• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello!! Newbie here with questions!!

eglantine

Hello.
My name is Gerry and I am about to get a gastric band at Dolan Park this coming Friday (2nd Nov).
I have mixed feelings: nervous and excited at the same time! And also thinking "my God, what have I done!!!!"
I know I need to get banded, having yo-yoed with my weight all my adult life.
I have two young kids and find it hard keeping up with them. I am so out of breath it's scary...
My question is as follow: will I be able to take medicine tablets with the band?
I suffer badly from hay fever and have to take medication for it. The tablets are film coated so cannot be crushed or cut. They are the size of a small baked bean, a bit narrower. Might it become stuck in the stoma? What can I do about that?
My second question is regarding pain following surgery on Friday. What should I take? And how to take it? Crushed paracetamol tablets?
My last question is regarding drinking. Will I have to drink very small sips very slowly always, or can I drink normally. I usually drink quite quickly. Is that a big no-no?
Sorry to be asking all these questions.
Many thanks for your help.
Gerry xxx

Welcome Gerry and good Luck for 2nd you will find in the forum that the feelings you are having are quite normal. xx

Hello.
My name is Gerry and I am about to get a gastric band at Dolan Park this coming Friday (2nd Nov).
I have mixed feelings: nervous and excited at the same time! And also thinking "my God, what have I done!!!!"
I have two young kids and find it hard keeping up with them. I am so out of breath it's scary...
My question is as follow: will I be able to take medicine tablets with the band?
I suffer badly from hay fever and have to take medication for it. The tablets are film coated so cannot be crushed or cut. They are the size of a small baked bean, a bit narrower. Might it become stuck in the stoma? What can I do about that?
My second question is regarding pain following surgery on Friday. What should I take? And how to take it? Crushed paracetamol tablets?
My last question is regarding drinking. Will I have to drink very small sips very slowly always, or can I drink normally. I usually drink quite quickly. Is that a big no-no?
Gerry xxx

hi garry
i had band at dolan park 14th oct
was in room 28
the staff are so lovely and theatre staff
dont crush any pills as get stuck, got all my pills in liqiod form
get windezze as you MAY get trapped wind in left shoulder
i also got some rennies,

was sore on tummy for about wk but swelling going down now
was on liquids for 2 wks now on to the mushy food yummy

good luck
let me know how you get on

kay xx

Re. Tablets depends if they are crushable or slow release with an enteric coating? Enteric cant usually be crushed, need to ask yr GP who can prescribe an alternative. No gulping of drinks but should be able to drink quite normally after first days :)

Hi Gerry and welcome :) good luck with your op. I was banded at Dolan Park exactly 2 weeks ago and I could not fault my surgeon or the staff at the hospital. They will look after you well :)

Pain is very manageable after the op, I found that I didn't have as much pain as I thought I would. I had gas pain more than the actual incisions pain. Take Windeze or deflatin and you will have to suck them and spit when it gets really thin. No ibuprofen for 2 weeks but you can take soluble co codomol for the first couple of days and liquid paracetamol after that. They will send you home with a bottle but it's only 5 doses.

You will have to take all your meds in liquid format post op for 4 weeks. Try your GP for a prescription.

You won't be able to gulp but take small sips. I still can't gulp but can drink quicker with bigger sips.

Hope this helps :) ask anything you like, we're here to help xxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

lamornamiss said:
For pain relief try children's sugar free liquid paracetamol eg "Calpol"

I agree cal pol is a good idea as the soluble paracetamol tastes vile! You need quite a bit of cal pol for adult dose so maybe buy a cheap, generic one? :)

I had Sainsbury's own brand junior liquid paracetamol :) cheap and strawberry flavour - tastes really nice :) x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi.

Thank you all for your replies.
Concerning the medicine tablets, do we have to always take only liquid/soluble tablets, even when we are back on solid food? My hay fever tablets are taken in May, so in 6 months time? Even by then I won't be able to take them?
As for pain relief, I think I will get calpol.
Can I ask you which multivitamin supplement you took?
Thanks again!!
Gerry xxx

Hi.

Many thanks for all your replies.
Are we able to take tablets after 4 weeks? Or are we on liquid/soluble medication forever?
I think calpol sounds very appealing. Love the smell of it!
Which multivitamin do you all take?
Many thanks.
Gerry xxx

Many thanks for your replies.
For some reason I cannot reply using the app on my phone...
About medicine tablets, can we take tablets after 4 weeks or are we to take soluble/liquid medicine forever?
Calpol after surgery sounds appealling. I love the smell of it.
Can I ask you all which multivitamin you take?
Many thanks.
Gerry xxx

Sorry for my multiple postings!! As my reply did not appear, I just assumed it didn't work and I kept on replying!!
Silly me :-(

Hi Gerry, I was banded a week ago, not at Dolan park thou! I got given soluble paracetamol to take home and they allowed me to take gaviscon for acid and wind. I also took windeze tablets.
I take a chewable multivitamin (bassets) every morning and any other tablets (blood pressure, extra vit b complex and zinc) I chew into powder and drink with my morning cuppa.
I think you will be fine with the tablets, but either crush or cut them first ( or chew if not horrid).
Do not take any aspirin or ibuprofen based meds thou as they can cause ulcers in the new pouch
Good luck hon, you'll be fine xxx

Hello.
Gerry xxx

Many thanks for your replies.
For some reason I cannot reply using the app on my phone...
About medicine tablets, can we take tablets after 4 weeks or are we to take soluble/liquid medicine forever?
Calpol after surgery sounds appealling. I love the smell of it.
Can I ask you all which multivitamin you take?
Many thanks.
Gerry xxx

hi gerry
i have mitataim from doctor in liquid
its like pision

kay

Hi.

Thank you all for your replies.
Concerning the medicine tablets, do we have to always take only liquid/soluble tablets, even when we are back on solid food? My hay fever tablets are taken in May, so in 6 months time? Even by then I won't be able to take them?
As for pain relief, I think I will get calpol.
Can I ask you which multivitamin supplement you took?
Thanks again!!
Gerry xxx

Hi you should only need medication in liquid form for the first couple of weeks after that tablets should be ok to take.

SAS1 said:
Hi Gerry, I was banded a week ago, not at Dolan park thou! I got given soluble paracetamol to take home and they allowed me to take gaviscon for acid and wind. I also took windeze tablets.
I take a chewable multivitamin (bassets) every morning and any other tablets (blood pressure, extra vit b complex and zinc) I chew into powder and drink with my morning cuppa.
I think you will be fine with the tablets, but either crush or cut them first ( or chew if not horrid).
Do not take any aspirin or ibuprofen based meds thou as they can cause ulcers in the new pouch
Good luck hon, you'll be fine xxx

You chew them into a powder? OMG, I just had a nails dragging on a blackboard moment! Eek!

Hi and welcome!

I was banded over 3 years ago and was taking tablets ie contraceptive pill the day after my op.

I had dissolvable co codamol to take home but switched to 6+ calpol. I didnt need any pain relief after a few days.

You wont be able to gulp drinks when you have good restriction but you will be able to drink 'normally'.

Good luck, not long now x

Back