• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello, Gastric Bypass next Monday - eeek!

Julia56

Hello all. I have struggled with weight most of my adult life, typical yo-yo dieting, etc. Travelling a lot with my job didn't help either. I now know that I can't do it on my own and see surgery as my only realistic option. I had a catastrophic ankle injury followed by an infection in the bone back in 2008 which has severely impacted my mobility so things just went from bad to terrible.

My GP first referred me April 2014, and I was finally listed March 2015. Unfortunately I developed an infection in the leg which turned into sepsis and a seven week stay in hospital. (April 27 to June 15 so I missed the entire Spring that year). The WLS surgery date came through as July 27th and there was no way I was strong enough or had the will to go back into hospital so soon so came off the list. My OH also wanted me to try without surgery and promised to support me as well. So we went to the leisure centre regularly and he used the gym and I swam but still didn't lose weight, in fact started putting the hospital loss back on again.

GP re-referred me February 2016 and I was listed again in October. TBH I think my head is in a much better place to cope with it now and OH is behind me totally. Now on day 9 of the LSD (milk, sugar free jelly & Bovril) and lost 6kg already. Under Mr Pellen, Castle Hill, Hull.

Aged 60, 1 son, 1 stepdaughter, 4 grandchildren. I want to have a knee again for the grandchildren to sit on and I'd like to be able to get down on the floor to play with them.

I went to one support group back in 2014 but decided it just wasn't my thing so I'm hoping you lot might be my support group.

Hi @Julia56 quick reply as just going to bed.... Welcome to the forum and good luck with the LRD - why are you doing the old diet of milk and jelly and not the new one with chicken/fish?

By the way..... I am with Mr Pellen too :) You are in good hands!

The old diet was soup and jelly - ask Beryl! I'm doing the first option because it is simpler and I don't have to cook at all, also the chicken/fish option is an alternative for those who can't manage the milk option so I figure it may be more effective for liver shrinkage. I've found it surprisingly easy although I was craving an egg yesterday.

I'm NHS funded so the advice might be slightly different. I am finding the whole team to be very reassuring and supportive in a realistic way so very happy with them.

Sorry, I should have said "older" version! I think if Beryl had her way everyone would still do the soup and jelly! Thank god the new version came in before I had to do it!

I was NHS referred and was approved for NHS surgery but would have had to wait from end May last year until around April 2017 for surgery so decided to go private.

My understanding was the surgeons preferred the chicken or fish option now as it gives more protein. Qudos to you for doing it though! I would have struggled - the one I did was hard enough!

Do you go to Owls? I went to three meetings I think but haven't been since - I got frustrated!

Not long to go now! Do you go in on Sunday? Make sure you take something with you to have Sunday night and your own mug - apparently the ward don't really have anything for you - bovril and jelly I think people have taken with them.

Wishing you all the best. If you fill a few more personal details in - your op/op date at least, it helps people know how to reply to posts/what advice to give - if you are on a phone if you turn it landscape you will see people's details and signatures. Are you having a bypass?

Yes I went to OWLs once. It's a long way for me and didn't think it was for me. At the end of October when I was listed (again) I was told up to 8 months but said I would take a cancellation. They rang me at the beginning of December to say there was a cancellation for 19th December but I couldn't take that up because I had another surgery on the 22nd but I still got the next available date so I was lucky.

Hello, welcome and good luck!

Hi and welcome x

Back