• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello

LeighZ

Received an appointment today for an assessment next week at Spire hospital in the Wirral. Bit of a shock as I still have some reservations about the surgery itself and the lifelong changes afterward.

If anyone has experience at these hospitals i would be grateful to hear....would like to know if they suggest the milk diet or 'the other one' - i cant remember what is involved.... sorry, it's been more than a year since any appts to do with this and i dont remember a lot of the details. Am expecting full bariatric surgery to be suggested so any information would be appreciated.

I'm 54, about 400lb i think - long time since my last appt and havent been weighed since - single parent of 5 for last 10-11 years. Trying to get my life back! On second thoughts my old single life cant be repeated and the old married life is in the toilet where it belongs so shall look forward to a new beginning instead...........

Hi Leigh and welcome. Just thought I would stop by to welcome you but I have no experience with this hospital.

Im sure someone who has will be along soon.

Good luck on your journey x

Hi and welcome. I have no experience with The Spire but have heard good things about them....

Congrats on kissing goodbye to the old life, your new life is going to be fantastic :) xx

Hi and welcome from me too. Good luck with your journey and it is truely fantasic on the other side

Best wishes
Jo
xx

Hi Leigh and welcome :) good luck with the weightloss xx

Thank guys...looking forward to getting on with my life...........will let you know the outcome of the appt

I am going to Spire Wirral in the next couple of weeks just waiting for confirmation this week. I know 2 people who have had a bypass their and both say it was great, lovely staff and aftercare is really good.

Good luck x

I would relly appreciate getting some feed back after your appt mandy. I re-read the letter i received and it isnt an appt with the surgeon..its yet another 'pre' consultation thing.. I tihnk its another group meeting thing, going through all the possible options etc. I'm actually quite pleased as when i initially went to this i was very undecided about the surgery. I will be listening with a different opinion this time. Have you met your surgeon yet? I feel so out of touch, i havent seen a dr in months and feel ive been sitting 'in limbo' for the last year and a half....... OMGosh..ok moan over....

I am coming from the NHS route, how about you?
I'm sure you have 2 appts at the hospital before surgery. This first one is a presentation, blood tests and a 1 to 1 with a dietician. The lady on the phone the other day told me that this normally takes about 2 hours in total. I'm not sure what happens at the second appointment but maybe thats when you meet the surgeon. I'm expecting a call on Tuesday/Wednesday to confirm my appointment so will keep you posted.

Hi Yes Im one of the girls from the Spire!Dont worry you will be fine Its a lovely hospital,Mr Kerrigan and his team bend over backwards to help.The first appointment is a presentation by a guy called Ken who had surgery himself,he is also a nurse.You see the dietician and then the doc who explains which op he thinks is best for you,depending on your weight and eating patterns.The next appointment was bloods,bp etc etc and I thought I would wait a few weeks for a date.They rang me the same afternoon and I had 1 week to get ready!I was done on 21st Feb and Ive lost over 3.5st I was 267lb to start and Im 56 so nearly the same as you.Where do you live hun?Its a wild ride from now on but its soooo worth it.If you have anymore questions ask away,Im in Maghull Liverpool.Maz x

Hi Maz did you only get 1 weeks notice? You only had 1 week to do the pre-op diet then?

Yes Mandy 1 week!Its enough to release the glycogen from your liver and that leaves it floppy and easy to move when they try to get at your stomach.How you doing?

1 week to get a floppy liver huh?
This is definately only the 'presentation' appt but im still a wreck.

Thanks for all the advice and the warm welcome. I KNOW i can't do this without support and sadly the only family i have here are my children and of my friends, there is only one who has been supportive.

Honestly, you'd think i was commiting a crime and was a complete failure because i 'need' this surgery..and these comments from 'friends' who smoke like chimneys and get drunk on a regular basis hmmph

WOW!! was really surprised to hear you can go from first appt to surgery so quickly, but i think i would be happier if this happened for me also.

Over the last year or more there has been no contact from drs etc about this and ive relapsed big time. Im really worried now ive resigned myself to the necessity if this, they will say go away and loose some more weight before we think of doing this. have done this twice and still waiting... its been nearly 7 months since my funding was approved...my head has been spinning with all the pros n cons since i received this letter...........

Yes Mandy 1 week!Its enough to release the glycogen from your liver and that leaves it floppy and easy to move when they try to get at your stomach.How you doing?

What pre-op diet did you do? All i can find here is about this milk diet, but im positive when i went to other meetings they talked about something different and was told its this other one that is more commonly used here??????

I'm ok Maz just anxious to get started now fingers crossed I will have a confirmed appt this week.

Leighz I know what you mean its all very quick but then its taken me 3 years to get here so I wll be glad if it goes quickly at the end. I have also gained weight and havent seen a Doctor for 6 months, but thats why I'm having the surgery. If I could do it myself I wouldnt be doing this so I wouldnt worry too much about it.. As long as you feel ready for change. I know its not going to be easy but I'm ready for it x

Thanks Manda.

And Mandy, you sound like you've read my mind...and perhaps living my life. Yes, a long arduous journey to get here both physically and emotionally. All trepidation aside, i just want this over with so i can move forward and start afresh.

Thanks for all the help everyone...........

Back