• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gall bladder removal

tesmaralda

Hi everyone wishing you all a very happy, healthier and skinnier new year!

Well you might have guessed have had my scan and yes I do have gall stones, so will have to have my gall bladder removed at the same time:(. she scanned my kidneys tooas per a request from hospital and they are all fine and healthy. My question is has anyone else had theirs removed and will I have to stay in hospital longer?

The sonographer said she thought they may jump me up the list a bit due to the size of them and the risk of infection before they remove them. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of this?

i read somewhere that they often take gall bladders out during WLS, but not sure if anyone's had this experience:confused:

i thought they always removed them as they create byle and thats the stuff that breaks down the food in the stomach ..

and as there is no need for that after the bypass they remove the gall bladder at the same time as the bypass surgery ..

cause gall stones will grow if there is no use for the byle.. so to save operating later date they do it same time ..

this is from what i have read and seen ....

I agree with Brett - from everything I have read (and on many of the 'Fat Doctor' programs) they always remove the gallbladder as gallstones will form following a bypass. This is because bile will not be called for due to the food bypassing the part of the digestive tract which secretes the hormone which calls for the bile.

Lx

Nope, not always removed, depends on the surgeon. I still have mine :) One reason is that if the bile leaks from the gall bladder during removal they can't continue with the bypass due to the risk of infection.

Hi all, I thought they did, because I also watch Fat Doctor.....OOOOh Shaw Somers is lovely, but never mind that! lol. However, on my consultations it has never been mentioned and i've always forgot to ask. So I'm confussed also...Do ya or Don't ya....Justt dunn knnoow!

Nope, not always removed, depends on the surgeon. I still have mine :) One reason is that if the bile leaks from the gall bladder during removal they can't continue with the bypass due to the risk of infection.

Has anyone mentioned to you about the likelihood of gallstones forming since you bypass?

Lx

I still have mine but wish he had removed it, I have heard that gall stones are common after bypass....look on the bright side you will weigh a little less without them horrible stones in there lol...xx

Yeah I talked about it with my surgeon, and because I'm still young we'll cross that bridge if I need to when i get there :)

I agree with Shel - they dont take the gall bladder as a general course of action unless there is a problem identified before or during the op, the risk of contamination and infection means the bypass cannot go ahead

I know they dont take it out routinely because this was a question I asked as I also watched fat dr I just wondered if anyone had had theirs removed and what this adds on to the stay in hosp and recovery time thats all. I have had discomfort from gall stones fro ages but because my hubby had a bad experience I never pursued it cause I am a whimp lol

You'll need to mention it when you see the surgeon. He might want to do an ultrasound and then plan to remove the gall bladder at the same time. Best for him to be prepared for than rather than have it come as a suprise during the op :)

Hi, I had my gall bladder removed when I was 19! I wasn't fair fat or fourty as your meant to be so don't know what went wrong. I used to be very ill before I had it taken out but was fine soon after - I'm now 43 so it was a long time ago and at that time not keyhole surgery. Even so, with a big scar (which you don't get now as my friends daughter just had hers out and it is tiny scar), I was a bridesmade short while after with no pain. You don't need it anyway so might as well get rid of it. You dont need to follow special diet or anything.

Hope you don't need it out, but if you do don't worry it will be fine :D

Karen

I know they dont take it out routinely because this was a question I asked as I also watched fat dr I just wondered if anyone had had theirs removed and what this adds on to the stay in hosp and recovery time thats all. I have had discomfort from gall stones fro ages but because my hubby had a bad experience I never pursued it cause I am a whimp lol

I was told that the gall bladder is one of the first thing the surgeon will check before and during the op, if the gall bladder is producing stones, then they will make the decision to remove it, if they do and there's leakage you dont get your bypass.
I dont think it would affect your lenght of stay in hospital, but that would be something you would have to confirm with your surgeon !

Mr. Ammori told me he does not take the gall bladder out as a matter of course. I kinda wanted mine out (I have had problems not with stones but under functioning and pain) but he said no, without stones he will not remove it during a bypass for the reasons stated by Silversurfer. Mr. Ammori also said that he prescribes the fastabs (lansoprazole) long term to help avoid bile problems.

I think it is a doctor by doctor thing & I know in the states it is often done at the same time as bypass to avoid future problems.

HTH;)

I read something a while back about gall bladder removal, and it was a general assumption that to prevent the need for further surgery in the cronically obese due to the inherant risks of general anasthetic, the gall bladder should be removed at the same time as the bypass operation !

I think like others have said, it comes down to the individual surgeon, one question does spring to mind though, if you have a bypass and then at a later date develope a problem with your gall bladder, would you be elegable under the NHS for its removal if you had your bypass done privately ?

Hiya I should imagine you would be eligible under the NHS, as it would be a medical problem, that could turn into a life threatening emergency if left. That would surely be neglect then by the NHS?

Have just had confirmation from Dr Hartland that they will remove my gall bladder at the same time as my bypass. As I do have gall stones already and the rapid weight loss that is expected will only make the situation worse and will definately end up having to have another op.Oh well in for a penny in for a pound as they say.

I think thats good news T. It will be one less thing for you to worry about post surgery. x

I also think its good news, its means your definately gona av your op soon. x

Back