• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

foods to fill you up longer

BandyEmm

Hey all, hope your all well..

Just wondering what foods do you eat to keep you feeling fuller for longer?

Try the recipe section and try the crustless quiche because my GAWD it is so so so so so filling! I will make it again today as it is so fantastically good! :)

Depends what you can tolerate really Emm, before my defill it was things like porridge , steamed veg etc..now I can eat a lot more. Even a baked potato! I would try and eat things like lean meat (no sauce) as that should stick in the pouch pretty well and it's protein and good for you.
Also fruit like apples and bananas I found filling, veggies etc. I think try and experiment with protein and fruit and veg then wholegrains if you are able to eat them without them getting stuck.

Thanks girls, i seem to be ok with pretty much anything now my sickness spell is over. As long as i bit about a cm of what ever it is at a time... maybe i was biting too much off before... But hey its all learning.

Also do you wait until your belly is loudly grumbling or do you set yourself a set time for meals (ie) 6 tiny meals a day ?

xx

Again, everyone has their own ideas on this, some people are advised 3 meals a day, some smaller more frequent. Sorry to be vague! I think as long as you don't snack on unhealthy stuff you will be OK.
I tend to eat when I'm hungry more or less around normal meal times. There are days when I am hungrier than others but they balance out overall.
I would say don't wait till you are too hungry as you might be tempted to nibble on biscuits etc then not have room for your proper protein etc when meal times come round.
Something like scrambled egg or a tomato/ham omlette will fill you up all morning/afternoon provided you can eat eggs.
I can only eat them now I'm defilled.
If you eat frequently , just make sure it's not to soft or too many carbs that might swell up or stop you from getting the better nutrients.

jacket potato with either tuna or a baked bean filling i always found good and filling and often i felt full after half my meal, also ryvetas (sp) with your choice of topping should fill you with just 1 -2 of them the dryer the food the less you should need to fill the pouch as wet foods just drop through the band to the lower part of the stomach, so try and stay away from wet foods with sauces or gravy....good luck x

Thanks for the tips there :) x

Hi Emm,

I use plain cooked fish no sauce, tuna steak is good as it has a meaty texture, prawns, eggs, chicken with no sauce, cheese, quorn, steamed vegetables and unsalted nuts, soya nuts.

But as others have said, it depends what you can tolerate...it's all experimentation at your stage.

I would suggest to always have breakfast, as this kick starts your metabolism. I have a small bowl of cereal, skimmed milk with a muller light poured over it. It takes me a while to get thru as I am tighter in the mornings but hold the hunger off till lunchtimes.

Lunch is often a very small, light affair...something like lowfat cheese on a few crackers or tuna with salad.

My evening meal is a bit bigger, as this is the meal I share with hubby. But it's the meal I look most forward too because of this.

I would never allow yourself to get too hungry, as this could lead to eating too much too fast and as a bander we need to eat at a good slow pace, take our time and enjoy our food. Before my band I always used to bolt food as I was always hungry. You should aim for between 800-1000 calories minimum a day but say no more than 1500, so to keep energy levels and blood sugar levels balanced it is better to spread this evenly, either with 5-6 small meals a day or three "normal" (band sized) meals. This should be your aim longer term, to get to 3 meals a day with no snacking. ;)

It's like drinking enough fluids, thirst is the first sign of dehydration, you should constantly drink so you don't feel this. How I have overcome this is I have a 2 litre bottle which I fill up in the evening, put in fridge and each day I have lovely ice cold water to drink. I have managed this everyday for ages now and it really makes a difference.

It's definitely a learning curve and you will also find with each fill you have to re teach yourself again, as foods you could tolerate change.

Hope this helps xx

Back