• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sephem's Hello

Sephem

Hi all,

I have decided that to do this alone is not going to be easy and it is a good idea to maybe join a support forum so that I can get support from others that have gone through the same experiences that I am going and going to be going through.

I never really felt fat till I hit 160kg, and this was the first time I knew I needed help. I had been to the doctors plenty of time and done many different diets, but none of them seemed to work for me. I felt Like a yo-yo.

I was also very active doing Karate twice a week and Gym 3 times a week.

Eventually the doctor told me that he thinks I would be a perfect candidate for WLS and that he believes it would be in my best interest to find out more about it and go down that route.

I had my fist appointment on 11 August 2014 with the Homerton Bariatric Centre where I weight 166.7kg.

On to 10 September I was told I was approved and that I needed to do a 4 week pre-op diet starting 16 September 2014 as they had scheduled my op date for 16 October 2014. At this stage I weighed 163.4kg

The pre-op diet I was on was the Slim-Fast Liver shrinkage diet. It consisted of 5 Slim-Fast a day, 1 cup of broth (Made with a stock cube), and 1.5 L water.

I did cheat, but both times I felt very guilty. The first time was about 3 weeks pre-op when my son walked past me with his plate of fish and chips and I quickly snaked a chip of his plate. The second time was about two weeks pre-op when I ate 5 Pringles crisps.

I did find the pre-op diet to be one of the most difficult things I have ever done, even more so than when I quite smoking. I guess one reason must be that you can live without cigarettes but not food. What got me through it was telling myself that this was the first and most difficult step in the journey to a new me that will be healthier, fitter, thinner, and expect to live longer.

The date for the surgery eventually arrive, and I had lost a total of 11kg weighing in at 155.7kg. I was petrified and was worried I would not wake up once they started the anesthetic.

Needles to say I did and everything went well. I was only in hospital for 2 nights and went home on the 18 October 2014.

Now almost a week out and I am doing well. Not ever felt that full feeling I have read about, but trying to be very careful what I drink at this stage of my recovery.

So far my stats are as follows.

Highest weight = 166.7kg (26st 3.5lbs or 367lbs)
Weight loss from highest = 15.1kg (2st 5lbs or 33lbs)
Weight loss from Op Date = 4.1kg (9lbs)

I am hoping to get a lot of advice and support on these forums, but overtime, also to provide help and support to those who come after me and are going through what I have already been through.

Hi Sephem

And a big welcome to the forum.

We have lots of members who will only be too willing to support you on your journey and others who will appreciate yours xx

Hi Sephem and welcome to the wonderful world of WLsurgery, the support is really fab and I think it has made my journey much easier. there have been loads of tips that I have picked up from this site and people are always ready to offer you a kindly word (or kick up the butt) which ever is needed.

Well done on your surgery, I had a bypass May this year and am doing really well. the feeling of fullness didn't hit me really until I was on solid food, I did however get a bit of a burpy thing going on (and still do actually) when I am full up (just before I feel it in my chest). I think in the early stages before you have healed and restriction really kicks in its vital to look out for your own bodies signs that you are full, and then listen to them and stop eating at that point. good luck on the rest of yr journey and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Hi Stephen, welcome to a great Forum and Congrats on your amazing progress so far!... I look forward to reading how your getting on. I'm 3 1/2 weeks post mini gastric bypass myself and have found lots of help , advice and support here! :)

Hello and welcome steph
congratulations on finding a great site everyone is so friendly and supportive will lots of great advise
keep us updated on your progress

Hi all, I have decided that to do this alone is not going to be easy and it is a good idea to maybe join a support forum so that I can get support from others that have gone through the same experiences that I am going and going to be going through. I never really felt fat till I hit 160kg, and this was the first time I knew I needed help. I had been to the doctors plenty of time and done many different diets, but none of them seemed to work for me. I felt Like a yo-yo. I was also very active doing Karate twice a week and Gym 3 times a week. Eventually the doctor told me that he thinks I would be a perfect candidate for WLS and that he believes it would be in my best interest to find out more about it and go down that route. I had my fist appointment on 11 August 2014 with the Homerton Bariatric Centre where I weight 166.7kg. On to 10 September I was told I was approved and that I needed to do a 4 week pre-op diet starting 16 September 2014 as they had scheduled my op date for 16 October 2014. At this stage I weighed 163.4kg The pre-op diet I was on was the Slim-Fast Liver shrinkage diet. It consisted of 5 Slim-Fast a day, 1 cup of broth (Made with a stock cube), and 1.5 L water. I did cheat, but both times I felt very guilty. The first time was about 3 weeks pre-op when my son walked past me with his plate of fish and chips and I quickly snaked a chip of his plate. The second time was about two weeks pre-op when I ate 5 Pringles crisps. I did find the pre-op diet to be one of the most difficult things I have ever done, even more so than when I quite smoking. I guess one reason must be that you can live without cigarettes but not food. What got me through it was telling myself that this was the first and most difficult step in the journey to a new me that will be healthier, fitter, thinner, and expect to live longer. The date for the surgery eventually arrive, and I had lost a total of 11kg weighing in at 155.7kg. I was petrified and was worried I would not wake up once they started the anesthetic. Needles to say I did and everything went well. I was only in hospital for 2 nights and went home on the 18 October 2014. Now almost a week out and I am doing well. Not ever felt that full feeling I have read about, but trying to be very careful what I drink at this stage of my recovery. So far my stats are as follows. Highest weight = 166.7kg (26st 3.5lbs or 367lbs) Weight loss from highest = 15.1kg (2st 5lbs or 33lbs) Weight loss from Op Date = 4.1kg (9lbs) I am hoping to get a lot of advice and support on these forums, but overtime, also to provide help and support to those who come after me and are going through what I have already been through.
Wow that was quick from first appointment to surgery I'm also at Homerton waiting for my first appointment I'm just hoping the consultant agrees to give me the op as my bmi is 43. Well done and good luck with your weight loss x x

Yeah I was expecting 6 months for a decision, so it came as a huge surprise and took me a few weeks to decide if I was ready or not as I thought I would have time to wrap my mind around it.

Yeah I was expecting 6 months for a decision, so it came as a huge surprise and took me a few weeks to decide if I was ready or not as I thought I would have time to wrap my mind around it.
Hope I don't have to wait long, what consultant to you see ?

Just wanted to say hi and welcome :)

Hi sephem! You're a lot further on your journey than me, but here to chat and support too :D x

Back