negative press ... regarding traveling for wls has me worried to bits i have been on the public list for ages and could face a further 18 mnths so i cant wait any longer to have it done hear unfortunately due to my age body clock and all that! its such a shame this country is not equiped enough for the demand for obesity surgery. Did you find the weight dropped off fast? i have abt 50% of my body weight to loose over 10 stones ?

I will have to look back at my losses but as far as I remember I lost about 20lb in about two-three weeks following the surgery. After that I averaged about a stone a month. I'm below my goal weight now, total loss of 13 stone between the band and sleeve.

And I agree Ireland has a lot of catching up to do in regards weightloss surgery, we are very behind the UK in that area.

Thanks a mill, Wow thats great going congrats on that weight loss i bet it feels fantastic, i cant wait to get started myself and get this done already

Hi Irish Lassies!

I too am in Ireland(North) and couldn't agree more about the lack of surgery options here :(

I'm flying to Czech Republic on 5th May and having my surgery the following day. I've booked extra assistance throughout the airport and on to the plane for the return journey just in case.

Did you have to book such a service also or were you up and walking about as normal?xx

Jackthelass can I ask you did you have to have any sort of pre op before the surgery? I have been told they just do a few bloods the morning of it which I think is a bit strange

Back