• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Food is no longer a pleasure

Serapis Bey

Im glad that I had this op, but eating is no longer a pleasure, in fact its something that dread.

This stuck feeling is constant when I eat solid food. I chew until my jaw hurts but I still get the horrible stuck feeling. I usually cook a saucer of food but end up throwing most of it away and eating an ice lolly because I cant cope with the stuckness.

The irony is the only solid food that doesn't get stuck is pizza! I had a slice of my mums last week and it went down fine, I didn't dump either!

Im 6 weeks post op, perhaps I should go back to sloppy/mashed foods?

hi i am 8 weeks post op and today i had that stuck feeling aswell it was awful and after one fork full of food and excesss chewing i had to vomit i think if you just keep trying somedays its ok and others its not when i first tried solids i had the stuck feeling alot

I felt the same way at that stage. But it will pass and hopefully you will enjoy food again later. Now I enjoy my meals again and I love food and preparing my meals. I can eat a little more now. Just be patient and hopefully the enjoyment will return soon x

Oh and I needed to keep my food very moist in order to avoid that 'stuck' sensation, at that stage.

Im 2 weeks on from you and still find some food gets stuck.Mostly meat and fish,no matter how much you chew or how slow!I loved meat but it does nothing for me now.Im getting my protein from eggs,cheese,milk,beans,lentils.Homemade soup and stew is good cooked long and slow,I dont have the meat but all the goodness is in the pan.Nothing tastes the same does it?I hated peanut butter but quite like it now and tea/coffee are yuck!You are still healing and swollen inside,dont push it and eat what you can.Babybels and Fridge Raiders are good standbys.Everyone says it gets better so dont stress.We relyed on food for the comfort and highs it gave us.you will feel better in a few more weeks.Keep off the pizza too,empty calories and wont do you any good.Maz x

Hi I am nearly 12 months out and sometimes I still get that stuck feeling it does get better as you get futher out but talk to your team if it doesn't get better or you find it hard to swallow anything and keep it down.

Hi plump33 just read ur post and u r so early post op i would not worry about it 2 much at the mo, keep a food diary and also comment on what probs ur having with specific foods so if in say in a few weeks time ur still having the same probs then def call ur team.
Everyone heals at a different rate and again some people at 6 months cant cope with foods that some peeps have at 3 months.

What solids are giving u probs, can u try the same solids but cooked in a diff way so poss would be much softer and easier to swallow, at 6 weeks ur insides have not healed properly that could be the prob. If doing that does not help then def go back to sloppys for a few weeks then retry the same solids, if at that stage ur still having probs def pls call ur team.
Pls stay away from the pizza so early on, this time u did not dump but the next time if u do dump u will feel really ill and not a nice sensation.
I am 13 months post op and have had many complications and still to this day i cant eat much but give me some crap food and i can manage that but give me some meat or fish and i can only manage a few mouthfuls which is not good.

Hope things get easier for u very soon, take care xx

Hi Roch!I dont think I will eat meat like I used to ever again.Yet tinned minced beef or lamb digests easier.Im still only 8 weeks postop so it may change.Fish is better steamed and sole or plaice is softer.Its cos you chew it so much it goes hard doesnt it?My dietician said chew then remove whats left.Your digestive juices will get the goodness out!Also make slow cooked stews and dont serve yourself the meat,again all the goodness is in the stew.Maz x

It should get better but its often some way down the line. Your tum is still healing for often many months. At 2 years out the enjoyment is coming back and only tonight I thought how lovely it was to cook and eat lean lamb chops. As Roch said if sticking persists then speak with your team but usually time and a good chew will do it. If not leave ot and get back to to what it was later.

Good luck

M

how much are you putting in your mouth at a time? I was told meat should be no bigger than the tip of a rubber on a pencil and when eating use a teaspoon and just dip the end in so it just covers the tip and chew like mad.

Try taking a step back and doing a couple of days liquids, this will give the pouch a rest and then try again. One of my first meals was mash, corned beef, cheese and gravy to make it sloppy. It might sound gross and I pulled a face when I was told about it but it was lush. Start off sloppy and then get thicker towards the end of that week. I also found to start off with was have one sloppy meal a day and then move onto 2 after a few days, this saves the pouch going into shock.

HTH

Back