• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Sleeve in 4 weeks

sophiapink100

So I have my date for my Gastric Sleeve on the 10th Feb. After 5 long years of fighting to NHS for this the day has finally come and I have the most bizarre feelings.

Is it normal to be excited yet petrified of the change. I don't know what my life will be like on the other side. Will all be ok etc?

Thanks,

Sophia

Shadaca

Congratulations....

And yes - I was terrified, but I'm coping now. Still early days (just over two weeks) but I now know it will be fine.

You'll be groovy. :)

audrasharon

Thank you :) How are you recovering? I have 2 weeks booked off work for the op but nervous it won't be enough

Hi I had my Sleeve on 17th Dec, 3 week ago I'm recovering really well but don't feel ready to go back to work. I could if I had too but feel I need to be settled into purée stage first. I was very anxious before surgery but never excited. I knew it was what I had to do. I am excited about my new life but not the surgery! The whole experience has been much better than I expected despite a little complication. I don't regret a thing! X

Shadaca

So far so good - and it depends what you do, I'm signed off for 6 weeks, but I have back issues too so better safe and all that. (I'm bored as a bumpkin at the moment though!)

sophiapink100

Thanks Ladies.

I work in an office based environment. I only have so much leave left to take so max I can have off is 2 weeks and 2 days. Fingers crossed I will be ok.

I am not excited for the surgery I am scared as hell. I am excited for my new beginning afterwards.

How have you found the diet you have to follow?

Salliebeth

So I have my date for my Gastric Sleeve on the 10th Feb. After 5 long years of fighting to NHS for this the day has finally come and I have the most bizarre feelings. Is it normal to be excited yet petrified of the change. I don't know what my life will be like on the other side. Will all be ok etc? Thanks, Sophia

Hi sophiapink, I felt just the same as u!!! I had my sleeve on 3rd jan 2014 - 5 days ago, I am feeling well, but really tired!!!! I am now full of excitement for the future!! I am sure you will be fine, but your feelings are normal!!! Take care xxx

sophiapink100

Thanks ladies.

I only have so much leave left so can only take a max of 2 weeks and 2 days off paid. I work in an office so should be ok.

How are you finding the post op diet?

I am not excited for surgery just my new life afterwards. I am scared as hell of the op itself.

slimpip

Sophiapink, I'll be 5 days ahead of you, having my sleeve on 5th feb. Please do join the february surgeries thread in the general weight loss discussion section, we're all getting a bit giddy with excitement/nerves, we'd love to have you join in xxx

sophiapink100

Hi All,

Keep trying to reply but it won't let me for some reason. Hopefully this goes through.

How are you guys that have had the op finding the post op diet?

I will deffo join that feb surgery thread thank you :)

I am not excited for the op. I am scared! But excited for my new life post op.

Sophie x

sophiapink100

Sophiapink, I'll be 5 days ahead of you, having my sleeve on 5th feb. Please do join the february surgeries thread in the general weight loss discussion section, we're all getting a bit giddy with excitement/nerves, we'd love to have you join in xxx

I can't seem to find the thread :-(

slimpip

If you go to general surgical weight loss discussions, it's currently the 6th thread down :) x

Rosh81

So I have my date for my Gastric Sleeve on the 10th Feb. After 5 long years of fighting to NHS for this the day has finally come and I have the most bizarre feelings.

Is it normal to be excited yet petrified of the change. I don't know what my life will be like on the other side. Will all be ok etc?

Thanks,

Sophia

Congrats my dear and yes it is

after my insurance approval I took 8 months to decide on a date myself and had the same fears of yours

all these mixed feelings are normal

Good luck :)

sophiapink100

Congrats my dear and yes it is after my insurance approval I took 8 months to decide on a date myself and had the same fears of yours all these mixed feelings are normal Good luck :)

Few. That's good to know. I was giving my op date only 3 weeks ago and it is in 4 so not had a lot of time for the idea to sink in!

pooh71

So I have my date for my Gastric Sleeve on the 10th Feb. After 5 long years of fighting to NHS for this the day has finally come and I have the most bizarre feelings. Is it normal to be excited yet petrified of the change. I don't know what my life will be like on the other side. Will all be ok etc? Thanks, Sophia

Sleeves are FAB! you'll love it. I had mine last February and I really don't regret a thing. I was petrified too as I was a very heavy patient, but i came through okay :) just stick religiously to what they tell you to do and you'll be fine. Life on the other side is the same as before, it really is ( after recovery) just much smaller portions! I can eat pretty much everything I had before but nowhere near as much. I just don't eat bread untoasted and I don't really have much pasta and rice but that's more because I don't feel like it. Good luck x

sophiapink100

Sleeves are FAB! you'll love it. I had mine last February and I really don't regret a thing. I was petrified too as I was a very heavy patient, but i came through okay :) just stick religiously to what they tell you to do and you'll be fine. Life on the other side is the same as before, it really is ( after recovery) just much smaller portions! I can eat pretty much everything I had before but nowhere near as much. I just don't eat bread untoasted and I don't really have much pasta and rice but that's more because I don't feel like it. Good luck x

I do hope so. I am currently 184kg. I started at 188, 4 weeks ago and then was given a date so was told I had to diet. Hoping I will lose about 7-8kg on the milk diet to give me a kick start.

How has your first year been loss wise?
X

Smallerme

What about sick leave if you need it? Something else to consider is the level of exhaustion in the first weeks after surgery as well as getting used to the diet. You'll need a lot of rest. People can and do manage on a couple of weeks but consider that you may need to go off sick if necessary. I had 6 weeks off and definitely wasn't ready before then. I do have a job that's very busy and fairly physical though.

I can now eat most things comfortably, I'm almost 3mths out. I'm sticking to protein first, then veg but have small amounts of carbs.