• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Going on holiday during puree stage....

fuze

Hey guys I need a bit of help. I am going to Skegness for a few days next week (this is the last change ill get for a break before I start back at med school and I reallllyyyyy need a break) and I will be about 4 days into the puree stage of my post bypass diet. The only place we can get to stay is a B+B, I would have preferred self catering as that would have been so much easier. But anyway im really worried about what I am going to eat. I am going to take some protein shots so I dont miss out on the protein but I would like to know if any of you have any suggestions for what I can take with me and any suggestions for things if im out and about. I know that may sound like a sill idea going away but I really need to get away but now im really worried........ I am going to take some extra light cream cheese in a cooler bag and for the journey some blended soup.

Thanks guys for any help!!!

Im not post op but how about freezing some pureed food in an ice tray and taking that, It might thaw out a bit on the way but it should still stay frozen for a good few hours. It will also keep your cooler bag cooler ;)

also I have found those soup pouch bags are awesome. If you have a hand blender you can take you could put some food in them and whizz it when you need it ?

Sorry if these are useless but as I said im not post op yet lol

Enjoy your holiday though :D

They are great ideas but I wont have access to places I can warm things up. I was more thinking about suggestions that I can buy while im there and out and about. As I said I would prefer to have stayed in self catering but i will just be in a normal hotel.

That is a difficult one. Sounds like you have some good ideas already. I guess I would buy slimfast shakes as well whilst out and about. I hope that you can get some more good ideas from others here. I'm sure you'll be fine x

Try phoning the B&B and explain the situation they may be willing to help you

I hope you have a nice time away

ah right fair enough lol :p
Welllll have a jolly holly :D:cool:

I have spoken to the hotel and they cant accommodate my kind of diet restriction so i need to find a way to do it on my own...... anyone please!!!!

Hi Fuze, Sorry to hear about your dilemma. I haven't had my bypass yet, but the idea of freezing portions in ice cubes or small containers is a good one. When I had my children I used to puree and freeze their food when we were going away. Most places were willing to warm it up for me. Or if the worst came to the worst place the container in a bowl with hot water.
How many days are you away for? I know it is not ideal or have the right nutrients, but would you be able to have pureed baby food as a one off? Could your doctor prescribe some of the shakes like complan and other food substitutes for the days you are away? If the worse comes to the worse and there is an ikea nr, they have microwaves for personal use. I also used to mash up bananas and advocados with some milk or H20. I don't know if any of this is useful? Your doctor or wls team may have some ideas.

Rebirth

Hi ya Fuze. Hope you are well.

How about taking your own stick blender & bowl; a few small tins of tuna, salmon, peaches; some light mayo and while there buying some shrimp to create protein based purees in your room. Or take stage one baby food jars. I'm sure when you are there, they might give access to a microwave at least.

The other day out shopping, I saw a mini blender by Lindam intended for pureeing baby food at a cost of £14. While in the baby isle, I picked up a pack of four plastic food storage jars (about the size of a small yoghurt pot) with a lid. You could puree a few different things and carry with you in your cooler bag for when out and about. You could have a shrimp puree in one; pureed apple in another; tuna mayo etc.

I've got similar concerns as I will be going back to work on Monday so will need to get sorted for food too. Will be on the look out for simple recipes that can actually be created in a BB room ;).

Gosh this is such a random reply I hope you find something useful in it.

I quite often take a small blender with me when out and have found most cafe's restaraunts etc are more than happy to blend my food for me, and quite often I will pinch stuff off hubbies plate, add gravy and mash like hell with a fork.

You can also take some grated cheese and powdered smash, they will provide hot water.

If you get stuck how about buying made up jelly, yoghurt,custard , sago things like that while you are there. You can get them in little cartons, ambrosia and birds eye do them.
Also how about some back up shakes, like slim fast.
The hotel should have things like mashed potato and soup.
If not maybe they will heat some for you if you buy it out.

Hope you have a lovely break and that the food thing doesnt spoil your break.

Jay xx

you could get some baby food jars of cold stuff that can be eaten straight from that or even warmed in hot water

petit filous
smoothies
order soup everywhere you go
cup a soups
bovril
ovaltine

i have not had an op so am unsure

can I ask you off topic about your bypass though as I see you had it at Hope with Mr Ammori, I was there yesterday and have only been offered the bypass not teh band liek I wanted can you tell me about your bypass op i.e. how long in hospital feeling etc.. hope you dont mind xx helen

you could get some baby food jars of cold stuff that can be eaten straight from that or even warmed in hot water

petit filous
smoothies
order soup everywhere you go
cup a soups
bovril
ovaltine

i have not had an op so am unsure

can I ask you off topic about your bypass though as I see you had it at Hope with Mr Ammori, I was there yesterday and have only been offered the bypass not teh band liek I wanted can you tell me about your bypass op i.e. how long in hospital feeling etc.. hope you dont mind xx helen

I have sent you a private message. It is a long one so beware!! hehe

Fuze, how was your time away? Did you find people were happy to puree your food or did you take your own meals?

Rebirth

Back