• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gall bladder removal before weight loss surgery

marvin6

Can someone tell me if i should have gall bladder removal before bypass surgery?
Some people have it and some people dont, i dont know whether to have it removed.
thanks

im sure your doctor will advise you on that Marvin. Some people have it removed at the same time. Im guessing you have problems with it, good luck :) xxx

I had mine removed a couple of years ago as I got to the point where I was being hospitalised and on morphone on a regular basis due to the pain. However I didn't think it was something they routinely took out unless you were having problems with it? I understand you can have issues with gallstones following the surgery but this isn't necessary the same for everyone. If you're having pain with it now, get rid of it I say! If you're not, personally I'd say leave it be and see what happens but ultimately speak to your doctor as they will know best :)

H xx

I had gall stones and had my gall bladder removed at the time of my bypass. If you get a lot of pain in the gall bladder then you should have an ultrasound to see if you have gallstones then your surgeon can decide if it should be removed or not.
Lynne x

I apparently had a gall stone or two but didn't suffer with them. They were picked up on a scan. Due to the fact the body is prone to make gall stones when you have rapid weight loss, my surgeon thought it prudent to remove my gall bladder at the same time as my bypass and hernia repair.

i had my removed 5 years ago but in usa when they do bypass they remove that at tha same time but my doc said they dont do that here not sure why or if its needed lol sorry hun x

Back