• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Frustration!

big fat mama

I was banded on 7th June so nearly three weeks in. I lost 8lbs in the first 8 days but have lost nothing else now for nearly two weeks.

I am doing pretty much as I am told though, mushies I am eating are scrambled egg with skimmed milk, soups (ww tomato or normal lentil soup), very small amounts of soft noodles, small amounts of thin taglitelle pasta with sauce, as much fluid as I can manage and the odd bit of sugar free jelly. I think most days have been less than 500 / 600 cals though not through trying, just from how much / little I need / want.

Have found not really tolerating meat much even if soft and chewed to within an inch of its life. Exercise is light as I ave fibromyalgia and body struggling a little.

Why is everyone else losing weight in weeks 2 and 3 and I havent? Can anyone help me?

Thanks a million lovelies x

Not everyone else is losing weight!Stop comparing yourself to others,keep off the scales,drink loads inbetween food and up the calories/protien.Seems soon to be eating pasta and noodles,they will fill you and stop you getting meat or fish in.Dont forget protien first every time,get some cheese down you milk is good too.Tin tuna is great for boosting the protien level.

I dont eat cheese (hate the stuff and all dairy, yoghurt is only because I was told I should have some dairy stuff) :( also hate tuna and kippers and all that kind of thing they give me the boak. I love "real" meat and prawns but cant do them (too soon I think) which is why I have had ended up reverting to carbs as was getting bored of omelettes and scrambled eggs. I will try to find some more fish type things that I could maybe stomach in place of tuna x thanks v much for taking the time to reply, but you are right about the scales, I'm becoming obsessed with scales in place of my obsession with what I could munch next that I had before x x x x

Mama, it is hard I know but the scales are your enemy at this stage. I do not weigh myself and just go by how my clothes are fitting. Did you get a sheet giving you post op advice in terms of what to eat? Pasta and noodles may be a little early for you plus they are carb laden so may be impacting on your weight loss. Try and get as much protein as you can in first then veg then carb.

Do you have access to a dietician as part of your package? If so it may be worth giving them a ring and explaining what is happening. Finally do not compare as Maz says - that can lead to even deeper unhappiness and frustration. We are all different.

Best wishes

tranquil x

Hey,

I was exactly the same, expected big weight loss the first few weeks and was very disappointed! But to be honest i am losing weight still, very steadily and slowly, but still losing. I have had my first fill and don't have any restriction, but my head is in a good place and i am am following guidelines, hence still losing weight.
I am in Glasgow too, feel a bit annoyed about having to wait another 5 weeks for another fill, i may as well be at WW, but having paid for surgery, gone through surgery, it has made me take a look at what i am doing this time and stick with it how ever hard it is.
My provider gave me strict rules about eating for the first 4 weeks, sloppies were mostly what ever i cooked for my family, blended, but i always put more protein and much less carbs than usual.

Hope you have some good results, cause it does help, i know x

Hello there

Your not the only one hun that hasnt lost weight in weeks 2 & 3. I had my surgery in July 2010 and I didnt lose no weight until Nov ( due to having port resighted as it had over turned and I couldnt have a fill) so I know how frustrating it is to think it not been worth while, how wrong was I , I have gone on to lose 96lbs in less then a year, also please take into account that you haven't had a fill as yet and this can take some time to find your "sweet pot" 500-600 calories in my opinion does seem somewhat low calorific wise, how much fluid are you managing daily ??? I aim for 4/5 pints a day ( built up over a period of time btw) You only have just had your surgery 20 days ago and your body will be up in the air physically and emotionally, it will settle in time and please remember slowly off stays of,your doing all the right things , your weight loss journey will get going again - All the best - MeJulie xxx

I know it's a bit different for me because I'm a bypasser, but I've found that my weight loss has really slowed down in the last ten days and I don't seem to be losing anything. But conversley, people are commenting a lot on how I look slimmer. My jeans have definitely got looser in the last week despite the scales not budging.

I just can't resist stepping on those scales first thing each morning. I think I'm going to have to put them in a cupboard and just bring them out once per week.

The other thing I've slipped up at is writing down what I'm eating. I did this religiously for the first three weeks then stopped. As a result I've made a few bad choices such as normal cheese spread rather than the light version, cafe mocha sachets at 60 cals each rather than a normal cup of coffee etc. Eating more of my 6 meals per day in the evening and not spreading them out enough.
So I'm determined to start writing everything down again.

Ladies, thanks so very much. Will def have to put the scales away again, my other half seems to think i look slimmer so maybe its working in some way. I have a call scheduled with my provider tomorrow night its just the protein thing is a bugbear as I am really very fussy. I think carbs are def not my friends!!

I am drinking a lot of water, squash and tea so think am ok on that front but will def need to have a long chat with them about my options for meals. I read on the BOSPA site that meals to be only 100g - I am having more than that too. Didnt seem to get a diet sheet as such, a very short note on liquids then purees but little guidance as to how these shold be made up i.e. mainly protein. Will keep on going as I know it will work sometime, it has to. My chin(s) up :D x x

Mama have you tried protein shakes? Most health-food stores sell them, plain or flavoured or you can buy online, some even do sachets to 'sample' them before buying a full tin. I know you are on mushy stuff but it might help up your protein.
xxxx sharon

Ladies, thanks so very much. Will def have to put the scales away again, my other half seems to think i look slimmer so maybe its working in some way. I have a call scheduled with my provider tomorrow night its just the protein thing is a bugbear as I am really very fussy. I think carbs are def not my friends!!

I am drinking a lot of water, squash and tea so think am ok on that front but will def need to have a long chat with them about my options for meals. I read on the BOSPA site that meals to be only 100g - I am having more than that too. Didnt seem to get a diet sheet as such, a very short note on liquids then purees but little guidance as to how these shold be made up i.e. mainly protein. Will keep on going as I know it will work sometime, it has to. My chin(s) up :D x x

Hi BFM,

Who is your provider? I had my surgery done at the Nuffield Glasgow on the 5th May, but under Dr Galloway, so if you need a chat i am here, near by!
Am struggling too and finding my provider The National Obesity Surgery Centre, good for somethings but not for others :|
Take care

Claire x

Ok please dont take this the wrong way but you are 3 weeks out and on mushies but you are trying to eat meat plus managing pasta. I know our post op diets vary but meat and pasta are not mushies. Your calorie intake is very low too.

You really need to be careful and follow the post op stages to the letter. If you feel you have not been given enough advice get in touch with your provider, they should be able to advise what you can eat that you do enjoy.

If it helps, I was liquids only for 2 weeks then very mushy for two (blended food), then soft food for 2. Finally more textured food after that. I dont eat meat but my provider advises to avoid it unless minced until 3 months post op. Also to avoid pasta, rice and bread all together - they can cause blockages later on when restricted which can lead to band slippage.

When you move onto more solid food carbs should be the last thing you eat.

I hope you manage to get some advice from your team x

Ok please dont take this the wrong way but you are 3 weeks out and on mushies but you are trying to eat meat plus managing pasta. I know our post op diets vary but meat and pasta are not mushies. Your calorie intake is very low too.

You really need to be careful and follow the post op stages to the letter. If you feel you have not been given enough advice get in touch with your provider, they should be able to advise what you can eat that you do enjoy.

If it helps, I was liquids only for 2 weeks then very mushy for two (blended food), then soft food for 2. Finally more textured food after that. I dont eat meat but my provider advises to avoid it unless minced until 3 months post op. Also to avoid pasta, rice and bread all together - they can cause blockages later on when restricted which can lead to band slippage.

I totally agree 100% here xx

Mazza said:

Very food advise I will be keeping this for a good reference
Good luck Mamma those pounds are gonna come of in no time
Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thanks ladies finally got my call from dietician tonight who told me to eat cottage pie and fish pie (meat and stuff) its so confusing. I wouldnt eat these anyway, told to eat yogurt, stewed fruit, porridge and soup. So that will be it for this week as i couldnt eat cottage pie if if was forced to, and seems to be different from what almost everyone on here would recommend. The last couple of days have been the first stirrings of what feels like regret. I know this is for the best and it is what I need, but, I simply hate wet food would rather not eat at all so this is just hard. Need to just suck it up and get on with it, only 3 weeks til fill and hopefully my band having healed etc. I guess the important thing at least I am not craving "bad" food and without the op I would be 17 stone and not 15. Silver lining. It will pass, but thank you all.

Claire would like to chat with you as I am with same provider and was done at nuffield too and would like your take on it all - thanks again all you are great x x x

Sorry you are feeling a bit regretful but you must of realised that you needed a change in your eating habbits to achieve what you want from the band.

Mushed up fish pie and cottage pie are exactly the sort of thing most of us are advised to eat on the soft stage - fish pie being ocean pie, lots of sauce and mashed potato kind of thing rather than pastry, cottage pie being minced meat in gravy again with mash. Both easy to manage at this stage. Could you try just blending a meal you enjoy, say some meat and veg with some gravy instead?

It must be hard for you if you dont like this texture of food but after each fill you will probably have to stay on liquids then mushy food for a few days.

I know its tough but it will be worth it :D x

Hey just thought id let you know you are not alone! I lost 9lbs in week one because i was eating virtually nothing and only liquids! I have been on mushies for two weeks now. In week two i lost 2lbs but as of today i seem to be back up 3lbs! So instead of leaping on the scales every day ive stopped (twice a week max). A few lbs here and there is nothing to get excited over. Your body has to be confused...junk food, then suddenly liquids, then back to more calorific food, you arent in any routine at all yet! It will work. First fill next week for me and then onto solids. Hopefully this will make a mega difference. Its not a race. Think this time next year, not short term :)

Thanks ladies finally got my call from dietician tonight who told me to eat cottage pie and fish pie (meat and stuff) its so confusing. I wouldnt eat these anyway, told to eat yogurt, stewed fruit, porridge and soup. So that will be it for this week as i couldnt eat cottage pie if if was forced to, and seems to be different from what almost everyone on here would recommend. The last couple of days have been the first stirrings of what feels like regret. I know this is for the best and it is what I need, but, I simply hate wet food would rather not eat at all so this is just hard. Need to just suck it up and get on with it, only 3 weeks til fill and hopefully my band having healed etc. I guess the important thing at least I am not craving "bad" food and without the op I would be 17 stone and not 15. Silver lining. It will pass, but thank you all.

Claire would like to chat with you as I am with same provider and was done at nuffield too and would like your take on it all - thanks again all you are great x x x

Hi, Hope you are having a good day today? Not a good food one for me! But i suppose until we reach the sweet spot it is going to be hard not to revert to old habits :( PM me if you want a chat x

big fat mama said:

Great big massive hugs Mamma
Listen to what you would say to
Someone else in your position
Then you have the answer because
You always give fantastic advise out :)
Xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back