• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Band - Let's be honest?

I've never blended anything but sometime when I'm eating out with friends I will eat things that I know I can eat easy so things with lots of sauce even though its not healthy. You still only live once and I'm not going to enjoy eating out with friends. I've lost 8 stone and I've still got 2 stone to go but I'm not going to miss out at the same time x

Hey! Thanks for this. Yeah, saucy stuff for me works best when I'm out. I'm not trying to 'cheat' but find it really embarrassing eating and chewing so slowly when I'm eating out. Especially with people I work with/don't know very well (I have to go out a lot as part of job).

I've only had band since last Summer so my friends still stare/watch a bit - they say they aren't but they are! haha.

It's funny people saying blending is gross - we are told to chew a lot, which is the same principle! Ha.

Like I say I wouldn't do it but hear rumours of people blending all kinds but like Mazza says it's probably just gossip/horror stories :)

I think if you ask the question, you should expect you're going to get all sorts of replies on a forum. Why would we judge here? This is a safe environment.

I've never blended or thought about it, but I guess that's because there are plenty of slider foods that I could eat if I wanted a quick, sweet hit. If I go out, sometimes I would choose something like a lasagne as I know it will go down ok and I won't embarrass myself with it getting stuck.

The worst thing for me was going to a friends house for a meal, getting it stuck and then throwing up mid way through the meal. My band is not common knowledge amongst my friends, so going out to restaurants is a better option!

It's hard to get tone across - I wasn't whingeing just meant that 'no don't do it!' etc when i won't and know why we shouldn't was a bit tedious that's all LOL.

And YES - so embarrassing when mid-meal. I haven't told my dad/stepmum and at Christmas (luckily it wasn't christmas day so no meat/potatoes to contend with) I was eating obviously a lot less and a lot slower than usual and they kept on and on about it. If I thought they were concerned I would have told them, but they were just being nosy and a bit *****y 'oh you'll never lose weight eating like a bird if that's what you're trying to do'.. little do they know it will make me lose weight haha x

No never crossed my mind, although I do have a thing about texture and blended food or lumpy food is my absoloute nightmare, even when I was on mushies I struggled so it wouldn't ever appeal to me I suppose.

My SIL had a band and was known for still eating huge tubs of icecream.....yes she wonders why the band didn't work for her!

never thought about sweet stuff tends to just go down anyway, if i want a treat i have it! I'm exercising regularly and fitting my treats in around my recomended calorie intake so alls well really. If your following a balanced plan i wouldnt see the need to blend like that?? x

Geesh! Huge tubs of ice cream? And to think I've been beating myself up for having a snack of oatmeal yesterday.

No one should beat themselves up over a treat, a treat is a treat and it is normally mini-sized yumminess, not family sized!! seriously this is why that side of the family do not know about my band, they would be all judgemental and about how it hasn't worked for SIL - ummmmm you don't say!

If you don't mind me asking - how do you get on with your family not knowing?
I found it really difficult eating so much less and so much slower over xmas/NY - without people commenting on it or making remarks! I had a couple of soft drinks in the pub - I was conscious and not eaten much and didn't want to be rolling around the place drunk haha - and they started whispering that I was pregnant. Haha x

They just think I am cutting right back, they have accused me if being obsessed with it cause I was so strict even at Christmas but I just turn a deaf ear and inwardly smile!

Ha! Yes, same here. My Stepmum was looking at me like I was a lunatic because I was chewing so much - she just shovels it in. I'm a bit obsessed with watching people when they chew (or not) now and the speed they eat. There's definitely a bit of me eating v slowly - probably bizarrely so to people who don't know what I've had done - and them going mad putting mouthfuls in as soon as they've swallowed something.

Ha! Yes, same here. My Stepmum was looking at me like I was a lunatic because I was chewing so much - she just shovels it in. I'm a bit obsessed with watching people when they chew (or not) now and the speed they eat. There's definitely a bit of me eating v slowly - probably bizarrely so to people who don't know what I've had done - and them going mad putting mouthfuls in as soon as they've swallowed something.

I'm noticing how MUCH other people eat! Lol x

I couldn't imagine blended any food for a treat hit, but then Unfortunatly for me all the treats that I crave are slider foods like crisps and chocolate, so staying away from them is super hard as they are so readily available.

Personally I would say if you really are craving something, and you don't have major band issues with it then eat it, ideally in a small portion and slowly, so u enjoy it and it hits the spot. I don't believe in being a martyr to yourself the band is meant to be setting you up for life and I don't believe we are expected to live the rest of our lives not eating foods we once took pleasure in.

Just we strong and make sure a small treat doesn't lead to you falling of the wagon, which ultimately comes down to being more disciplined and life is a learning curve. I find depriving myself send me a bit loopy so Im learning when to give in and when to distract myself

Regarding noticing how much people can eat, wow im only 2 weeks post op and im already looking at my husbands plate and feeling shocked as to how much is on it. The really scary thing is id eat bigger portions than he did alot of thr time...oh the shame!! X

Back