• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Having problems

Hi Alia

I had a 'vertical banded gastroplasty' over 12 years ago - basically stomach stapling. Had problems after about a year when outlet from pouch started to block with scar tissue. 3 attempts to stretch opening didn't really work - lost to follow up and guess what? I ate what would go down and put loads of weight back on. Had got down to 16 st and now back up to 22. Pouch has stretched to 3-4 times size it should be as food backs up with no where to go and finally has forced a way out through staple line. So basically my insides are in a mess. Mr Dexter said only thing he can do is reduce size of pouch, tighten up valve at top of pouch (which has also stretched through lots of sickness) and convert to a bypass. Hopes to do it keyhole but can't promise as I've had lots of surgery with the associated scar tissue build up. Presume things are rapidly getting worse down there (Suffered with really bad reflux and gastritis for 2-3 years) which I suppose has weakened the little blood vessels down there?!?!?

So it's a complicated story and I'm fed up with it all now, just want to get things sorted.

Thanks for asking

thats exactly the same as what I had and I've had similar problems to you. I had mine converted to a bypass but was done with open surgery, could n't have done it key hole as there was too much scar tissue and too much of a mess in there. Hopefully all your problems will be sorted when you have your revision

Lynda hope you feel better soon and have no more bleeds, they are very scary. I am glad you are being looked after, but if the bleeds start again I would go straight to A&E as you cannot take a chance hanging around with this sort of problem.
Hope you get word about your op soon

Jay xx

Up-date

Just had feedback from the waiting list lady that if I don't get any 'prioritising' by consultant I will be waiting till November at earliest but will definitely be done before end of the year. What happened to the 18 week wait I ask? The 18 week wait for me is officially up in mid October. Obviously as this op is in the main classified as non-urgent surgery they can ignore the statistics and do the best they can I suppose. Just worried that if I try to eat 'healthy' food (fruit & veg etc) this recent problem will flare up again. Oh well I'll have to live on liquids and mush til Xmas if nothing happens to speed up my wait.

At least I can start next year on the losers bench.

Lyn

Back