• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastroscopy in the morning! Scared

borogirl

Hi I think I am more scared about this than the op! Do I need to be sedated? Have to have this at Sunderland, planning to have a sleeve x:cry:

Do I need to be sedated?

They will only sedate you with local anaesthetic if you have a friend with you who can accompany you home.

If you go unaccompanied they cannot administer anaesthetic, and just give you mouth freeze spray (which is not very effective).

I've had to have 2 x gastroscopies (one pre-op and one after) and they are not that nice ..... but they don't last long. It will all be over and done with in less than 60 seconds, so don't fret too much.

Good luck for tomorrow. I had the throat spray and once it was done, it felt ok. The procedure isn't painful, just unpleasant. I was wretching, had tears streaming and some snot mixed in, but the staff kept wiping my face and being extremely reassuring - they do this all the time, I s'pose. It's all over pretty quickly, so not too bad.
Let us know how you get on..

I had one for a different reason but they are over quick. Take the sedation if it is offered to you because they use a drug that makes you forget everything that happens which is great as it's like nothing happened and you just have a little sleep after but if you don't want a sedation, as everyone says it's unpleasant feeling but it's over fast and it's all for a good reason. The staff reassure you lots and talk you through it. Best of luck :) x

borogirl said:
Hi I think I am more scared about this than the op! Do I need to be sedated? Have to have this at Sunderland, planning to have a sleeve x:cry:

Hello, i had mine at sunderland in may, i asked for throat spray and sedation, it wasnt a pleasant experience but was done in minutes, the staff are lovely and when i was waiting in the recovery area the dr came over and said i was on the waiting list, (im having a bypass) roughly a six month wait, its all worth it in the end, take care-it will soon be over x

Good luck for tomorrow. I had the throat spray and once it was done, it felt ok. The procedure isn't painful, just unpleasant. I was wretching, had tears streaming and some snot mixed in, but the staff kept wiping my face and being extremely reassuring - they do this all the time, I s'pose. It's all over pretty quickly, so not too bad.
Let us know how you get on..

Sounds pretty much the same as my experience though I had to be sedated as the mouth spray might have caused an asthma attack. Can't say the sedation did much good either, but as everyone says, it's over in a flash.

Hi thanks for your comments. It was better than I thought and I did take the sedation. BUT they told me I have acid reflux and a hernia. Now I panicking as I planned to have a sleeve. Got some info which says letter will follow in the post. Panicking n

Hi thanks for your comments. It was better than I thought and I did take the sedation. BUT they told me I have acid reflux and a hernia. Now I panicking as I planned to have a sleeve. Got some info which says letter will follow in the post. Panicking now as this was my preferred option.

I have acid reflux, didn't stop my op, and I think Angee has a hernia and she still had her op. It's good that they have found these as you can start treatment, but they are unlikely to affect your surgery x

Thanks - I didnt know I had a hernia so its a bit of a shock! Thought I would be a straight forward case. I will wait for my letter x

Hi thanks for your comments. It was better than I thought and I did take the sedation. BUT they told me I have acid reflux and a hernia. Now I panicking as I planned to have a sleeve. Got some info which says letter will follow in the post. Panicking now as this was my preferred option.

Hi. I have an umbilical hernia and they are still going to do either a by pass or a sleeve. So you will still get it done.

As I have had a hernia op in the past, he is not sure if he will be able to move some of my organs out of the way, depends if there are any adhesion's. That will mean sleeve rather than by pass. I won't know till i wake up!! Lol. x

Wobbletogo said:
I have acid reflux, didn't stop my op, and I think Angee has a hernia and she still had her op. It's good that they have found these as you can start treatment, but they are unlikely to affect your surgery x

Yes i had an hiatal hernia but still had the wrap
They can repair it at the same time but certainly did not stop me having the op
Didnt stop me worrying about it though
The operation seems too good to be true and it is

I had one for a different reason but they are over quick. Take the sedation if it is offered to you because they use a drug that makes you forget everything that happens which is great as it's like nothing happened and you just have a little sleep after but if you don't want a sedation, as everyone says it's unpleasant feeling but it's over fast and it's all for a good reason. The staff reassure you lots and talk you through it. Best of luck :) x
You are right.
I just do the gastroscope inspection, doctors and nurses are very friendly. They gave me an injection of sedatives. I feel time passed very quickly. Now I am recovering well.

Good on ya Tom. Its just the waiting what gets to ya. well done hun

I didnt have to have a gastrop thingy but in my consent on the morning of my op he said if he found a hernia he would repair it while he had me open so I wouldnt worry. Ive also had reflux and some ulcers in the past but I still got my band. Chillax hon. Hugs and well done xxxxx

Back