• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello & help! slipped on pre-op

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm shocked at how judgemental people are being. If it was easy to stick to strict diets NONE of us would need this forum as we wouldn't have weight loss problems. For the record and I know this is controversial, I made the decision not to follow a strict pre surgery diet. I followed my providers guidelines to eat as low fat as possible but did have some alcohol and did eat normal food. I accepted my pre op weight loss wouldn't be great (it was about 8lbs) but for me my journey was starting post op. I wasn't in denial or in the wrong frame of mind I decided this for myself. I had no problem with getting the band done and am currently successfully losing weight but still enjoying food and yes even wine. Yes we all want to be slim but I also want to enjoy life and I feel I have the right balance. If it takes twice as long to lose the weight so be it. Sorry for rant. Good luck to everyone, and remember its your own personal journey xx

The pre-op diet it's hard and it's bad that you slipped up however I have never seen such s nasty and disgusting comment about someone bleeding to death!

So you slipped up, its not the end of the world, just get right back on it as soon as you can. I only had a 7 day pre-op diet and I had one monumentally bad day. I phoned my bariatric nurse in tears, feeling an absolute failure and was told to stop stressing, not to worry and get right back on it which I did (I managed to lose a stone that week!) apparently my liver was "beautiful" according to my surgeon lol

The more you worry about it, the more likely you are to slip up again. Just take it one day at a time and you will be fine, I'm sure of it. Good luck with it all xx

I also think some of the replys to this lady are VERY harsh! I say the best thing to do is to get straight back on it and hope for the best
I can't really comment on pre op diets as my hospital doesn't make us do one so I was pretty much eating upto midnight the night before my op and it has been a major success
Good luck xxx

The pre-op diet it's hard and it's bad that you slipped up however I have never seen such s nasty and disgusting comment about someone bleeding to death!

Hang on a minute, Yvessa's comment about the possibility of bleeding to death if the liver gets damaged during surgery was to highlight the seriousness of the issue. This is a risky surgery and the size and density of the liver is an incredibly important factor. Slipping up because you cannot stand the hunger any more and eating something is one thing - going out for drinks is quite another. Alcohol is the worst thing you can do if you are on a liver shrinking diet, and in the end has nothing to do with food issues so that to me does make it seem like ItsRiRi may not understand the severity of this surgery. The pre-op diet is not about losing weight.

Yvessa's comment may have sounded harsh but I'd much rather have someone give me the cold, hard truth and a kick up the backside if I am putting myself in danger before going under the knife, than having people tell me what I am doing is not that big a deal.

ItsRiRi - please do not take this as people having a go at you. Take it for what it is - tough love from people who DO know what you are going through because they have been there too, and they want you to get through this surgery SAFELY. I wish you all the best and hope everything goes well xxx

I won't lecture you..... Because we are all humans, meaning we all fail at times. The most I can tell you is get back on track and I hope your surgery goes ahead and goes well...
All the best...
Xx

Last edited:
I can not believe how pious some people are about this. Sure point out the risks but to be so judgemental is not a nice trait. Especially as all off us should understand the struggles with dieting

I also slipped up on my pre op diet and drank a couple of glasses of wine, it made no difference and my liver was fine. When I spoke to the dietician she was very supportive and said put it behind you and tomorrows a new day.

Good Luck with your op.

I think as well as others, the fear of not getting the surgery kept me on track. However, we are human and the reason we do get surgery is because we struggle with diets. Again, judgement isn't healthy. I hope those who slipped up can get back on track, and somehow I don't understand how the fear of not getting the surgery doesn't keep people alert, but I am not judging and I wish you all the best. Also, the above mentioned idea of a sticky with tips, reasons and truth is a good idea, but we don't want to scare people away but help them, so it might be a good idea to think about how to phrase posts like that. X

I think the point people are trying to make is that it WASNT FOOD!!!
We can all understand the struggles with food, but to risk all the hoop jumping, the myriad of appointments, the cost to the NHS and your families concerns and risks to your own health on the operating table for a few drinks????

I honestly can not believe my eyes here... Comments such as I slipped up and was ok even though i guzzled a few alcholic beverages is just downright dangerous... People are going to come here, read this thread and think that it's all perfectly okay to cheat on their pre op diets because such and such was okay when they did so?! Just because you were fine dosen't mean everyone else will be..Please think before you write folks.

I'm quite shocked by what some people are saying here, and I'm worried that people aren't being prepared enough for this process.

Incidentally, does anyone else smell a troll?

I'm quite shocked by what some people are saying here, and I'm worried that people aren't being prepared enough for this process.

Most definitely fjinsc ;)

The original poster a troll?
Hmmmm I do get drawn in LOL

Yes but it depends what your provider tells you... I was not warned off alcohol being the worst, not sure if every provider tells you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back