• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Funding in North Lincolnshire

gertiesquidge

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, my GP referred me for WLS and has been arguing with North Lincolnshire PCT ever since. I meet the criteria for the PCT, but they are still delaying and coming back with more and more reasons to not fund surgery.

Has anyone successfully got funding through North Lincs and how long did it take? I'm beginning to think this will never happen :cry:

Hi - just wanted to say welcome :) Sorry you're having such a hard time getting funding :( I'm not from your area so cannot comment on your question. Hopefully someone else can. What new reasons are they giving for not funding?

Hi

Likewise I'm not in your area - I'm in southern Lincolnshire.

Is it worth contacting BOSPA for advice on appealing etc? Xx

Hi LincsLass and SamSara,

Thanks for your replies :)

The PCT haven't made a decision yet, in about a year! They keep asking my GP to repeat information about my medical background, then respond weeks later with another similar query and this has gone on for ages. Their latest question was had I tried medication, I hadn't so my GP prescribed Xenical and I've been on that for 3 months and I'm completley miserable. My new best friend is the toilet and its not stopped, and I am sticking to the low fat diet guidelines. I don't go out any more as I can't be away from my "best friend"!!

The PCT seem to be trying to avoid making a decision, rather than saying no, my GP is completely supportive and keeps pushing back at the PCT but we are getting nowhere. Is there anything I can do?

Well you normally have to prove that you have tried absolutely everything else first and if there is something you haven't tried then they can ask you to try it - in this case xenical. That sounds pretty normal to me although I know it's not what you want to hear. I'm in bed now so I'll respond a bit more in the morning :) Although you feel as though you are getting nowhere, you are getting somewhere as you are on the path of trying everything! Stick with it x

Hi again. I have been trying to find your "obesity care pathway" for North Lincs PCT but cannot seem to find anything. If I were you, I would call or email the PCT and ask them to email/send this to you. This should clearly outline the path you will need to follow in order to get to surgery. My one looks like this: http://www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/PDF/Obesity%20care%20pathway.pdf

As you can see, we have to jump through a number of hoops in order to get to the point of surgery and from what you are saying, it sounds as though your PCT are doing the same. For example, I have tried Orlistat, Reductil, Weight Watchers, Dietetic support via the hospital and finally a 12 month weight management programme. This was despite meeting the criteria. This makes up the trying everything first that a lot of PCTs will expect their patients to have undertaken. It's great that your GP is supportive - mine was anti-surgery so it was a battle to get him to refer me in the first place! I hope that helps :)

ps I managed to find the pathway for North East Lincs http://www.lpc-online.org.uk/bkpage...esitycarepathwayupdatedjan111_essential_5.pdf

Hi Samsara,

Thank you for your replies, I will try contacting the PCT and asking for their "obesity care pathway" document.

I think my frustration comes from them asking my GP to repeat info that is in my records or was in my referral and that they take so long to ask each question. And the request to try Xenical, is perfectly reasonable given the usual "tried everything" criteria, but it took them about 12 months to come up with that request.

I guess I'll just have to keep jumping through all the hoops and see how far I get
Thanks again

Hi I'm based in north Lincolnshire as well and have jumped through all the hoops they've put me through, I'm currently on orlistat. If it doesn't work in a month then applying for funding for a gastric bypass. Thankfully my gp is amazing and is fully supportive (unlike my partner) it would be nice to keep in touch if that's ok as we're in the same region. I hope it doesn't take too long when applying for funding as I heard the pcts have been abolished? So not sure what this means for north lincs? Xx

Hi lolly Lou
I've been completely disheartened by the wait and not been on here for ages, but I was told last week that funding has been granted YEAH :D so I'm back.

Have you got any further with your funding request?

I'd love to keep in touch as we are in the same area :)

Hiya hun I have my first appointment with the surgeon and his team on Tuesday then going from there, as far as I'm aware it's all been granted. Still unsure as to weather to go through with it or not. Are you off to hull by any chance for your consult? My email is [email protected] if you wanna keep in touch. X

Hi
Good luck for Tuesday, hope it all goes well :)
I've decided to go to Doncaster as I'm this side of the bridge and it would make it a bit easier for traveling. I've only just been referred so I've not got an appointment yet. Their online info says the first stage is to attend an information seminar, so I'll let you know when I hear about that.
I'll try and email later when the children are asleep x

Back