• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Pre-Op Diet

LindaC

My pre-op diet seems so harsh compared to some other people's and I'm finding it so hard as well as feeling that it's so unfair that other people get to eat some carbs and I'm allowed none at all. I've only been on it 2 days and beginning to feel ill. I feel nauseous and dizzy and so tired. I'm losing my appetite altogether. I'd rather eat nothing than more green veg and green salad. Just one portion of fish or chicken a day - baked or grilled. 3 apples or pears. Stock, Bovril, s/f squash and s/f jelly. Doesn't seem enough to sustain anyone. Has anyone else been put on such a strict diet, particularly by Mr El-Hasani?

It isn't fair or unfair - it simply is. This is what your surgeon wants you to follow, and it is what you need to do in order to achieve your goal! :)

I'm on a strict diet, but I do get carbs - although I find I am allotted more than I actually eat most days (I get 3 portions, but I usually only have one or two). I found the first three days were tough in regards to how my body felt. On day three, I had a terrible headache and my brain felt fuzzy. Day four, all of that changed. Essentially, you're sending your body into ketosis, and once you're there it does get better and easier.

Remember, it is only for a few days that you need to do this - take each day as it comes, try not to think of the next.

Your diet sounds nicer than my pre op which was liquids only! I know it might seem "unfair" but as Shell says it's not, it just is what it is and you need to remember your surgeon is obliged to do best by you for the best outcome and you need to accept this and work with it.

The pre op diet is easy compared to the major changes you need to embrace post op and is a great opportunity to start accepting that food is for fuel not for comfort, not for emotional support, not for entertainment etc let's be honest, if we all were ok with our pre op relationships with food we wouldn't be morbidly obese and having weightloss surgery!

Embrace it, take one day at a time and research your op, your post op diet etc and get prepared for the biggest, most exciting and challenging change of your life!

Surgery isn't meant to be easy, this isn't an easy option it's bloody hard and the pre op diet is just the beginning. The dizziness etc will pass and you'll get used to it, just take it easy and keep your fluids up.

Best of luck with your journey.
Stacey

Linda the low/no carb diet is hard. I am not on my pre op diet yet but am following a restriction to 30 carbs a day until I start the pre op....I'm dreading being told it's a milk one :-(

Eat the green veg, believe it or not, it is a source of carbs, minimal admittedly. But eating it will make you feel better and give you some energy.

Day 4 or 5 will see you feeling much better and your weight loss during this period will be amazing.

This low carb eating is what I do to drop weight quickly, or has been in the past, but it is brutal! And the longest I have been able to stick to it is 5 weeks

But.......it's not as brutal as what we are about to experience after the op, albeit that we will have the support of the band.

Chin up honey xxxx you can do this.

Check me giving out this advice lol.....I don't know how I will cope if I'm put on the milk diet yuk yuk....but we all really want this....so we will all find a way to get through

(((((Huggs)))))

Back