• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Got Letter From Hospital

Snowcrystal

I got letter today from the hospital with an appointment on the 24th June for a group meeting (15 - 20 others?) lasting approximately 1 hour with a bariatric nurse and then the surgeon himself giving a talk about the operation.:eek:

The letter states that if I want to proceed I will be given an appointment with the surgeon or one of his team.

There is no time frame stated in the letter to say how long after this meeting I will get to see the surgeon.

Ohhhh the wheels of the NHS turn so slow...But I am such an impatient person.

Do any of you know what happens next?...At what point will the 18 week rule apply?

The hospital I have been referred to is Kings College Hospital which falls under Southwark PCT. Southwark follow the NICE guidelines.

Any help advice would be appreciated...

Glad to hear the process is starting for you. I don't know how long it will take or any useful info as I had to have mine done privately. I can sympathise with your lack of patience though! x

in my area its 1 year from the group meeting to the actual op, it differs with areas and the waiting list lengths.

Thank you Jenni.

I know all the different areas throughout the country can be very different...But hopefully someone will have got theirs done through the same trust and can shed some light on it.

I can't wait to just get there!...I know it sounds like I just want it done and dusted...but the truth is every time I step closer I do actually question myself as to whether I really want to go through with this.

I think questioning this is a healthy thing as I would hate to go blindly through it all and be regretful. I am starting to realise something big time though........It's no longer a vanity thing...it's just a health thing for me now...I long to feel healthy again.......I really do!

Hope you are ok.

~hugs~

hello i had my group meeting today at charing cross ,they said i should get a letter in 6 to 8 weeks asking me to come back to see them for a one to one assesment .. then 6 to 8 weeks to see the surgeon ,if all is well about 12 weeks

hello i had my group meeting today at charing cross ,they said i should get a letter in 6 to 8 weeks asking me to come back to see them for a one to one assesment .. then 6 to 8 weeks to see the surgeon ,if all is well about 12 weeks

Hi Kaycee

Thank you for replying...

Who will you get your one to one with?

Did they say how long it will be after seeing the surgeon that you will get your op?

How did your meeting go today?

~hugs~

Is that how long you had to wait Liz?

What is this 18 week rule?...Do you know anything about it?

~hugs~

i was done 4 years ago, the wait was 6-9 months back then but since wls demand has risen alot the wait here is now 12 months, im not sure about the 18 week rule but i dont think it applies with wls as its a elective proceedure.

hello i am under ealing pct . no not how long but lady at meeting who has had op at charring cross said from this appointment to op it only took her 5 months so not to long i hope .. keep you posted

I wonder if we will be told about the time frame at this meeting?

~hugs~

if its not mentioned then put your hand up and ask, they will have to answer your query.;)

hello i am under ealing pct . no not how long but lady at meeting who has had op at charring cross said from this appointment to op it only took her 5 months so not to long i hope .. keep you posted

Yes please do keep me posted...

At your meeting were you encouraged to ask questions?

It sounds so like the same set up from when I was going to have my bypass privately...A group meeting, lots of others pre-op ...and lots of other post-op, a bariatric nurse and then the surgeon appointment soon after....however this was all done very quick.

~X~

at the group meeting you are going to there should be a point when somebody who has had the op comes in to speek to the group about his/her wls exprence such as problems they had and for you to ask them about it and all of the pros and cons [ like how long did it take ] right down the things that you want to ask ..before u go as they give u so much info on the day i left thinking i should of asked more questions ..

me and bypass.sarah have done a couple of the group meetings where we are there for Q&A'S from the patients perspective. new patients at the group meetings ask any questions as thats what the group meetings is for and it helps alot of new patients and puts there minds at rest about alot of concerns they may have regarding each operation. its a very usefull thing.

liz x

snow congrats on your group meeting date, hopefully things will progress fast for you from this point

:) Hi snowcrystal, just wanted to say hello and to say i am just like you - my hubby calls it "incredibly impatient", i know he is write. I am at my group meeting on Monday, and as you can imagine it cant come soon enough!! I too was told that all being well i will be told a date for my surgery on Monday. The lady at fylde coast hospital also told me that they do apply the 18 week rule (i dont know if it is different throughout the country), and the 18 weeks start from the day the referral landed on her desk (for me that was 2 weeks ago). Other than that i don't know anything else, but i have a list of questions for Monday. It wont be long before you have your group meeting, so fingers crossed you op will be sooner rather than later. Sorry for waffling!!xx

hi i dont want to depress but journey so far is went to see gp may 08 funding approved june 08.
Saw consultant jan 09 went yetsreday to see anaestist and waiting for phonecall with date so been waiting a year so far but St richards is one of the longest waiting times i think.
good luck with your journey.

julie xx

Back