• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Helllooooo from Cornwall

Hello Lucy East! When did you have yours done? My friend (who went private through the Duchy at Truro) went to Taunton, but because of complications had it done in the NHS hospital rather than the private one across the road. She had her own room though or something like that.

I was wondering Kat what size shoe you take? I don't find too many under five footers to ask. I have quite big feet at a 5 1/2 - 6. So will never be ultra tiny.

Last edited:
Hiya! Had mine done on the 15th!! Feel very much recuperated and on to the soft foods! The private hospital wasn't anything special so ur friend probably didn't miss out!! Good luck with everything and keep us updated :) x

Hi Trisha from one Cornwall gal to another!

I had my bypass done at Taunton 3 months ago; I had to wait about 15 months from initial referral from my GP to actually get my op done. Yes, there was a blip in the middle as Dr Pinkney left (he's now doing research up in Plymouth where I am) and the last I heard, all cases got pushed onto the remaining consultant Dr Brown. At the time of my having my op, they still hadn't replaced Dr Pinkney so the unit is running desperately behind, Have you spoken to Izzie? She is the bariartic co-ordinator at Taunton, but she only works Tues & Thursdays...I left so many messages when I was chasing things up but no-one ever got back to me, until I finally got hold of her & had a good chat to find out what was going on. She is lovely, I'm sure she would be able to sort things out for you. Feel free to add me as a frind & PM me, I can send you her e-mial address & phone-number if you need it, or want to chat about anything xxxx

Hi Sparkly Angie

Wow well done with your weight loss since only October - that is really great.

It was such a shame when Dr Pinkney left, I liked him, and for me that is a major feet, as I am not good with people (unless hiding behind a keyboard) I was told Dr Creeley had taken over, and it has been him I have had a couple of letters from. I have only spoken to the secretaries at Treliske, and yes they never called back after messages were left, you had to actually catch them on the phone to get anything done.

I haven't spoken to anyone at Taunton, my letter referring me to the surgical team was only dated 17th Dec, so they might not have even heard of me until the New Year. I don't want to see too push but then I don't want to anything to lag like it did with Dr Pinkneys leaving.

How long after you got the letter saying funding was agreed did you actually have your op? I don't think I can PM at the moment being a newbie, but yes your first hand experience would be great.

Thanks again Trisha

Hi Sparkly Angie

Wow well done with your weight loss since only October - that is really great.

It was such a shame when Dr Pinkney left, I liked him, and for me that is a major feet, as I am not good with people (unless hiding behind a keyboard) I was told Dr Creeley had taken over, and it has been him I have had a couple of letters from. I have only spoken to the secretaries at Treliske, and yes they never called back after messages were left, you had to actually catch them on the phone to get anything done.

I haven't spoken to anyone at Taunton, my letter referring me to the surgical team was only dated 17th Dec, so they might not have even heard of me until the New Year. I don't want to see too push but then I don't want to anything to lag like it did with Dr Pinkneys leaving.

How long after you got the letter saying funding was agreed did you actually have your op? I don't think I can PM at the moment being a newbie, but yes your first hand experience would be great.

Thanks again Trisha

I'm such an idiot, I've just re-read my post & realised I put that Izzie was at Taunton, but I meant to say Treliske, doh, sorry! Anyway, Izzie phoned me to say I had funding at the end of May & I was on the phone straight away to Taunton checking that they had received the paperwork, which took about 2 weeks for them to finally get it. Then I got put on the actual waiting list for the op. I was told the waiting list was running at 18 wks, but I only ended up waiting 10 weeks...would have been 8 wks but they cancelled my first date & pushed me back 2 weeks.

Hello Lucy East! When did you have yours done? My friend (who went private through the Duchy at Truro) went to Taunton, but because of complications had it done in the NHS hospital rather than the private one across the road. She had her own room though or something like that.

I was wondering Kat what size shoe you take? I don't find too many under five footers to ask. I have quite big feet at a 5 1/2 - 6. So will never be ultra tiny.

I take size 5 now - but when I was teens and twenties used to take 3+half.
Since weight started to go on steadily it climbed. Guess its just as well - would probably fall over all the time with littler feet! :8855:

Happy New Year babe x

Take care hun x

Love Kat x

I take size 5 now - but when I was teens and twenties used to take 3+half.
Since weight started to go on steadily it climbed. Guess its just as well - would probably fall over all the time with littler feet!
Thanks Kat, I have always been a 5 1/2 6 so never put weight on my feet!! LOL Just interesting to know. A lot of my taller friends had small feet and complained they could never find nice shoes to fit.

Angie, thanks for the friend request, I wouldn't have found my way around that one for ages. Thanks also for the timings. If I think in my mind 'by June' then anything before that is a bonus. More likely to be April or May on your timings. We were planning a UK holiday in June for our 25th Wedding Anniversary, but maybe better not book anything till the last minute.

Happy New Year to one and all.
xx Trisha :thankyou:

Hi Trisha
I am from Penzance :)))
Well it took me four years and two refusals before I finally got funding lol. I reckon you will be having your op at Treliske, as I know a few people that have had bypasses there recently. I had mine done at Taunton.
There is lots of information etc I can give you. I attend a Bospa support group and we meet every month at Shortlanesend, near Truro, you must come along as it is so helpful. You can meet other people who are waiting, and others like me that have had the op, band or bypass.
I will pm you my telephone numbers and email address, and maybe we can meet up soon for a chat and coffee. Buryan isn't that far away lol.
Take care, speak soon
Jan xxx

Hello Jan. that is the name of my friend in the village who had a bypass. You have added to my tally of Jan's being three now!

Thanks for making contact. I am wow'd that they have started doing bypasses at Treliske, that would be AMAZING. Fingers legs and everything else crossed.

I haven't made it to Bospa, Throughout last year my depression was really bad even with tablets, and at the best of times, I can't face meeting people. I have been a bit better lately and been out a bit more, but even I have noticed I am wringing my hands or fiddling with something - so there is still angst inside.

I would like to meet up, I can steal my mums car and come into PZ somewhere. I would love to hear your story, of why they turned you down, but at least you fought your corner and got there in the end, it was a long process though. You look younger than me, I wish I had gone through this process years ago, but at least you are on a new road and nearly at your 1/2 sergiversay and doing so well. Thanks again. Regards Trisha

i see that this is an old post, im from Penzance and iv been told today in my first appointment at the diabetic centre in trelisk, that i qualify for weight loss surgery and im excited. wondering what to expect and if anyone can let me know? thanks

Welcome to the forum. Everyone here is so friendly & supportive.
I've just had my sleeve op on Saturday & came home yesterday. No pain & recovering well.
What are you having done & when?

Hello Miss Pink Panther, welcome to the forum. I have been a bit busy and away from it for a while, so missed your post. I hope your appointment went well, and you are a little better informed now.

I had my bypass in Treliske 7 months ago tomorrow, and it was the best thing ever to happen. I walked from Redruth station to Longreach hospital and back today, so up and down hills, and I can tell, you I was hardly out of breath, even though I had left it tight for catching my train home, and had to push it. 7 months ago, I wouldn't have even considered walking for an hour up (2 x half hours) and down hills, in fact I would have been sat at home not going out.

I hope you have a smooth journey to getting your operation. What are you hoping to have. I started thinking a band but am glad now I had the bypass. I have lost 6 1/2 stone, and am waiting to break the 11 stone barrier. This morning I was 11.05 - I just so want to get to 10.13 something! I never dreamed I would be this size, I am still obese I think (reminds me to update tracker) as I am only short, but I still am so happy to be this size and anything else is a bonus.

Are you diabetic? I stopped taking metformin straight after the op, and also stopped the high blood pressure tablets. I have been in hospital for another reason, and had my blood pressure taken weekly, and it was always good around say 116 over 70 something. Do you have any other problems that will help with getting funding.

Anyhow I will shut up now, but try to come on more often to see if you are here.

Ps I hope you are still feeling fine miss belly dancer. A week today eh? I hope you are doing well, and managing to eat OK all be it sloppies!

Trisha

Hi guys
A week after my sleeve op & amazingly still feeling good. Apart from my shrinking size I am already seeing great results with my back problem. I can now walk up & downstairs in a normal fashion which I haven't done for over 2 years. Yippeeeeee!
Struggling with getting 2 litres of fluid in me daily, feel like I'm drowning in water! Small price to pay as I feel so positive about what I've done. I too started with the view of having a band but through professional advice & lots of research I finally decided the sleeve was the best option. Low maintanance & permanent solution to me. One has to make that decision on a personal basis.
Well done Penguina what a star.
Miss Pink Panther - wish you all the luck. I've met lots of people through my 'journey' here & in the real world all having had or having WLS. Everyone is so supportive. We are one big fab community.
K xxx

Back