• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Fortisip - is this dumping?

Scarlet

I was given a bag of the foul tasting stuff when I left hospital however, yesterday and today when I had it for breakfast I got pain, dizziness, nausea, and panicky. I think it caused me too dump. Is it known for this? What's better for build-up drinks?

Thanxs guys

A home alone scwared Scarlet

Didn't want to read and run, but as I've never had Fortisip, so I'm not sure of the sugar content - but your symptoms sound exactly like dumping to me.

I first dumped on a few sips of OJ my first week post op, but a few weeks later it was fine, so you may be able to drink it in a few weeks without dumping.

I was given calci-chew and a liquid vitamin supplement - the kind babies get - no protein supplements at all:confused:.

So you should ask your team if you can get something else as you have enough stress with recovery without worrying about dumping on something they've given you.

Hope this helps x

I've heard of a few people dumping on Fortisip and yes it sounds like dumping.
You could try milk fortified with marvel to increase the protein content. You can make that into milky coffee or milkshake with NAS Crusha MIlkshake syrup.
Grace xxx

Where u given fortimel or fortisip.. Fortimel should not cause 'dumping'... Its a meal replacement... Just to put ur mind at ease... Due to the amoubnt of I.V fluids givebn during and after the OP.. Ur stool would be loose for the first few times u go.. U would also expirence irregularities with ur bowels for a while.. That's why u have to avoid a sugary diet..
Hope u feel better soon
XxX

Fortisip is very sweet and is meant for people that cannot eat and need the energy.

Fortimel is the high protein drink - and has less sugar - my hubby had it and he's diabetic.

Add powdered milk to ordinary milk till you get sorted out

xxx

fortisip should not be given to bypass patients as is a high sugar version of fortimel that is normal given to the eldery and children that need a rapid weight gain. I was given one in hospital in error 12 hrs aftr my op and it was not good. Don't take anymore if you wanr something ntil you can get fortimel try slimfast as it still has all the recomended nutrients in(it may look like it has a high suagr content but they are infact lactose sugars which are easier to digest).

Back