• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Foods after band

jczelyph

Hello gang!

I am having my band on 6th July. Slightly nervous but also completely excited.

I was just wondering, how long is it until you are able to eat the normal range of foods again, after a band (obviously in smaller portions).

I adore rice, and was wondering when that become possible to eat. Likewise, things like chicken breast (grilled chicken is one of my fave healthy things).

What type of things do you eat to fill you up easily? I have a vision of eating a few chunks of lean chicken and being full for a good few hours, or eating a small sushi rice wrap.

Any ideas?

John

Hiya, recovery liquid and slushies out of the way, (incidently your suregry provider will have their own itinery for how long to have liquids / mushy foods after your surgery etc...plus they know you and your body so will be the best to ask them directly on that part) prior to the first fill or two, you might find initially you can still eat quite a lot of the same kinds of foods as you used to.
This is where you need a lot of will power!
I don't think any of us can tolerate exactly the same things. It's a bit of trial and error.
If you have too much in the band you are very limited and this is not a good thing either as you might find you're eating rubbish because it goes down and stays down...(eg chocolate, ice cream etc)

Wholewheat wraps might be OK but on the whole you should be thinking protein first, then veg & fruit and low GI, high fibre carbs after.
I should think Sushi would be really filling..just the fish type more than the rice one. I personally found sushi rice really hard going ! It's the clumpy-ness of some refined carbs that cause things to get stuck for me.

I had my band really overfull and could not eat anything much a while ago. I can now eat any meat,eggs, some wholegrains (eg the odd slice of soya and linseed bread) all fruit and veg etc. I have porridge also, you don't want to rule out all carbs but just have the good unrefined ones as a part of your diet.
The good bit is, if you go for plenty of dense, dryer, crunchy foods you will feel fuller longer and eat less overall with your band.
I would say try a little bit of rice but maybe have wholegrain/wild and eat it last after the meat/veg.
Pasta and rice etc can swell up in your pouch and stop you getting the all important protein down, plus of course quite easily come back up again! You don't want to be sick too often and put a strain on yourself.

You can get plenty of ideas from searching through banders posts here.
You will get used to what you can and can't have pretty quickly though, and we are all different with that one, different people, different bodies etc!
Eat tiny bites and chew really thoroughly to liquidise everything in your mouth before you swallow it as well.

Good luck anyway x

Last edited:
Back