• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Getting my band on Wednesday

cant help with tips as im a bypasser ,but still wanted to wish you very good luck

Actual op not so bad, but follow the post op rules, they are there for a reason. Don't try to rush it, we're in it for the long haul this time. :)

Make sure you have some peppermint tea handy for the wind pain, and a couple of bottles of liquid paracetamol as a bottle doesn't last that long. Other than that as the others have said, follow the rules to the letter and don't be tempted to go onto sloppies/solids earlier than you should.

Good luck! It's life changing but in a good way x

echo all above follow your rules rigidly :) lots of r&r after opp ...wind pain is not nice but control it with pain meds and a hot water bottle..... moving around helps too ..... stay here for plenty of hints and tips , its a lovely friendly site :) wishing you all the very best...... welcome too x x x x oh and good luck x x x

Thanks everyone, nice to hear from you all. The main thing is you all agree that it's definitely worth it. I suppose I'm just having last minute jitters which is normal. I'll make sure I get some peppermint tea got some chewable Windeeze. Does the hospital supply any pain killers or will I need to take them with me? Can't wait to get it over with I'll be sure to follow the rules. Thanks everyone really nice to speak to people who understand xxx

if your nhs they will provide the pain relief private I believe you will have to get your own....

The band is what you make it sweetheart :) work with it and it will do its job perfectly.....work against it and yes it could be an expensive regret ......

I'm 1 year down and almost 9 stone down no regrets, but lately its getting harder as the weight slows down, after all you have still got to have the will power to make it work..... its you that's got to make the decision not to put stuff in your mouth...unfortunately its not a band around our brains to stop those nagging demons LOL gl hun as long as your willing to work hard it will repay you 10 fold x x x

Love my band good luck with it 18 months out now lost 4 stone and had a baby in that time too! Well worth it! I went private but they did provide me with a sack full of painkillers! X

Well done you and congrats on the baby! Good to know about painkillers as I'm going private too. 2 days to go........ Xxxxx

Even in private hospitals they will give you post op pain relief and a pile of stuff to take home

HI!! want to wish you all the best for today and the start of your journey. I'm not sure how much i an help because I had bypass surgery but no matter what the surgery it will be emotional for good and bad reasons, you are changing your life. What got me most was saying goodbye before going into theatre (I'm a cry baby), but my nurse did a good job at distracting me.

Keep to the plan don't rush anything, nor substitute something good for something bad, my sister has a friend who had a band and she would eat chocolate instead of meals because it melted before reaching the stomach and she barely lost any weight.

Don't try to do too much, i had a few pains after because i was lifting and bending and overall doing too much.

Most important things is to go to the follow up appointments, dont neglect them once you have what you want.

Also dont cope with the pain, my nurse called my her rockstar but would give me evils when I sat in discomfort... have the pain relief, it won't hurt.

Lastly... I don't know if it is the same but don't expect to sleep the first night. I had nurses, doctors coming in every 20 minutes to check something or other. It did help me get on my feet and move around quicker and resulted in me being discharged the following night.

Hi everyone, thankyou for the messages. Home safe and sound and although when I move I feel like I've been kicked in the stomach by a horse if I keep still I can get comfy and only feel a bit of wind now and then. The surgeon found a hernia when he was in and fixed that too which was good of him, I think down the line it would have caused some problems. Only taking small sips of water and peppermint tea, managed a yoghurt yesterday and going to try some soup today but the nurse said as long as I'm taking water not to worry too much about anything else so soon after the op. Looking forward to getting my movement back hopefully In a few days as I'm due back to work on Tuesday! I'll be sure to follow the rules liquids then soft food and take it from there, really helps to know you guys are out there, I'll let you know how I am tomorrow. What were your recovery experiences and did you have the same heavy discomfort when sitting up and moving around?! Thanks again xxx

Wow! Im so glad you are home and well. You will be sore for a little while but it will ease, make sure you take the pain killers and dont over do it.

Im a little shocked to hear you are working tuesday as the doctors advise you take a little time off work (not sure how long it id for a band but can be up to 8 weeks with bypass depending on the job).

Try that again I hit send by mistake.... Yeah only my partner and my parents know so need to get back to normality quickly. The bypass is a much bigger op so I would expect you to be off longer Im in an office so hopefully be ok, will see how I am on Monday.

Just having some tomato soup, half a cup and I'm done! Now to try and get myself up for a shower that's going to be a task and a half! Xxx

Nyc - good luck tomorrow they will offer you a date fairly quickly privately as long as you meet the criteria. Let us know how you get on xxx

Welcome to the losers bench, I can't answer your questions about recovery as I had a bypass, but I am able to move quite freely as long as I don't try to do too much. The lady that was in at the same time as me, but having a band, seemed much less mobile than I was. Listen to your body and be guided by that.

Look forward to hearing about your journey

Lynn x

Back