• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

GP referred for WLS - What next?

Rising_Sun

Chugging along
Hi all. New to this section of the board. Been to see GP today for WLS referral. I tick every box on NICE guidelines. GP has referred to 'surgeons at the hospital'. The whole GP meet lasted barely 5 minutes and I'm left feeling a bit blank. Would be interested to know how long roughly I am waiting from here on. I would be most grateful to hear from anyone falling under the Penine Acute Trust (Manchester) in terms of speed of funding. I know I am at the very begining and that I have yet to clear the first real hurdle of being cleared for surgery.

Hi Plus, welcome to WLS :)

If your GP has referred you to the surgeon, then you should receive an appointment within a reasonable time. Every PCT is different, but the surgeon will most likely make a decision as to whether surgery is right for you, help you decide which type of surgery, and then write either to your GP to tell him to apply for funding, or direct to the PCT to apply for funding directly. Then it gets really varied, they may refer you for a psyche evaluation, endocrinologist, sleep apnoea assessment, etc.

How long it all takes is so wildly different from PCT to PCT, in some areas it can go from GP to operating table in less than 3 months, in some longer than 2 years! For most, it seems to be between 6 months and 1 year if you fit all the criteria.

It can be a rollercoaster of a journey, but it's worth it in the end!

Hi Plus, i approached my GP at xmas last year. my funding was approved by the end of Feb and i had my initial consultation in April. my bypass was done on the 22nd May by Mr Ammori at manchester Royal infirmary. all in all the process was quicker than i expected but i do know from other threads on here that others have had long drawn out experiences and fights for funding.

What weight loss surgery are you hoping for??

good luck and hope you hear something soon. keep me posted x

Hi Shel and Tammy. Thanks for your quick replies.

I am hoping for a gastric bypass. Can't afford to go private (thanks to the credit crunch). I have tried most avenues of losing weight with partial and short lived results. I regret not approaching my GP earlier because this has been on my mind for a long time. I need a long term solution to my weight problem. Here's hoping and praying it's not a long drawn out process.

xxx

will keep everything crossed for you. can honestly say it was the best decision i ever made and mine was done NHS. keep me posted x

Hi plus and welcome to minis. I am waiting for a decision from the PCT for funding and should hear this week. It has taken me exactly 18 weeks, although I have to say it has felt much longer lol....good luck and keep us all posted, we look forward to following your progress and minis is a great site....xx

I applied for funding on 4th April this year via my GP, I had my surgery on October 14th just gone.

I had to see a dietician, an endocrinologist, a psychiatrist and a diabetician.

I had the lap band, I did not want the bypass as I did not want to change the anatomy of my body, wanted a quicker recovery time and not to lose valuable nutrition.

My surgeon does both but champions the band.

All I can say is do plenty of research on all methods...

And godd luck, its great to take the choice in your own hands and make it.

Back