• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric band

dan1982

Only 1 week to go till my surgery date I'm having a band fitted at Dolan park and the nerves are starting to set in.
I'm not really worried about the operation as I know it's definitely what I want I more worried about how I will be after , what I will be able to eat what I won't will I have the will power to work with my band so many questions and seems every think you read has different opinions I guess everyone is different.
I have purchased some mouth spray as a tip of another bander chewable multi vitamins I'm not sure if there is anything else I need suggestions would be good.

good luck to you, having the will power to work with a band will be the difference between it working for you or not. In needs a lot of willpower but it can be a great tool to aid you in losing weight. As it is, not everyone finds their band stops them eating certain foods although for many it does. It's a life changing thing, but one that can be so positive in how it can change, if you're prepared and willing to change with it :)

Only 1 week to go till my surgery date I'm having a band fitted at Dolan park and the nerves are starting to set in.
I'm not really worried about the operation as I know it's definitely what I want I more worried about how I will be after , what I will be able to eat what I won't will I have the will power to work with my band so many questions and seems every think you read has different opinions I guess everyone is different.
I have purchased some mouth spray as a tip of another bander chewable multi vitamins I'm not sure if there is anything else I need suggestions would be good.
Hi Dan

I had my band fitted at Dolan Park 1 week ago. Very positive experience as was very well looked after. I got myself chewable vitamins, deflatine, gripe water and soluble paracetamol. I also had my medication changed by my GP to liquid so I had everything ready. I also stocked up on soups, yoghurts and slimfast. Would definately recommend puréeing some prunes to add to the yoghurt a couple of times a day as the constipation was awful. I have found my favourite yoghurts are the muller light greek yoghurts and pour puree fruit on it. Also Tesco tubs of low fat custard are delicious. It's getting a bit boring eating the same things, but it's only for 1 more week, then I start sloppy food next Sunday. Who's doing your op for you? I had Mr Super. Apart from the wind pain, which is still around one week later, not had any problems so far. Only needed paracetamol for 4 days too so pleased with things so far.

Good luck xxxxxx

Hi Dan, it's natural to have some nerves - it's a major change you're making!
I'm 6 months post-op, and can eat pretty much anything I want bar bread. That's not ideal, as eating anything I want was what got me to 25 stone! As Top Kat has said, a lot of willpower is required, especially in the initial stages before restriction kicks in.

As it stands I eat a huge variety of food, I enjoy eating out and tend to go out for dinner a few times a week. What the band has done for me is to allow me to eat smaller meals without feeling starving hungry within half an hour. I CAN eat larger portions if I choose to, but I choose not to as that would be working against the band rather than working with it.

Hope that makes some sense!

welcome Dan :) and good luck for next week. i was banded on thursday so cant really comment as to the after life but will add the wind pain is uncomfortable and the blooming stockings are a nightmare grrr lol im sure its going to be a huge learning curve x x x good luck and congrats

Good luck Dan, they will really look after you at Dolan Park! I found I could not tolerate Slimfast, so I lived on milky coffee and soup for the first week, stock up on peppermint tea too as this really helps with the wind.

Thanks for all the encouragement I've ordered some of the deflating and soluble paracetamol thanks for that really helpful excitement starting to set in now

Good Luck!

Will be following your progress. Have my Band surgery booked for 18th March. The excitement is killing me now and i want it to be done and dusted!

All set for the pre op liquid diet starting tomorrow 7 days of not much more than milk isn't going to be easy but all worth it.

Hi Dan i was banded back in october and like you was nervous come the time of the op! But on the other side now it has changed my life. I've got my life back the life i used to have. It takes a lot of will power but it can help you achieve something wonderful.
I too can pretty much eat anything other than bread which leaves me feeling insanely full.

I do not deny myself treats and in fact at the moment especially probably have too many treats, my body cant handle sugar the same anymore though so i find myself stopping after a reasonable treat as i couldnt have more if i wanted too.

Good luck!!!!! x x x

Does any one know if there is any food you can eat on the pre op diet I'm in the liquid one and so far I have stuck to it but really struggling

It's worth checking with your provider as some have a range of different pre-op diets. Milk and yogurt is a mare, especially in the first couple of days, but it's vital that you maintain your pre-op diet in order that your liver is small and soft enough to give access to your stomach for the band to be placed. This close to your op it's really not worth cheating as it will jeopardise your op and your safety on the operating table, so unless your provider gives you an alternative plan to follow just keep focussed on the end goal, grit your teeth and remind yourself it's only a week. You can cope for a week!

Google the Royal Berkshire NHS pre op gastric band diet, I have an intolerance to milk and tried this one, lost 12lbs in two weeks, its small quantities of food low in carb, fat and sugar. Hope this helps.

Finally plucked up the courage to tell everyone in work about my band everyone was positive/shocked I wasn't going to tell anyone but thought better to tell everyone and have everyone understand what I'm going through.

Only 48hrs to go stuck to the diet and that's gone rally well lost 9pnd in 5 days got my op times today so the excitement / nerves have really intensified but i think more than anything I'm now looking forward to the changes that are going to happen .

Yoday is the day

We'll today is the day it's come around so fast I'm in my room at Dolan park just waiting for my surgery time

Good luck Dan the waiting is the worst :) hang in there wishing you all the very best look forward to hearing your updates when you out and feeling better x x

Back