• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hair loss?

jillyiant

I have been reading a lot on here about hair loss can I ask which of you suffered and was it very bad, did it take too long to recover. Mines very fine so a bit worried.

I've not had the op yet, but recently met a lovely woman and her husband who both at the op - neither had hair loss. She feels that it was down to her taking supplements from the day she decided to have WLS and in her own words "Continued to take them religiously from then to now" (she's over 2 years post op.

I'm hoping for the best, so it can't hurt to try it her way.

jillyiant said:
I have been reading a lot on here about hair loss can I ask which of you suffered and was it very bad, did it take too long to recover. Mines very fine so a bit worried.

Like you my hair is very fine,so I was really worried about hairloss.
I have tryed perfectil/for hair and nails.
Also alepcin(hair lotion)...and zinc and selenium from my doctor.
And ill be honest and say they didn't really help.
I suppose it just made me feel better knowing I was trying to help prevent hairloss.
When really they didn't do a thing,save your money and keep up protein levels.
And as you have fine hair have you tryed a tangle teezer?

jillyiant said:
Did you loose some of your hair then, not sure what a tangle teezer is?

Honestly...I won't lie,days I cried as it was coming out when I brushed.
It wasn't a huge amount but enough to upset me.
But I kept protein up with foods and protein shakes.
The tangle teezer is a brush you can buy from boots and use it to prevent stretching your hair when brushing.
I found it helped a lot!
You just have to ride it out x
Hope I've helped x

ive not had the op but as ive gained weight ive noticed mine is thinning, so god help me when i do have op then, ill be bald within 6months if its a side effect thingi xxxx

Mine started a few weeks post surgery & is still coming out 11mths on although less than it was since I was given a high dose zinc tablet with my multi vitamins. But even at its heaviest it was never as bad as the post delivery loss after each of my 3 boys. It looks & emotionally feels dramatic it's really not as bad as it feels & it does still keep growing.

i had my surgery a year ago tomorrow and mine did thin alot, but this last 2 month it has started to grow back really well,,
try not to worry it will get better xxxxxxxxxx

Unfortunately hair loss is a side effect for about 70% of wls patients. and patients who have had major surgery.
I had hair loss for a while after bowel surgery a few years back... it lasted about 4 months. im now 6 months post op and have been losing hair for about 2 months. not much...but its comes out easy when i wash it which now is every 3 days x
It will pass, just a case of being patient xx its a small price to pay for being a lot slimmer and healthier and having a longer life xx

I'm dreading it :( lol x

from me phone :D

3 month post op & mine is falling out despite taking vits, minerals including iron & zinc. Also scalp starting to feel very itchy. I had sleeve but my pal had bypass same time as me & she is also suffering same.
Have struggled with my protein but she hasn't. We are worried but trying to ride it out. Eeeeeek!

Don't panic, its frightening when it starts which can be from very early on. I started at 3 months and lost for about 6 months. I had lovely thick hair and by the end it was very thin. I took selenium and zinc which didn't stop it but my hair became very glossy. I still take them. Its all back now and as thick as ever. I've only read about one lady who had such severe losses she wore a wig but in the main its just thinning. I have always focused on high protein but that didn't seem to help me with hair loss.

Don't worry you will come through, its just a shock while its happening.

M

I had my operation in January and for the last few weeks my hair has been coming out quite a bit. It is noticeable to me more than to anyone else at present - but I think because my hair is fairly long and dark it looks a lot worse in the brush or bath than shorter or fairer hair might.

I know from having lost a lot of weight on a liquid only VLCD a few years back that my hair came out but grew back gorgeous (but very curly!)

You might lose some hair along with the weight, but the hair will be back and the weight will be history x dont worry until you need to :)

OMG came out in handfuls this morning when I washed my hair. Found it quite upsetting to be honest as always had lovely hair thankfully. Yes it is a small price to pay given my weight loss & pain free mobility now. Thinking I might end up having it cut shorter. A trip to my hairdresser me thinks.
Thx guys for advise & sympathy. Well appreciated.

Mine has thinned quite a bit but it does take a lot of punishment as i swim 4 times a week, hope it grows back soon as it looks bad when wet :(

Oh no I swim a lot, hadn't thought of that. I do wear a speedo swim cap. Not that I'll be doing much in next few weeks. Broke my fingers in a bad fall in hospital car park last week.

I have to say!! for me being in the stage of just coming up to the bypass!! The more I research all the awful side effects and long term stuff I am getting really scared about the actual surgery, I keep telling myself that I can do this without surgery!! and yet deep down I know I cant because I have battled with my weight for years gone by.. I am so scared though to lose my hair and also for all the other vitamin problems like osteoporosis and everything else from the malabsorption... In the old end I suppose I have to weigh off all of this against staying overweight, adn I so dont want to be overweight anymore!! so am going to have to go with the bypass route

Back