• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

giving blood after surgery

I know this is an old thread but just wondered if there are any more recent thoughts on giving blood after Gastric Surgery. There don't seem to be answers out there for this.

I Decided to give blood earlier this year (2010) but was anaemic. Then started on Thyroxine, next it will be statins and hopefully my op late spring.

I really want to give blood one day, as I am O neg and could help people, but will it ever happen?????? Trisha

I used to give blood in my younger days; but once on medication not allowed.

But I encouraged my son to become a blood donor when he was old enough, he has now given for about 15 years.

Same with the organ transfer etc; they can have all my bits - not much good to me when I`m gone! That`s if there any good by that time.

I don`t plan on going in the next 20 years - I hope!

Love Kat x

Awwe bless, more than 20 years though, you have that silver wedding anniversary to get to yet!

I hope to be able to give, I think it will be a year after surgery, but then wonder if I will be short of this or that. I don't think my iron is great now, and I wonder if your reserves of other things are lower after surgery.

I was wondering if anyone did give blood how long it took to recover? I would guess it is longer than the 16 weeks it takes 'normal' people to build their reserves again. All the medication I am on, (but may loose most after surgery I hope) is on the allowed list as long as you are stable, which is what is disallowing me at the moment.

Oh I wish I had done it years ago then at least I would have done my bit.

I was a blood donor for years, but once we started holidaying in exotic locations they didn't want my blood !

I gave blood regularly before I became diabetic. Hopefully the bypass will resolve the diabetes and I may be able to give blood again in the future. I also am on thyroxine but thyroid has been stable for ages so could give whilst on that medication alone; but not once the diabetes was discovered.

Maybe I will ask when I get an appointment to go up to Taunton. Or if I have to wait a long time, and I get stable on meds, I can give one load before they ban me.

Rose, at least you have done your bit and maybe my bit too. But hey I bet you don't mind being to Exotic for them! ;)

Do you know if banders are more likely to suffer with anemia then as well? I know I take my multi vitimin but I have suffered on and off with anemia since being a teen. Good point you have raised.

you shouldn't have any higher chances of suffering from anaemia after banding, you don't have the bypassed section of the small intestine (where the nutrients are absorbed) that the bypassers have.

I posted something similar about my experiences of trying to give blood a while ago, the post link is here >>>>>http://www.wlsurgery.com/wlsurgery/130869-giving-blood.html

it's all a load of tosh, as an update to my little rant in my post i spoke to my surgeon recently about this, and he sees absolutely no problem with me giving blood, whether or not i'm on prescribed calcium and iron, he thinks it's comical that they'll take my blood if i'm self administering my calcium and iron but not via prescription, this will be something i'm going to look at seriously in 2011 with a view to appealing all the way to the top, there's alot of us post oppers who want to give blood, but can't due to barmy rules for so called safety.....pah!!

he thinks it's comical that they'll take my blood if i'm self administering my calcium and iron but not via prescription,

Yes Marky that is mad, you could buy all sorts of things over the counter, or worse from the internet, then go in and give blood. Maybe we should start a band wagon - I jump on if you are the driver (women drivers and all that !!! Only kidding!) Off to read your link now... Trisha

I am O neg too, so we are needed.

The blood donor system is seriously flawed in my opinion, they still will not allow homosexual men to donate regardless of their sexual history, marital status etc as they consider them to be too high risk for blood born diseases! Disgusting.

I checked with the National Blood Service who said I could give blood as long as I didn't need a blood transfusion during the surgery. Apparently once you have received a transfusion you can no longer give blood.

As long as your bloods are OK you can give blood.

Back