• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Band Info??

Andrea73

HI All

I have decided that after dieting for the past 20 years and ending up fatter than ever that the only way forward is gastric band. I don't want to spend the next 20 odd years still battling with food and dieting. I'm 5'4" and 16st 4lbs.

My next step is how to I find out about the right surgeon to do the op. I live in scotland.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Also do any of you regret getting the op?
Many thanks, Andrea

HI there

didnt want to read and run. most ppl go to their gp (if having op on nhs) and generally start there etc for referral and so forth.

All the best -MeJulie xx

Hi Andrea, getting the band was the best thing I ever did, im almost 6 weeks post op and have lost 18lb so far, I am over the moon

Dont get me wrong its not easy, giving up the foods you LOVE is very very hard but im starting to realise that the benefits far outweigh the negatives

People are starting to notice my weigh loss and its a real boost to keep it going

I had my surgery through The Hospital Group, I found them to be fantastic and very supportive although others on here would disagree, Mr Super did my op for me, I had my surgery at Dolan Park in Bromsgrove in Birmingham

Good luck with whoever you decide

Kate x

Thanks Kate.

Did you fund your op yourself? I would be funding mine. Do I still need to see my GP first?

I thought that you could still eat normal food whilst having a band although just a lot less of it. What do you eat now on a typical day?

I don't think my husband is too keen on me doing this. Think he is sick of me looking at the next weight loss programme after all I've tried them all from WW, slimming world, lighterlife, cambridge, xenical.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Andrea x

Hey Andrea,
I funded my own Gastric Band, and yes, I did speak to my GP first, but only for advice as to which surgeon and hospital to choose. In my case, they did not need a referal or anything like that. She just wished me good luck.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks Kate.

Did you fund your op yourself? I would be funding mine. Do I still need to see my GP first?
Hi Andrea, yeah I paid myself, it cost £7k and about £500 extra for flights and accomodation (for hubby) I phoned my GP to let him know what I was doing, he wasn't that happy as I am the 1st in my surgery to get it done so he didn't really know that much about it but im sure he'll be impressed with the results when he see's me next

I thought that you could still eat normal food whilst having a band although just a lot less of it. What do you eat now on a typical day?
You cant have rice, chicken or bread for 3 months after the band and then after that you possibly wont be able to tolerate them anyway, you cant have fizzy drinks or chewing gum for the rest of your life, your portion sizes are minute to what you would be eating now. I cant eat chips anymore they get stuck, tried beans and scrambled egg this morning and they got stuck too so cant have them anymore, its trial and error you soon find out what you cant tolerate after your fills

I don't think my husband is too keen on me doing this. Think he is sick of me looking at the next weight loss programme after all I've tried them all from WW, slimming world, lighterlife, cambridge, xenical.
Tried them all myself :sigh: but your hubby should be supporting you as this is a major step and not to be taken lightly, you will need his support BIG TIME as it is a major event on the family, things change, meal times etc, you must eat every 4 hours (advice from my provider) so your meal time mighn't co-inside with his etc

Look forward to hearing from you.
Ask anything on here, everyone is so nice and there will always be someone able to answer your questions, im still learning things myself about it :)

Andrea x

Kate x x

Hi Andrea. Welcome to minimins. You will find that the people on here are very supportive. I had my band fitted privately - £7k - 6 weeks ago at the Hampshire Clinic (strangely enough it's in Hampshire!!). I researched on the internet and decided that I would like Shaw Somers to be my surgeon. Saw him June 15th and had op June 29th. Having my first fill on Monday 10th August. This is the best thing that I have ever done for myself. My husband is very supportive which is really important. He comes to all my appointments - a bit like a appropriate adult really........... he asks things that I forgotten and remembers what the surgeon or dietician has said to me which is a bonus. Good Luck with your journey.

Hi Andrea

Cant help with surgeons in your area but I had my band fitted approx 14 weeks ago and I have lost 39lbs, still have a way to go but have absolutly no regrets. Not having rice, pasta or bread again is a small price to pay compared with your health.

Good luck on your journey!

hi and welcome to minis
I had my band 8wks ago with WLSgroup and have no regrets other than not having it done sooner. my hubby was shocked at 1st but once we discussed it and he read about it he was supportive.
like the others say giving up some foods is a small price to pay for health and happiness. good luck with your journey.

HI, I had my band fitted 14 weeks ago and have lost 63Lb. It is the best thing i ever did.

However it is hard work. To loose weight you have to...

Eat the size portions
Eat healthy food
and Exercise

The band only gives you one of these - restriction. The rest is up to you.

I haven't had restriction yet so am pretty much oing this on my own. I have just had my 3rd fill so hope to get some restriction. I have never had a problem loosing weight It is just keeping it off that I could not do (like a lot of us) so as long as Get restriction soon I will be sure that the weight will never go on.

The one thing that has made a massive difference to me (apart from the band) is the exercise. I was told how important exercise is, and i can tel you it makes the worl of difference. Not only to the weight loss but to your body shape and tone.

Thanks for all the great replies. I have received some info from Surgicare and also been reading up on a company called Cosmetic Bliss. The latter has had very good reviews. It is abroad and is a hell of a lot cheaper. They also do a procedure called gastric sleeve. This actually sounds really good - has anyone had it done????

Thanks for all the great replies. I have received some info from Surgicare and also been reading up on a company called Cosmetic Bliss. The latter has had very good reviews. It is abroad and is a hell of a lot cheaper. They also do a procedure called gastric sleeve. This actually sounds really good - has anyone had it done????

Hi

Yes heard lots of good things about Cosmetic Bliss, I saw the advert after my band and was gutted that the sleeve was cheaper abroad than getting a band in the UK. My OH is saving like mad to get a sleeve there. Other sleevers are Mixman and Blondemoment. Also in the diary section - cant remember the persons name but there is a sleeve diary.:D

Back