• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Bypass Post-Op Wilderness

Just jump on threads hun & ask away, if your feeling down, fed up or frustrated write it down. Guaranteed that one of us will have either felt the same or is feeling the same....and obv the long timers are all incredibly helpful.... and everyone likes to hear about your positives & milestones however trivial they MAY seem :)
Hope your having lovely weekend xx
Thank you. It is sooooooo nice to realise the emotions I am experiencing are not unique, and I am not an idiot. If anything I have taken a step towards freeing myself from a body that was unhealthy, and I feel proud that I made a decision to do that.

Hi and welcome Trevelyan :) x
Thank you Frances. It is inspirational to see other peoples weight losses, and to know, that although this is my personal journey (and no-one can do it for me), that others have gone before me and acheived their goals. I am so glad my friend told me about this website.

Thank you Frances. It is inspirational to see other peoples weight losses, and to know, that although this is my personal journey (and no-one can do it for me), that others have gone before me and acheived their goals. I am so glad my friend told me about this website.

It's one big happy family here been here since 2010,and at times I'm more clued up than my own doctor regarding my bypass!..lol.
Good luck x

Welcome to the losers bench. And welcome to the forum, just to echo what everyone's said, this place is great for support, advice and inspiration. If theres anything you need, or just need to rant and let off some steam then this is the place to do it. Have a look at the forums and ask questions, theres normally somebody who knows the answer.

Good luck with your journey x

Hello and welcome, I know exactly how you feel, I had my gastric bypass 31/10/13 and went private and as such I had no meeting with a dietician only one phone call pre op and one phone call post op, just given diet sheet and left to get on with it, I don't know how I would of managed without the support and guidance from the lovely people on this site, there is a wealth of info on here and someone always willing to offer advice and guidance and also recipes etc. good luck on your journey xxxx

Welcome to the losers bench. And welcome to the forum, just to echo what everyone's said, this place is great for support, advice and inspiration. If theres anything you need, or just need to rant and let off some steam then this is the place to do it. Have a look at the forums and ask questions, theres normally somebody who knows the answer.

Good luck with your journey x
Thanks Jenny. Everyday is getting easier!!!!! (I think???)

Hi Trev,
How are you doing/feeling etc xx
Hi Clare.

I am doing ok, thanks for asking. Dusted of my exercise bike and purchased "life after WLS" books from Amazon filled with recipe ideas, portion guides, health issues and other useful tips for life post op.

I have moved from my "OMG, what have I done!!!!" and feeling completely overwhelmed by everythig phase into my "ok, lets get on with it" phase.

I am keeping a food diary to help me track weight loss as I am rubbish at eating at the moment as I am not hungry which I know will slow down weight loss, healing time etc in the long run.

4 weeks post op tomorrow, and still here!!!!!

whop whop hunni :) good to hear your doing well. the books sound like a good idea may have to have a peek on ebay...... exercise machine coming up on ebay too which i'm hoping to grab so can get exercising. Tops of my legs looking saggy lol Yay for your 4 weeks anniversary amazing how everything gets better daily :)
Looking forward to my jacket potato soon.... mushy here i come :)
x x x x txt ya later

whop whop hunni :) good to hear your doing well. the books sound like a good idea may have to have a peek on ebay...... exercise machine coming up on ebay too which i'm hoping to grab so can get exercising. Tops of my legs looking saggy lol Yay for your 4 weeks anniversary amazing how everything gets better daily :)
Looking forward to my jacket potato soon.... mushy here i come :)
x x x x txt ya later
Hi Hunni

Definitely have a look for WLS books. I have ordered:

1) Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook for Dummies,
2) The Everything Post Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook: All
You Need to Meet & Maintain Your Weight Loss Goals
3) Eating Well After WLS - Low Fat High Protein Recipes

Hopefully these will answer ALL the questions about eating healthily because to be honest, at the moment I am eating sporadically because I am not hungry and I dont fully understand what I need and why. Slimfast and soup are my comfort blanket and I need to let them go and make smart choices!!!!

I am not so anxious about the need to be losing weight every week - after all from reading lots of different posts on here, we are running a marathon not the 100m sprint!!!! God forbid I ever run!!!!!!

Hope all is well with you and you are managing ok. My hospital date for check up is 25/3 @ 2pm. I have a feeling you are before this. Text me your date and I will see if I am able to meet up. Work have been lovely, and I am heading back into the office on Monday so I need to get organised re lunches / snacks and not fall back into old pattern of skipping breakfast & lunch.

Hugs to you x x x x x

Hi Hunni

Definitely have a look for WLS books. I have ordered:

1) Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook for Dummies,
2) The Everything Post Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook: All
You Need to Meet & Maintain Your Weight Loss Goals
3) Eating Well After WLS - Low Fat High Protein Recipes

Hopefully these will answer ALL the questions about eating healthily because to be honest, at the moment I am eating sporadically because I am not hungry and I dont fully understand what I need and why. Slimfast and soup are my comfort blanket and I need to let them go and make smart choices!!!!

I am not so anxious about the need to be losing weight every week - after all from reading lots of different posts on here, we are running a marathon not the 100m sprint!!!! God forbid I ever run!!!!!!

Hope all is well with you and you are managing ok. My hospital date for check up is 25/3 @ 2pm. I have a feeling you are before this. Text me your date and I will see if I am able to meet up. Work have been lovely, and I am heading back into the office on Monday so I need to get organised re lunches / snacks and not fall back into old pattern of skipping breakfast & lunch.

Hugs to you x x x x x

Will have a look at the books, I did look pre op but wasn't sure what to get but recipes would be a great help.
I guess the difference between us now is i'm HUNGRY :eek: but until i get a fill now and find restriction the battle is with my head and not allowing myself to over eat. According to my info sheets 4 weeks puree then 2 weeks mushy so am still doing ok :D Seems our hospital info not as helpful as it may have been, i've learned just by being here, its protein first then veg then carbohydrates at end (if still hungry) your body burns more fat if you eat protein. Protein is the most filling food which keeps you fuller for longer to, i don't recall any info sheet explaining any of this lol :8855: I guess its just a huge learning curve to find what our body's want and need, and the goal posts are going to always be moving too.

re weight loss i think you've just got to relax about it and take it as it comes, there will be good weeks and some bad but at least we are going in the right direction and our new tool will help us maintain it....... My thinking is even just 2lb a week that's 5-6 stone by Christmas.

Clare-revised went back to work this week and listed food she was taking that may be some help :D

Yep hospital 12th March next Wednesday @ 2 Jeremy and dietician that should be fun !! will find out if i've been doing ok i guess lol
Be lovely if you were around to meet up but understand now your back to work its not so easy ... either way we'll catch up soon enough hunni
In the meantime sending huge hugs also take a look at nervousbutdetermind Tinas diary she lists her food daily that may give you some ideas for when your of puree. Theres also a thread somewhere with food ideas and quantities and menus in the bypass section, worth a nose x x x x x

Hi Trev,
My food bag for work as follows:

Ready Brek
Almond milk (half fat of skimmed milk)
Tinned soup (Heinz on offer Tesco 50p per tin)
WW crackers (75cal for 4 thins)
Laughing Cow Lite Triangles (absolute saviour)
Cherry toms
LF houmous
Princes paste

So many choices for 'just in case' purposes, I've mainly stuck to triangle and toms OR soup so far!

I haven't a sweet tooth, but have got horlicks lite in drawer.....just in case x

Hi Clare

Thank you for the lunch ideas - I am currently working from home, but looking to return to work within the next couple of weeks (once I am "eating" properly - no puree, no mush, no mash!!!!).

I am really looking forward to getting dressed up for work again, and the ideas you have given for lunches are "normal". I was dreading going back to work and either having soup everyday or my biggest fear was skipping lunch altogether (as I used to do pre-op) which we all know is a recipe for disaster.

I have invested in a lovely lunch bag, and multi-coloured pots and tubs just to make lunchtime interesting.

Thank you for the hints and tips x x

Hi Clare

Thank you for the lunch ideas - I am currently working from home, but looking to return to work within the next couple of weeks (once I am "eating" properly - no puree, no mush, no mash!!!!).

I am really looking forward to getting dressed up for work again, and the ideas you have given for lunches are "normal". I was dreading going back to work and either having soup everyday or my biggest fear was skipping lunch altogether (as I used to do pre-op) which we all know is a recipe for disaster.

I have invested in a lovely lunch bag, and multi-coloured pots and tubs just to make lunchtime interesting.

Thank you for the hints and tips x x

Honestly Trev, noones noticed or cares really! The more you make of it, worse it seems. Obv if you can tolerate it yogurt is always great standby xx

Honestly Trev, noones noticed or cares really! The more you make of it, worse it seems. Obv if you can tolerate it yogurt is always great standby xx

I know - but I want to make the effort to be organised and make this whole transition work. And brighly coloured pots are such fun!!!! :) :)

You've joined the pretty container club hun LOL i've got lots of pretty coloured containers and sippy cups, child's pink butterfly plate and bowl and brightly coloured knife, fork and spoon set :) The plan is once back on to proper food going to get a pretty place mat too so i sit at the table rather than eating from my lap in front of the telly !!! Got a rather cute sandwich tin and some pretty jelly molds too ...... its all in the presentation eh :)

Have added to my stash of pretty's today :) a minnie mouse plate, mug and bowl :)

Yay. Ethan has a china Loony Toons set with Bugs Bunny, Tweetie Pie, Taz etc, but he wont let me use it as I might break it???? I think he is hoping it may be an antique of the future and worth a bob or two :D :D

Back