• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Funding Q's

NEDebz

I'm wondering what my chances of getting funding from South Tyneside PCT or getting the operation are?

I have weight issues well documented with my GP. Have lost 4-5stones in the past but always seem to put it back on. My BMI is over 50 and although I don't have any of the illnesses that help my mum has High blood pressure, cancer runs in the family as does gall stones.

I suffer from 'dumping syndrome' already and suffer from terrible back ache if I stand for longer than 10 - 15 mins. My hips 'lock' into position when I sit, I rarely make it through the day without needing a nap, my personal hygiene suffers as I find it very hard to keep my back passage clean ( I simply can't reach). I can't walk a flight of stair without needing to stop half way and it takes me upto 5 minutes to get my breathing recover when I get to the top.

I go to see my GP tomorrow to ask for surgery, she is normally quite sympathetic. In the past we've tried Orislat, appetite suppressants and Slimming World.

My stomach is in knots wondering whether I'll get the backing I desperately want.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks xxx

Last edited:
***BUMP***

My appointment was cancelled with my GP and rearranged for Friday this week as she was ill. I have been doing lots and lots of research and have read that it may be beneficial to write a letter to the PCT to accompany the application for funding. Has anybody else done this?

Has anybody who has been diagnosed with compulsive or comfort eating been given funding for surgery?

**BUMP**

Sorry I can't help as I am still early in my journey and in a different PCT but you have lots of valid questions and I hope someone can help you!
x

You need to check what your PCT requirements are for funding but I would say that with a BMI of over 50, you stand a decent chance. Unfortunately illnesses that run in the family are not relevant in this case. Good luck.

Good luck, i hope you get your surgery! xx

Thanks for the replies. My local PCT (South Tyneside) do not have their guidelines on BOSPA and I can't find it on the website but I know the surgery would be done at either Sunderland or Newcastle. So following their guidelines Newcastle follow NICE and Sunderland stipulate that 'Two medical options have been tried – dietary trial and exercise regime on prescription'. I've had slimming world on prescription so I assume that is one of them.

With regards to the NICE guidelines, do you have to satisfy all criteria? This is how I think I fit the criteria:

a)They have a BMI of over 40 and have tried to lose weight by attending a weight management programme and have also tried, where appropriate, the available prescription anti-obesity drugs and been monitored by their family doctor.

I have a BMI of over 50, have had Slimming World on prescription, had different drugs. All weight loss efforts have been monitored by GP

b) They have a BMI of over 50. In this case weight loss surgery can be considered without the patient having necessarily tried different approaches to lose their excess weight.

My BMI is just over 50. (50.9 last time I checked)

c) If the person has a BMI of 35-40 but has one of the serious co-morbidities e.g. Type 2 diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnoea, and other weight loss options have failed.

My husband has asked me to also ask the GP to test me for sleep apnoea, he says that in his opinion that my breathing when asleep is something to be concerned about. I also never feel refreshed when I wake up (even if I've slept for over 10 hours), I always fall asleep in the car, at the cinemas, watching TV. I need a nap most afternoons, wake up with headaches and often with heartburn.

Sorry for all of the questions, I should just shut up and keep it all composed until I see my GP but my head is spinning. I spend every spare second of every day searching the internet and it is lovely to be able to get replies to some of the questions I have

Debbie xxx

Back