• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello everyone (rather nervous, any help welcome)

LornaLou

My name is Lorna and I am about to begin my journey.

I spoke to my doctor at the very end of December about wls, she was supportive but wanted to do her home work so asked me back a month later. In the mean time she put me on orlistat (been there before) and gave me something for my dreadful acid reflux.

When I went to see her she agreed to refer me and a week later my details had been passed to Lewisham hospital and I received a call from the Greenwich borough booking in service to let me know. Before I finished the call the lady asked if I wanted to go anywhere else or was ok with Lewisham (I believe they have to do this now). I asked to be referred to St Thomas and this she did.

On Thurs last week I had a call to book me in for the 12/03/14.....I was not expecting it so soon. The letter arrived on Friday confirming my appointment with Dr Oben and also stated that if I was put forward for wls they would do a pre op then and there. Is this normal??

I am hoping to get the go ahead and then the funding battle begins.

I am really looking for any help, guidance, story sharing .....anything at all. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Oh by the way I am requesting the bypass, I need permanent!

Thank you all for sharing your stories, I am very much a lurker / reader but am hoping to be able relax a little and share my experience.

xx

hello Lornalou
have to say wow that was quick from speaking to your gp to getting an appointment!
are you sure its not to meet the team and not a surgery date or maybe im reading this wrong!
if im reading this right you don't have much time for the "milk diet" people do before any wls op
good luck with whatever happens
keep us updated

Aya lorna lou,

I was referred in january by my very supportive gp, i got a letter last week to see a dietician in march. I am very impatient and hate all this waiting malarki!
Its good to talk to somebody thats at the same stage as me
Are you seeing a dietician first?
Sue x

Hi and thank you for the welcome

As far as I am aware this is the first meeting where a decision will be made as the whether I can have surgery or not. I have a fair few co-morbidities. The confusion for me was the letter says if I get the go ahead they will do a pre-op meeting the same day. I am just as confused but will go with the flow but will keep you updated.

Yes Sue it is reassuring seeing and chatting to people at the same level. Have you met with anyone from the hospital.

I am not sure how it all works but I would love it done as soon as possible.

x

No not met with anybody yet, just had blood tests that was requested and first meeting in march, doctor put me on orlistat but i had really bad headaches and itching so she took me off them.
Sounds very promising for you, hope we arent waiting too long, the more i want it done and the more im eating all the wrong foods..... Dont know whats wrong with me x

I just wanted to say hello & welcome :)

My name is Lorna and I am about to begin my journey. I spoke to my doctor at the very end of December about wls, she was supportive but wanted to do her home work so asked me back a month later. In the mean time she put me on orlistat (been there before) and gave me something for my dreadful acid reflux. When I went to see her she agreed to refer me and a week later my details had been passed to Lewisham hospital and I received a call from the Greenwich borough booking in service to let me know. Before I finished the call the lady asked if I wanted to go anywhere else or was ok with Lewisham (I believe they have to do this now). I asked to be referred to St Thomas and this she did. On Thurs last week I had a call to book me in for the 12/03/14.....I was not expecting it so soon. The letter arrived on Friday confirming my appointment with Dr Oben and also stated that if I was put forward for wls they would do a pre op then and there. Is this normal?? I am hoping to get the go ahead and then the funding battle begins. I am really looking for any help, guidance, story sharing .....anything at all. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Oh by the way I am requesting the bypass, I need permanent! Thank you all for sharing your stories, I am very much a lurker / reader but am hoping to be able relax a little and share my experience. xx

Good luck Lorna! That sounds very positive if they are talking about pre-ops. I went private for my bypass (had it one week ago today) so no idea about the referral process. Xx

Hey!

My process has been similar to yours... I'm under St Marys in Paddington, London.

They have told me they have an 18 week process, from first appointment. My GP sent the letter in November, 4th February I had my pre-op and signed the consent forms, now I just wait for a date. :D

Good luck on your journey!! xxx

Wow helen thats quick

Good luck
X

They told me the process will be going nationwide soon. As diet monitoring isnt proven to actually better weightloss after surgery and costs them more monitoring it in the long run xx :)

The only Dietition they make you see is to confirm pre-op diet and diet afterwards.

Once the Psycologist signs you off, good to go! :D

Just popped in to say hi, welcome and good luck Lorna :) x

Thank you every one. Agh now this 18 week thing makes sense as that's what they mentioned on the phone. How wonderful if that is the case xx

Hi there. I had my first appt dec 5 2013 and now scheduled for Monday march 3rd. The liquid diet sucks butt. Been on it for two days now and its getting easier. I have Tricare and the referal got approved in 2 weeks.

Back