• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello there ......

Willow65

Hi everyone
Thought i would register and say hello. I have had PCT Funding agreed and will be having my Gastric Bypass in Macclesfield. I rang the hospital yesterday just to see where I am on the appt schedule and was told mid-late September. We had a holiday booked in October and have re-scheduled. I have a few thoughts/concerns and would love you to share your thoughts /comments.
1. can you eat normal food eventually just tiny amounts?
2. will i be in pain (yep i am a complete wuss)

well going to start reading some of your threads now.

thanks for reading xxxxx

Hello and welcome.

I'm a sleever but know the rules as they are roughly the same.

1. Depends what you call 'normal'. There are certain foods to avoid. Sugary and fatty foods might cause problems and things like bread. But 'generally' eating a healthy balanced diet but small amounts is the answer.

2. Unfortunately the majority of people are in pain BUT that's why you have morphine :) But the pain is relatively short-lived. I was off any pain medication in a week.

Are you going to Spire Regency in Macclesfield? I went there and its a really lovely place. I had Mr Li though.
They dont give the pain meds that most other hospitals do though, most WLS patients I hear of get patient controlled morphine pumps etc but I didnt, I got IV paracetamol and then one I could drink the next day I got oral co-codamol.
I must say though the worst thing I felt was exhausted, as though I had been hit by a truck, I wouldnt say that I was in severe pain, just discomfort and lots of wind. Its totally worth it though.
Steph xx

Hi Willow - welcome ! I have to say the only time I experienced any real pain was when I came round in recovery and I think I was given some morphine. For the rest of my stay in hospital (6 days) I declined all offers of pain relief as I didn't need any. I did take Paracetamol regularly once I was home though, as I was a lot more active - I wouldn't say it was painful, more like an occasional sharp stitch in my side.

Hello and welcome to the site.

I only felt discomfort and had a morphine pump which I used, being a wuss to. The feeling was like being very very full, but other than then no pain.

I can eat everything now but must always chew and only in small amounts. I would say I am back to normal in that I can go out and eat anywhere, no one would know I had surgery, but only eat child size portions now.

Best wishes and good luck on your journey xxx

Hello and welcome.
I only needed one shot of morphine in hospital and managed after that with paracetamol and codeine. Yes its uncomfortable, particularly when the post op trapped wind kicks in but it eases with time.
With regards to food, i've been very lucky and there's not a single thing i'm unable to eat. The difference is its tiny amounts and as mixxy said some people have problems with high fat / high sugar foods. I can only have two small pieces of chocolate or one spoon of pudding otherwise i feel poorly - but to be honest if i'm craving something like that, a small taste is enough to satisfy me now.
Good luck x x

HI Willow and welcome to the site.

I had my surgery 10 days ago and probably had more pain than many. :(

I had morphine injections for the firt couple of days, then oral morphine. Apart from in recovery, it wasn't horrendous though....very very uncomfortable I would say.

I'm now taking paracetamol and voltarol (an anti-inflammatory drug) and lots of Deflatine for wind. Wind is the worst pain now, definitely!

As for what I can eat - I'm on a pureed diet for the next 20 days!

oh my god ...... thanks for all the information - I dont know you all but WoW!!!! I feel so proud of you all and what you've all done to get this far.

xxxx

charis, are u on voltarol all the time huni, i used to be on arthrotec, which is diclofenac plus summat to stop it irritating your tummy, but ive been told now i cant take it anymore, in fact i cant take any 'nsaid's', which includes aspirin, and ibruprofin, at all. im just wondering what u were told about it, cos if theyve told you its ok, i might just bring it up with my doctors about it, i really miss taking it, and am in a lot more pain because im not allowed it. thanks in advance for your reply huni, hugs dawny x

Hi Willow,

I had my surgery at Macclesfield too, although my surgeon left after some news scandal last year! I was given IM dihydracodeine post op as my back was in a lot of pain from being flat on the table, but that is particular to my disability. The staff are lovely, but I don't much rate the dieticians. I'm now under Spire Wirral for my aftercare, as when I fell pregnant at 8 months post op I explained that it was too far to travel and asked to be transferred.

I didn't experience any wind pain, and by the time I was discharged I was off all painkillers. I can now eat anything, although obviously I have to be careful with sugars.

I had an open bypass as my pct is too tight to pay for keyhole so i now have a scar about 8 inches long down my tummy. I have to say i stopped the morphine on the evening of my operation and had soluble paracetamol for 2 days. Pain? Not really, Discomfort? Hell yes but everyday was better than the last one and i've never once regretted my surgery.

I can eat most things, sugars don't make me dump but i am making a concerted effort to avoid them. I haven't risked chocolate as i daren't, if i could eat it old habits would kick me big time....

Life is as normal in our house, we just don't eat rubbish very often. Like Mary we eat out but my portions are very small :) xx

charis, are u on voltarol all the time huni, i used to be on arthrotec, which is diclofenac plus summat to stop it irritating your tummy, but ive been told now i cant take it anymore, in fact i cant take any 'nsaid's', which includes aspirin, and ibruprofin, at all. im just wondering what u were told about it, cos if theyve told you its ok, i might just bring it up with my doctors about it, i really miss taking it, and am in a lot more pain because im not allowed it. thanks in advance for your reply huni, hugs dawny x
hi Dawny. I'm taking voltarol three times a day to control post-op pain/inflammation. It was prescribed by the hospital and they told me it would be fine as long as I took them with food. I don't plan on being on them long-term though. I've got IBS and diverticulitis, both of which won't like voltarol!

Hi,

Can't help you with your questions as I am pre op but you will find lots of help and guidance here.

Good luck on your weight loss journey. :)

Hi love! Found ya lol. So made up you've got your date :) Thanks for phoning me and letting me know :) No footie training this week so i'll see you next sat MWAH xxx

P.S Hope you managed to get that book :) xxx

Sorry all - you know when i said "eat normal" what i actually meant was mouth fulls (if you know what i mean). do you always have to chew everything for half a day before you swallow?

Cheers xx

Nope! In the early days you have to adjust your eating, taking very small mouthfuls and chewing well, otherwise you get trapped wind in your pouch which is INCREDIBLY painful!

At my stage, this isn't necessary anymore, but I tend to eat smaller bites and slower now anyway partly out of habit and partly to savour the flavours as the quantity I eat is a lot less so if I ate at the same speed as previously, I'd be finished in seconds :)

Back