• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gall Bladder removal, what to expect.

mandym1

I have just found out I have a large gall stone and have to have my gall bladder removed.

What can I expect after surgery in way of pain? How does your body function without a gall bladder? I know it helps process fat so low fat diet is best (I live on low fat diet anyway) but what would happen if I ate too much fat?

Sorry lots of questions just a little nervous x

I found out I had one about 10 months ago when I had a liver scan after some abnormal blood results. The guy doing the scan asked if I had any pain but I didnt and he just said it was a silent stone which a lot of people have and it was nothing to worry about.

Since then Ive had my bypass and lost nearly 7 stone. My team told me this could happen but as the stone was not causing me any problems at that time they would not remove the bladder when doing my bypass as it was a healthy organ.

On Wednesday night I was in pain but I thought it was wind so took windeze and lots of hot wtaer but after anout 90 munutes the pain became unbearable and I had diarrhea and vomiting. I couldnt stand up and was screaming in pain I have never felt pain like it. Anyway afetr 3 days in hospital lots of tests and an ultra sound scan they say I now have a large gall stone and my gall bladder need to be removed.

I found out I had one about 10 months ago when I had a liver scan after some abnormal blood results. The guy doing the scan asked if I had any pain but I didnt and he just said it was a silent stone which a lot of people have and it was nothing to worry about.

Since then Ive had my bypass and lost nearly 7 stone. My team told me this could happen but as the stone was not causing me any problems at that time they would not remove the bladder when doing my bypass as it was a healthy organ.

On Wednesday night I was in pain but I thought it was wind so took windeze and lots of hot wtaer but after anout 90 munutes the pain became unbearable and I had diarrhea and vomiting. I couldnt stand up and was screaming in pain I have never felt pain like it. Anyway afetr 3 days in hospital lots of tests and an ultra sound scan they say I now have a large gall stone and my gall bladder need to be removed.
oh good luck mandy :( xxx

I had mine out years ago via keyhole and was up walking 3 hours post op and had no real pain, the pain i had was for 3 years and ended up on pethadin at home to control the pain its agony and you will not notice its gone apart from being pain free :)

Good luck Hun x

I had my gallbladder out 6 years ago. The surgery was not painful. I only took pain pills for a couple days. Now, I get slight dumping symptoms when I eat greasy foods or hot drinks like coffee. I'm not sure if this is common. But, it isn't horrible at all. You will do fine!

Thanks everyone.

I called the Spire today to tell them what has happened and asked could they book me in to see someone about removing my gall bladder. The secretary told me the rules have changed and they would have to apply for funding again.:confused:

Ive asked her to look into this as the only reason I agreed to leave my gall bladder alone at the time of the bypass (even though there was a silent gall stone in there) was because my surgeon assured me if it became problematic post surgery they would get me in and whip it out straight away (his words not mine). I appreciate things change and I am not being ungrateful but I am annoyed that they have changed the rules after my surgery when decisions were made based on the information I was given at the time. Sure things may have changed for new referrals and I understand that. She did seem very vague about it all though and after looking at my records did see that my gall bladder had been discussed so this might help my case. She didnt call me back on both occassions she said she would today so I will be pestering her again tomorrow.

I am so grateful for my bypass so dont want to make a fuss but just some straight answers would be good x

I have just found out I have a large gall stone and have to have my gall bladder removed.

What can I expect after surgery in way of pain? How does your body function without a gall bladder? I know it helps process fat so low fat diet is best (I live on low fat diet anyway) but what would happen if I ate too much fat?

Sorry lots of questions just a little nervous x

Hello Mandy I have had my gall bladder removed in 2009, my body functions the same I do not notice any difference at all, I was on a very low fat diet prior to removal because I had so many attacks and hospital stays that's what they advised me to do. After I recuperated I was able to go back to eating normal things and I do not have any side effects at all. As for the pain aspects I found it more painful then my wls and had a longer recovery period as well (not sure if e1 is the same can only speak for myself ) - I had one nights stay in hospital and had check up afterwards ( doc even showed me my gallbladder before/during and after pics) and I asked for my gall stones and came home with a souvenir of them lol. I would rather go through the op ten fold then have those dreadful attacks all over again . HTH - MeJulie xx

Back