• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has anyone tried Jogging?

MazBot

Hi Guys, I'm back again with my questions :)
Now I'm 5 kilos lighter I'm already feeling like I could take on the world and really fancy jogging.
Lots of years ago when I was 8 stone lighter I used to jog and loved it, but since being so overweight wasn't so sure how I cope.
AND!!!! Where will I get a "Super-large!" sports bra??:eek::eek::eek:
Anyone got any advice please?
Thanks x

I would def start slow and build up.Have you managed decent walks first.Maz x

I could walk for England, but I just feel I need to step it up now but I've never jogged at this weight.

Thats one of my wishes wanna jog along the sea front here. Joined a gym yesterday to get me on that road. She did say the best way is walk for a min or two then jog for the same then back to walking, then just build up your time

I started running after Christmas....I'd always fancied it too and although it's hard to begin with, I love it! Firstly, buy a decent non-underwired sports bra....M&S do a great range of high impact bras that you can try on to get a really comfortable one. Next, get yourself fitted for proper running shoes, do not try running in just normal trainers, as you will have inadequate support & could injure yourself. Google your area and I'm sure there will be somewhere local to you where you can go for a fitting...plus they don't cost any more than a good pair of trainers either. The next step is to take it slow....start off with just speed walking, then add in short runs (about 100 m) in-between walks and build up slowly, so over time (weeks), you will slowly increase the distance you run vs the distance you walk. If you just start running you will hurt yourself & that'll be the end of it. Again, Google 'how to start running', there are lots of great sites packed with useful tips to get you going. I can now run for 25 mins at a time, compared to just a couple of minutes at a time when I first started...may not sound like much but being as unfit as I was, I think I have made great progress. As Mixxy says, running/jogging certainly gives your joints a hammering, so you could mix up runs with visits to the gym, where you could do some training on the treadmill, which is much kinder to your joints...perhaps even consider investing in one? I was lucky enough to get a great second hand one from a friend & I use it at least 5 times a week now, it's been invaluable. On the plus side of running though, is because it is high impact, it helps increase bone density...women who have had a bypass are at a much greater risk of osteoporosis, so running is great to countact bone thinning! Good luck! xx

I find the treadmill at the gym a lot easier on the joints and I can pace myself doing walk, jog, run reps.

M&S do a pretty good high-imact bra at around £18 but check Ebay first.

I've done it on the treadmill and managed 10 minutes, did it round the park and managed 2 minutes lol, but all i've ever really wanted to do was run... Dont get me wrong the smaller sizes are good, but i just wanna be able to run without looking stupid, odd or just plain wobbly....

Good luck xx

I've just ordered a pack of 2 mahooosive sports bras from Marisota. About 20 quid for the two. They have single ones but they are much dearer(and posher of course). Simply Be had them as well I think.
I need them for Zumba which I'm starting next week.
At our local sports centre they do a Start Running group ( it's free I think) where they show you how to run properly and safely. Have a look to see if yyours does anything. I'm sure running in a group would be a great incentive, safer and pretty sociable too.
I'm way to fat to run!

Running is not for me I'm afraid as my knees are goosed from too many years kneeling on garage floors as a mechanic, heavy squatting when I lifted heavy weights, and of course being the size and weight of a baby blue whale for 15 years didn't help. :eek:

I ran 5km on a treadmill and though the heart and lungs were fine, the knees were screaming by that point and I couldn't walk for three days :D:cry:

I even spent an hour on an elliptical trainer three times a couple of weeks ago as they are supposed to be easy on the knees, but it has flared my knee pain to the point I'm struggling to ride the spin bike and sleep so I'm sacking that too

I guess its cycling for me for cardio from now on

Hi guys
Thanks for all the advice. Miss Tickle, I will def look at that site for sports bras. However, I have a little update.... I dusted off the exercise bike from the garage and started on that, but unfortunately today I fell over and twisted my ankle and it's somewhat swollen and bruised!!

Back