• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello, I’m new to the group

Ninakate

Hi everyone, I’m hoping that you can give me the benefit of your experiences.

2 years ago my diabetes consultant recommended me for weight loss surgery - I had to wait 1 year to begin teir 3 (due to local funding issues) and then I completed 12 months of the “weigh forward” program in January 2018.

Last week my GP wrote to L&D hospital requesting for me to be seen in their Bariatric out-patient clinic. I have seen a copy of the GP’s referral letter so I know it’s been sent.

Now I’m just waiting for an appointment date and can’t help wondering how long it will take to get an appointment and after that how much longer the process will be before I will be given a date for surgery.

Thanks, Nina :)

Hi Nina, Sorry i can't help you, i didn't have my surgery at L&D but i just wanted to say welcome and good luck with the rest of your journey :) Xx

Hello and welcome. We have a few members under your hospital, so hopefully someone will see this and be able to help x

Hi @Ninakate, welcome to the forum! I'm at L&D and am nearing the end of tier 3. My initial referral from my doc was back in June '17 but my first appointment wasn't until November '17, so there was some waiting to do. Tier 3 starts from that first appointment and depending on your BMI, you may have to do that for 6 months or 1 year. If it's over 40 you'll do it for 6 months, which is what I've had to do and it's gone so fast! After you've cleared tier 3, they will refer you to the surgical team, but I don't know how long of a wait there is for that. @Ian2Big told me that between his last tier 3 appointment and his MDT was 7 weeks.

I think waiting for the very first appointment, for me at least, was the worst of it. You just want to get going!

Also, let me warn you, just in case you've never been to L&D, the parking situation is AWFUL! My husband and I usually get there 45 minutes early and just camp out in one of the carparks at the back of the hospital waiting like a couple of vultures for a space to open up.

Hi @OkieGirl I’m so glad I’ve found this forum every one seems so nice and supportive!

I’ve actually already completed tier 3 locally so my referral to Luton is now for tier 4 as our local hospital doesn’t offer surgery. My BMI is over 40 and I am diabetic (I inject insulin) and I have high blood pressure but unfortunately in my area all patients have to complete a 12 month tier 3 course. I did find the tier 3 course interesting although it really was just going over things I already knew, eg portion sizes, balanced diet, learning how to control stress and comfort eating, etc.

I know it’s just a waiting game now for my appointment date, and then for the surgery date, but I rush home from work every day hoping that there will be a letter on the door mat for me... I just need to be more chilled out although that’s so hard when you’re wishing you could have the operation tomorrow!!

Thanks for the car park tip - I will definitely bear that in mind xx

Hi @OkieGirl I’m so glad I’ve found this forum every one seems so nice and supportive!

I’ve actually already completed tier 3 locally so my referral to Luton is now for tier 4 as our local hospital doesn’t offer surgery. My BMI is over 40 and I am diabetic (I inject insulin) and I have high blood pressure but unfortunately in my area all patients have to complete a 12 month tier 3 course. I did find the tier 3 course interesting although it really was just going over things I already knew, eg portion sizes, balanced diet, learning how to control stress and comfort eating, etc.

I know it’s just a waiting game now for my appointment date, and then for the surgery date, but I rush home from work every day hoping that there will be a letter on the door mat for me... I just need to be more chilled out although that’s so hard when you’re wishing you could have the operation tomorrow!!

The forum is fantastic and I'm glad I stumbled across it!

From the time my GP sent my referral to when I got my letter from L&D was about a couple of months, if I remember rightly, but considering that you'll be going straight to tier 4, I wouldn't be able to guess how long it would take.

I live on the east coast and it takes us about 2 1/2 - 3 hours to get to the hospital. It's exhausting and more than a little frustrating when your appointment is only 10-15 minutes! It would be great if they did it at Norfolk and Norwich. That'd save me a load of time. Ah well, it'll be worth it in the end!

Welcome and good luck. I took 15 months from first appointment to having my surgery st Luton and now appreciate how lucky I was to get it as quickly as this. With regard to parking Bling another friend on this forum told me about Just Park where you can book a space on someone’s drive near the hospital. I used it last visit and it is excellent xx

The forum is fantastic and I'm glad I stumbled across it!

From the time my GP sent my referral to when I got my letter from L&D was about a couple of months, if I remember rightly, but considering that you'll be going straight to tier 4, I wouldn't be able to guess how long it would take.

I live on the east coast and it takes us about 2 1/2 - 3 hours to get to the hospital. It's exhausting and more than a little frustrating when your appointment is only 10-15 minutes! It would be great if they did it at Norfolk and Norwich. That'd save me a load of time. Ah well, it'll be worth it in the end!

Wow @OkieGirl I bet that is exhausting to travel so far for each appointment but as you say it’ll be worth it in the end!

I now realise I have been lucky that they run a tier 3 service locally to me as it involved a 2 hour group session every 2 weeks for 6 months and then once a month for the next 6 months. Luton is only a 45 min drive from me but that would have meant taking a lot more time out of work if I’d had to have traveled there and back for each session!

Good luck with the rest of your weight loss journey:)

Hi and welcome I’m also at L and D surgery booked for 27th March YAY, I’ve been today for my pre op, will update later on that, I’m in Norfolk and left home at 7am and arrived at 10.30am so it is a long drive and a long day today as appointment was also 3 hour but it’s soooooo going to be worth it I’ve been 21 months but did have a year assessment in that, have a read of my thread for some help on what to expect. Xxxx

Hi and welcome I’m also at L and D surgery booked for 27th March YAY, I’ve been today for my pre op, will update later on that, I’m in Norfolk and left home at 7am and arrived at 10.30am so it is a long drive and a long day today as appointment was also 3 hour but it’s soooooo going to be worth it I’ve been 21 months but did have a year assessment in that, have a read of my thread for some help on what to expect. Xxxx
Hope pre op went well, so close now lovely lady xx

Hi @Bling Babe OMG! Surgery in just a couple of weeks! You sound soooo excited and I’m so happy for you :woohoo:I have now followed you on here and will read your thread. Please keep us updated - I can’t wait to hear all about your operation and how things are going for you. Best of luck xx :hugs:

Aw thank you, I am very excited but eating far to much at the moment xx

Are you not on the milk diet at the yet? xx
No not yet at Luton we do it for 2 weeks pre op but we also have to do 4 weeks at the very beginning of our journey so I know I’ll be fine with it x

Hi hun I am also doing tier 3 at a hospital then being refered to Luton ( i think) So will be following your progress. I am on month 7 ( out of 12) it'd been a bumpy road. Good luck. Keep us posted hun xxx

Hi everyone, I’m hoping that you can give me the benefit of your experiences.

2 years ago my diabetes consultant recommended me for weight loss surgery - I had to wait 1 year to begin teir 3 (due to local funding issues) and then I completed 12 months of the “weigh forward” program in January 2018.

Last week my GP wrote to L&D hospital requesting for me to be seen in their Bariatric out-patient clinic. I have seen a copy of the GP’s referral letter so I know it’s been sent.

Now I’m just waiting for an appointment date and can’t help wondering how long it will take to get an appointment and after that how much longer the process will be before I will be given a date for surgery.

Thanks, Nina :)
Welcome to the forum Nina and good luck on your journey x

How are you doing hunny? Xxx

Hi @Lottiewishes I’m doing ok but I’m still waiting for an appointment date!! I’m just trying to put it to the back of my mind as the waiting is driving me crazy :mad:
How are you? Xx

Back