• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gall bladder removal

i am more scared of the gall bladder op than i am of the bypass my hubby had bad complications and nearly died when he had his removed 8~(

Ah interesting thread. I was supposed to have my gall stones out a couple of years ago but when they referred me for bariatric surgery I was told they would do both together. Then was told they would do bariatric then the gall stones seperate, then told both together, now told they haven't decided.
I do have gall stone problems so mine will come out just not sure when. one of the consultants told me that with heavier patients it is far safer to have you under general anaesthetic two short times than to have you knocked out for double the length of time. It depends on the surgeon I think. I would prefer both done together to be honest but if that means I am at higher risk of complications, then I'll settle for having them done seperate.

Last edited:
Try not to worry chucks, I know it's hard not to, but the likelyhood of the same thing happening to you, as what happened to your hubby is quite slim. Also remember a lot of people who have bypasses have them out at the same time. You'll be alright, focus on the positives, don't let them negetives into your head girl!!! x

I had my gallbladder out when I was 21 as I developed acute pancreatitis and was very ill, in intensive care for 3 days. My surgeon would have removed mine at the time of my bypass if I had gallstones. My stomach looks like a road map what with 2 bypasses, 4 c-sections, appendix and gall bladder.

All the programmes I've seen with shaw sumers on the health channel he's taken the gall bladder out at the same time.

I too had mine removed when i was 24 but when mr new and mr ammori were talking about the bypass to me they both said it depended what they find when they get in there. when i said well there is no point even looking for mine mr Ammorie laughed and said i better look at where yr scar is then. No problems either time with surgery. hope everything goes well for you.
with reference to shaw summers he seems to always do open surgery which makes it easier to get to the gall bladder for removal but longer recovery.
take care
hc

Hiya
I had my gall bladder removed when I was 38, back in 1999. I had keyhole surgery, no real scars to speak of, and was out of hospital after two days. It was quick, easy and fairly painless. Believe it is better to have it out than to suffer the horrific colic pain that is associated with gall stones, i had three trips to the A & E and was given morphine on all three trips because of the pain from the gall stones, I wouldnt wish that on my worst enemy. If you have a chance to have it removed at the same time go for it. The last thing you want is to get over the bypass surgery and then have to go back in at another point in time for gall bladder removal!:)
mnl

Hi,
Interesting thread, i have seen the gull bladder removed when having a bypass but does anyone know if they remove it when you have a band, I have gull stones but they will not remove it until i have lost weight!! so i was wondering if they could do it at the same time rather then putting though 2 opperations?

Kat. x

Back