• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

funding with no co morbidites!

BECKYBROWN80

hi all
i am still waiting to find out if i have funding for surgery and wanted to know if many of you guys have been given funding with high bmi (as u can see mine is!) but no co morbidites as of yet!!!

thanks this waiting is driving me mad!!!

xx

I would think it all depends on who your pct is . some do and some dont, esp as they cutting back on funding in certain areas and upped bmi's and all sorts. sorry I cant be more helpful, but good luck to you and keep us informed xx

It all depends on the pct. I have no comorbidities and was rejected at a bmi of 49.9 and accepted at 50.1 and have now had my op.

As the others say, PCTs vary. My PCT funds at 40+ with no co-morbidities (ie to NICE guidelines)

Back in 2008 Islington also followed the NICE guidelines with no other stipulations so unless anything has changed that side of it should be fine

I've just seen that you've already got your consultant. With the Whittington being in Islington I reckon they have an idea what's what and wouldn't have accepted you if they didn't feel funding would be fine.

thanks everyone just wanted to get an idea what other peoples experiences have been. my mind is stressing about it as usual. am waiting to hear anyday about funding and with my luck will prob get turned down!!! thanks again. xx

Advice please?

Hi all i'm new to this.
I was referred by my gp for G band with Trafford pct
I was point blank refused and i have bmi of 44 and i have weight related illness and high risk of diabetes and i have an underactive thyroid which is currently at the right level from medication.

There reason for refusal was bmi wasn't 50 and i haven't done the 'new' weight management programme!

What are my next steps i'm at my witts end with my weight problem

Are there any other routes i can take to avoid the year long weight programme?

carrine xx

Yes I had funding agreed and my BMI was similar to yours with no co-morbidities. The reason mine was approved was on fertility grounds. However, as the others have said all PCT's are different x

thanks everyone. have been onto hospital and pct and still no news on funding. it is driving me crazy. feel like i am in limbo! arghhhhhhh it is all i can think about!! xx

Hampshire = nightmare for funding

with no co-morbbidities and a BMI of 58 I was told by my GP no i wouldn't get funding....after private consultation, a change of my height my BMI was 62 and funding was gained

I didn't have any co-morbidities, but had a family history of diabetes. My PCT states 50+ BMI, or 40+ with proof of weight management programme/xenical. I had tried xenical about a year before being referred, and so the GP took that into consideration. My BMI at referral was 45.

Good luck hope u get ur funding soon ;)

HI hun my PCT is kingston, and they have aproved my funding. They automatically aprove funding to anyone with a BMI of 50 or over. I found this out by googleing the pct criterea, and the criterea they follow was on the net. So try that, but I think all London PCTs aprove funding for high BMIs.
How long ago was you referal sent to your PCT? I called my PCT to chase them, and they were really nice and gave me an answer a week after they received the referal, so maybe try giving them a call.xx

I can't offer advice on BMI and stuff (I'm the opposite, low BMI with a number of comorbities and hereditary problems) but I can offer advice on the Whittington.

They can be slow at processing funding claims - I started my "journey" back in May last year and only got confirmation of funding last June! They have an odd system that you have to go through all your tests before you get referred to the panel for funding, which is crazy but there you go. Then again, I've never heard of anyone being refused at Whittington so who knows!

How far along are you? Which tests have you had done and I can try to offer some advice x

Last edited:
my bmi was 44 with no co-morbidities, I was accepted but in the meantime my bmi is down to 38 but i am now a hypertensive type 2 diabetic thanks to the 2 yr wait. my pct follow nice guidelines

thanks everyone. just back from holiday so will be chasing up with pct again on monday. secretary from whitt left a message saying that the pct were waiting on info from docs so will chase up with all parties on monday.
i have done all tests at whitt just waiting for funding approval and then its go go go!!! was told that as soon as i have that i am going straight in pretty much as i have had so many obstacles!!! was told this could be sept/oct!!!! fingers crossed! xxx

Back